Skip navigation

The diesel daily!

Back to the top

The diesel daily!

GAMMYGOLFGTI said

Sorry to hear your still having problems  :? , this is truly becoming a test of faith  8O

Your old drivers seat looks miles better than mine, if you still have it come Bristol Volksfest in June, I'll have it  :mrgreen:

it's yours mate!

:mrgreen:

Back to the top
It's back!!!  :cheer: … again  :mrgreen: … for now.  :?

Back to the top
does that mean you've fixed it?

them tool that you were after i've found some here

vwdieselparts.com

Banner

Back to the top

jellybelly said

does that mean you've fixed it?

them tool that you were after i've found some here

vwdieselparts.com

Yep it's back.. A little more tappy than before but definately back! It looks like they rent those tools jelly? the one I saw on ebay went for about 12 quid. I just can't believe that it's that hard to get hold of. managed to use a flat blade screwdriver and an oil seal remover in the end but would be cool to have the right tool and do them all properly.

Back to the top
do you know the number of the tools you need?

Banner

Back to the top

jellybelly said

do you know the number of the tools you need?

from what I can work out it's a hazet 2574-1 but it's now deleted and the ones that are around are going for about 40-50 quid. (I can put up with a bit of tapping for the minute  :mrgreen: )

Back to the top
…. and we've stopped again  :banghead: timing looks to have jumped again, same symptoms as last time. will report more tomorrow.. one thing I have noticed is that the cam pulley is slightly left of centre which is a bit baffling.. will let you know what I find.

Back to the top
What I found was a snapped cam and scored journals on the cam so a knackered head as a bonus. Don't know whether to cut my losses and go 1.9d or try and source another head. It all depends on availability and or if the bottom end has any damage will find out more when I take the head off tomorrow.. will this car ever become reliable?? why don't we have a crying smiley?

Back to the top
:cry:

Banner

Back to the top
Well it's been worked out why the timing was jumping and my cam now looks like this.

and a shim looks like this..

..and I have a bent valve..

needless to say it was an error on my part and won't be making the same mistake again .. ever.

anyway moving on. I'm now on the lookout for a head, have you got one? can I buy it?

Back to the top
So I managed to find a head albeit attatched to an engine from crazyquiff 1.6d mechanical head and all is looking good money changed hands and it was on it's way back to bristol. dropped it off for the night as it was late (tuesday) i'll finish stripping it thursday night.. Engine stripped down no cracks between the valves looks like quite a new head perhaps my luck is changing? 1 piston looks like it's had something drop onto it as there is marks on it and there is quite a bit of sideways movement on the piston can't really sell it on because I don't really want the comeback if it isn't any good. so into the scrapbin in work it goes. go to fit it on my 1.6 block today and the head isn't lining up on the gasket??? strange I thought everything looks ok and the I notice that the crankcase return on the front of the head is smaller. Great I've got a 1.5 head. hoping now that the same solution as the previous owner used will get me out of my eternal nightmare 1.5 gasket on order monday then. oh and the headbolts are 11mm on the 1.5d rather than 12mm on the 1.6d so they got round this problem by boring out the bolt holes on the head.. At least i'm learning the ins and outs of these old diesel engines. Shame i'm 30 years to late. I mean to be fair it looks like the engine was running fine like this as there was decent coke build up on head and piston tops so it can't be that bad and the overall condition of the engine looks good just wish I could maybe catch a break at some point. :cry:  :cry:

Back to the top

This is the difference between the 1.5 and 1.6 gaskets.. quite alot I think you'll agree..  :banghead:

also the 12mm 1.6 bolts seem to have fixed washer where as the 11mm bolt on the 1.5 have detatchable washer which I have sourced 10 of from TPS..

Fingers crossed i'm back on the road for the weekend!!

Back to the top
Well it happened!! The Blue Ba**rd is back…. Again!!

