Skip navigation

The diesel daily!

Back to the top

The diesel daily!

Stick with it and you'll end up with a good 'un. A few new parts and she'll be trouble-free for years!
Quite like your sticker.
I got a little circular sticker saying, 'I'm in lurve with my Derv' for the back window.  :roll:

Back to the top
New (secondhand) diesel pump going on this weekend and then it should be drip free again whoo hoo!!!!! then I can get on with making it a bit more hospitable in there! finally fit a stereo and sort out my interior leaks!

Just under 2 weeks of drippy trouble free motoring so far!

:D

Back to the top
Fitted the secondhand pump on saturday aaaand…. it leaks worse than the old one  :banghead: at least I know what a throttle spindle diesel leak looks like now. Not really drivable with it like that as the diesel was running out of there and down over the cam pulley.. and so it was back to the old pump again. dab hand at changing them now though. So my options are get the seal changed on the spindle at a cost of around 150 + vat or take a gamble on another seond hand pump or buy a pump from volks-apart (volkswagenspares) at 75 + with a 3 mth warranty… not to worry though MOT next week  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

It's still looks nice though.

Back to the top
I would say get this one fixed mate

Atleast you are guaranteed it will not leak for years to come

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top
..And the throttle rubber (fibre) grommet broke up this morning…

Thinking maybe "christine" is a better name for it….

Back to the top
Did the pedal drop to the floor? I thought diesel ones had a C clip so it didn't matter even if the rubber disintigrated. Feel for ya…are you sure the reg number doesn't contain '666'?  :cry:

Back to the top
No c clip on mine mate just a fibre top hat bush .. more east Germany than west Germany!! Starting to think somebody might have changed the plate from that though..

Back to the top
Alot has happened since the last update. Fuel pump is now sorted £120 +vat at tom day in keynsham and now it's nice and dry!! That's one thing off the list!!! old pump off new pump on re-timed in under 2 hrs.. get in!!! started on the button and running with the timing spot on starts like a dream and runs even better.. Too good to be true isn't it? still some fumes coming off the block maybe just the old diesel and water burning off, Just take it for a quick spin round the block to see how it drives. Spot on!.. Still a bit of vapour coming from the grille so I pop the bonnet.. One hose of the water pump is leaking and the hose off the block is about to split in half!! firing hot water onto the block and causing enough steam to open a 1000 envelopes!!!!! not quite on the road yet then.

As you can see the middle hose is bursting on the join at the pump

And the dripping one from the head after it had "calmed down" a bit

It literally came away from the jubilee clip as I gave it a little pull. glad it happened outside my place rather than out on the road!

A phone call to TPS the next day results in one hose being ordered (the one from the head to the matrix) and the other (the stepped hose from the water pump to the metal heater pipe) having been deleted!?!? oh no. it strikes again. In the mean time (at about 4pm) TPS phone me back and say the other hose is on back order. It just gets better.

I know I'll give GSF a call… one short phone call later and both (topran hoses) are on order for around £8 + vat!! Fantastic!! Good old GSF! should really give them a call first in the future..

Get home and get on with the task of fitting the hoses. Hose from the head is the proverbial piece of but the one on the water pump with the step is not so easy. Tried everything .. chucking the hose in boiling water fitting increasingly larger sockets into the end and as soon as it gets anywhere near the car it's contracted again… much sweating and swearing and about a hour and a half later it's on. i'm still not convinced it's the right hose but it's on….. just about.

OK then all ready for the MOT! oh yeah just that indicator problem to sort out. change the hazard switch and still the same fault, Indicators work with the hazard switch half way and the hazards work fine but with the hazards switched off no indicators just a constant light on the dash and no lamps lit??? Oh well it's too late now I'll just have to let the garage take a look.

I swear my garage hears the golf rattling towards him and seriously considers shutting up shop. I would. Anyway I drop it down Friday afternoon and as it wasn't booked in I kind of guessed I would have another weekend without it .. something i'm getting used to! monday rolls round and I hear nothing. good sign? Get a call this tuesday morning at work to "send down a wheel cylinder".. perhaps my luck is changing after all. hear nothing until after lunch. "come down and collect your car" I didn't push the matter but made my way down to the garage where I was presented with 12 months of MOT goodness!!!! WHOO HOO!!! happy was an understatement! "how did you solve the indicator problem?"

"Changed the fuse ( :banghead: )…. The real problem was the fog lights"

as far as I knew they were working

"well they definately weren't" was his blunt reply

He went onto say that he changed the bulbs, checked the fuses, checked the wiring but still nothing, he said he was cursing and scratching his head and went in to input the details onto MOT computer when his mate came in and said "you got the fog lights working on the golf then?" "very funny" he said "no seriously they are working" he went and checked and as if by magic they were working fine… I'm glad it's not just me it hates!

And so we are back on the road… for now. despite all my cold walks to work It still doen't make me angry i'm still just happy to be back in a mk1 again  :mrgreen:

Think water is getting in somewhere…

Seats out, load liner out, carpet out and much mushy stinking sound deadening.

okay so now it's dry out with the hose. Chucked some water over the tailgate as I thought water was coming in at the rusty hole on the bootlid but my silicone seems to be holding up quite well there.. Can see a little coming in on the tailight lenses (Are just seals available for these?) … I't s alot of water for the dribble that's coming in around the lamps though. So I run some water over the join between the tailgate lid and body and the water seems to be widdling in behind the rear quarter headlining and over the rear arch down into the footwell… Okay so I know where it is coming from but how is it getting in??? No sunroof. Only thing I can think of is the wiring and rear wash grommets on the tailgate. Phone call to TPS and yet another deleted part ( :banghead: )

"I can order them from VW Classic though"

Fantastic!! so they should be here sometime the end of next week!! Anyone fitted these before? Is there a break in the wiring or do you need to feed the whole lot back through?

On a happier note I managed to buy a full GX interior (Parcel shelf and carpets) For £40!!!

Manky lifeless old seats..

Back to the top
Nice one Blan,

Hang in there
All will be sorted

Do let me know if ur old parcel shelf is in good nick

Cheers

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top
nice work

you should have said us diesel boy need to stick together

i have a spare rear washer that you could have had :(

Banner

Back to the top
Parcel shelf is a bit saggy but no massive 6X9 size holes though.. maybe can be braced somehow?

.. Oh and was driving into work on saturday and it cut out. Tried to restart and it engages but doesn't fire. Went to visit it on saturday lunchtime after work to change the battery and still the same symptoms. got a bar on the camshaft bolt and it turns about 1/4 of a turn and goes solid  :banghead: Thinking maybe the cambelt has jumped a tooth. will investigate further tomorrow. back to walking to work tomorrow then.

:eek:

Back to the top
The belt has definately slipped but there are no teeth stripped from the belt and no slack on the tensioner.. anyone offer any suggestions?

as a sideline we took the cam out to free the stuck valve and rotated the engine but there are no metallic sounds (which is something to be thankful for .. I guess) but this had happened.

And another one was fractured so was on it's way to being like that too.

This for anyone who doesn't know is the hydraulic bucket that sits over the valve and here's what it should look like.

As you can see quite a difference..  :banghead: That would explain those marks on the pistons in my previous pics I think they have been running like this for some time as the break isn't particularly clean. here's the top of the bucket where the valve was trying to escape.

I bought this car from someone who bought it from quite a reputable source but I'm glad i'm never going to buy a car from him and can't believe he sold it on in quite such a poor state of repair. the timing marks that were on it were way off and dabs of orange paint were all over the pulleys.. Don't quite know what as wrong with using VW's timing marks they are quite good at building cars so I would follow by their example had it have been me???

Shopping for hydraulic buckets tomorrow…  :cry:

Back to the top
oh dear,thats been run wih piston/valve making contact,what head gasket has it got on? 1,2,or 3 nothces? did you measure piston protrusion to check for correct gasket? has the head been skimmed more than once? or has mr orange paint not timed it up properly by setting the camshaft with the bar method?
hope the head hasnt got damaged tappet bores mate,dont want to worry you but ive known a repair being done fine,then a month later a couple of valve heads drop off due to impact stresses and scrap a piston or 2  :|
Cant believe the bad luck your having with this derv,time for AAZ conversion  8)
Bert

Thats not a rod knockin,its a diesel stupid! floppy top and 1 tin top

Back to the top
It had a skim and it's on the 3 notch (thickest gasket) bert. whats wrong with using a bar to lock the cam? really don't want to change the engine unless it's really necessary want to run it (kind of) standard if you know what I mean?? finding it difficult to find the valve spring compressor tool for setting the tappets and the hydraulic buckets to replace my dead ones… any ideas?

Back to the top
got my valve spring compressor from halfords :)

Banner

Back to the top
Feel for ya with these probs.  :evil: You should rename it the Blue Bas****
Not your biggest problem at the moment I know, but you can get that rubbery sealant from VW dealers to go round your back lights - the proper stuff for the job, just buy it in whatever length you need.

Back to the top

blans said

It had a skim and it's on the 3 notch (thickest gasket) bert. whats wrong with using a bar to lock the cam? really don't want to change the engine unless it's really necessary want to run it (kind of) standard if you know what I mean?? finding it difficult to find the valve spring compressor tool for setting the tappets and the hydraulic buckets to replace my dead ones… any ideas?

i meant did you use the bar method to time the cam up? the orange paint shows someone didnt and it may have been out a bit,theres no keyway on the cam,
these diesels are shimmed camshafts not hydraulic tappets arnt they? been a while,i know my 1.9 is hydraulic and my mk2 jetta td is hydraulic,
Bert

Thats not a rod knockin,its a diesel stupid! floppy top and 1 tin top

Back to the top
Yeah angle iron on the cam to lock to the head.. The timing was spot on when me and pops did it, Started on the button and everything which is why I am still miffed that it jumped and showed no signs as to why it did???? Yeah the buckets are shimmed and are a ba**ard to get hold of as well!! Luckily we have a direct acount with Febi in work who are what looks like the only people that still make them and the shims as it seems like there are no aftermarket parts for them now which is strange as my GTI has the same set up and from memory so does everything 1.5 - 1.8 upto 83  :dontknow:

Diesel do you know the part no. for that seal? thought I was on a dead end with that too was just about to get the black mastic out!!

Jelly that tool I'm after looks like it's been deleted too.. it's not a normal spring compressor but a screwdriver type thing so you can get the shims out without removing the cam. there was one on ebay but as is usual with my luck at the moment the auction finished the day before my car died!?!?!?  :banghead:

it's one of these. (bottom)

Back to the top
I need to get my timing sorting

Thanks God i have Bert for that :mrgreen:

Praise the Lord :wink:

Hope you sort it out mate

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top
Sorry to hear your still having problems  :? , this is truly becoming a test of faith  8O

Your old drivers seat looks miles better than mine, if you still have it come Bristol Volksfest in June, I'll have it  :mrgreen:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.