All re-timed and clacking again quite happily everything has gone back together and the head and block problem doesn't seem to exist although you can see from the pic that it must be borderline on the gasket..

But as of yet no leaks (other than the sump gasket which looks to have given up  :? ) so fingers crossed.. So happy to be back in it it's untrue!  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

Back to the top
Turns out it isn't the sump gasket but the front crank oil seal but hey it's not disastrous even if it is a little more complicated than the sump.. 5 days of trouble free motoring under my belt think i've finally turned "that" corner  :cheer:

Fitted a new aerial yesterday evening and this evening began to try and modernise by putting in my cigarette lighter ashtray!
Changed the loom which was like this

Note the switched live blue wire that's been swinging in the wind in the dash for quite a while by the looks of it  8O
For the more meaty cigarette lighter one which has got slighty heavier cable to handle the extra oomph.

VW helpfully make the plug just that little bit different..

No bother though as the spade connecters just clip out of the plug and into the old one, the spades for the heater facia i'm gonna need to patch onto the other though as they are different all plugged in and all seems to be working apart from the cigarette lighter and the light surround it's got a feed so I just think it's knackered. Has anyone ever bought one of the copy ones from ebay? the termination looks diferent can anyone confirm this? also how do I get the old one from the surround? It's loose but doesn't want to work free here is some pics any help is appreciated

cheers.

Back to the top
So has anyone used one of them copy cigarettte lighters off ebay?

Did a little bit of tarting up this weekend seeing as we seem to have some sort of consistancy on day to day running at the moment so I installed the stereo but it's so old that it has no speaker earths an so it just earths of the chassis which is a bit strange and so I think suffers on sound quality a little.. as much as I like it think I might have to install something a little newer

got a nice new sparkly chrome aerial off wilkodirect via ebay which means I can get radio all the time not just when i'm between buildings!

Then installed the door trim kindly sent by warren aka gammy (a truly thoroughly nice chap!) which now makes the car look a bit more balanced

and then looked into why my passenger side window doesn't open and found this…

also saw what was keeping my window from falling to the bottom of the door.

More bits for the shopping list  :mrgreen:

also reversed into my parking space last night only to notice I had no brake lights (well it wouldn't be the same car if everything continued to work reliably would it?) tried the fuse which is fine and bulbs which were fine..  checked the switches and turns out it's just the terminals which had gone manky and green. Bit of switch cleaner and they are right as rain again.. Happy days!!

Back to the top
just had a skim though your thread mate :)

iv missed alot lol. you have had some BAAD luck havnt you lol.

seems like its getting there tho :)

booze and boredom, the greatest mix :)

Back to the top
My hat goes off to you for your persistence with this car. I hope it was all worth it and she finally gives you some trouble-free motoring. Looking good now.

Back to the top
Looking good, glad to see you've got her reliable (fingers crossed, cos I know you've had some awfull suprises over the last 6 months)

But have to say I nearly spat my cup of tea out when I saw this photo  :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:

Been there done it   :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

Back to the top
Amazing isn't it … even got a barcode so I can order another 1!  :mrgreen:…  As a sidenote I lost all my heater wipers washer and horn on monday.. after a bit of headscratching and swearing dad came into his own again and found out it was the cross over relay aka no.17 which has been superceded numerous times and is now 7m0951253a and will be on order tomorrow so I can drive it in the rain again!

diesel-dubber did you have the pt. no for that light seal stuff?

Back to the top
Sorry, forgot about that! The part number I have is AKD49704R10. Hopefully that's the right one. It's referred to as 'sealing cord' and is black pre-formed strips of putty stuff. I know a few people who swear by it for stopping leaks around lights especially.
Trouble is, VW might now only do it in boxes of 10 metres at £40 a pop. If that's the case, it might be worth five or so of us clubbing together (myself included) to buy a couple of metres each at £8 ish.
I think they use the same stuff and use the same part number at Seat dealers. Maybe it's a bit cheaper from there?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.