Skip navigation

project lead foot - resto underway!!

Back to the top

project lead foot - resto underway!!

Is all of that white stuff where you have made your cuts filler?

Back to the top
unfortunatley yes! the rear quaters are full of it where panels have be welded ontop of each other! 7mm thick in places!

mk1 golf - resto
mk3 polo breadie - daily banger

Back to the top
bonsoir,

goin to attempt the rear arch inner tub half replacement soon. slightly daunting! dnt want it in the wrong place at all so i made a frame/jig that will allow the new tub to go back in line….i hope.

knocked this "masterpiece" uptonight, it comprises of two metal "pipes" that are the same diameter as the hole that the shocks goes through. i flared the ends so the they wont go all the way though the hole and the welded a bar/pipe accoss them.
made a frame for the floor that butts up against the rear panel on the off side an shaped it so it slots round the turret.
i then joined the frame and top half together with random right angle sheet steel. i addded two more pieces for more postion markers.

will it work, who knows….

looks strangley like grown up mechano…

mk1 golf - resto

Back to the top
howdy,

today i hacked the rusty rear wheel arch tub out, it was a very sucky job to do. lots of rust flying everywhere an such. this is by far the rustiest part of the whole car and is a right pain in the arse which bit to do first!!!

i also put the car back on axle stands to for support asa large piece was gettin chopped out, i stood and sat in my car for the first time in a year today. floor pan took my weight so welds appear to be strong enough…..he hopes

where a tub used to live

inside the chassis legs. the rotted out too :(

this is the new tub i have to go in i got from fellow member millfishk69 who was cuttin up a shell. the front corner has had a repair to it previously and needs to be done again but the rest is solid and a million times better than what i had haha.
today i stripped the underseal off of it and removed the leftover bit of the other side of the tub by drilling out the spot welds. fricking 47 of em!!!!!  blunted my drill bit too!!!

new arch, my cars guna be 1/16 lhasa green now…sweet.

more progress this week hopefully.

mk1 golf - resto

Back to the top
you sir are crazy. i was contemplating getting a whole new tub for mine but decided i really wasnt feeling up to it so i've just patched the worst bits. i dread to think what the inside of my chassis rails look like after seeing yours. good luck getting the new 1 back in.

Back to the top
Wow. Hats off to you! You must have some serious patience, time and skill. I would've walked away a long time ago! Will be worth it in the end though.

Mk1 Gti Cabby project on the go! Detailed engine, roof off, leather interior, 16's, painted, now getting put back together!

http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=103263&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc

Back to the top
gday,

cheers guys, i wouldent recommend this job to anyone, it has really tested my patience these last few days, as all the surround bits were still attached to the new tub when i got it it feels like ive had to remove 2 tubs instead of one.  

but after two days of cutting, trimming, grinding, drilling, swearing and more drilling i got it to slot into place nicely. wasnt really the sort of this u wana just hack into then make it fit afterwards.had to be right!

woop, woop!

i could start welding it in but i wana reapir that corner of the floor first and the rear axle chassis mounting point too. guna be an interestin shape to make!!

this is the hole i had to cut in the end, BARE GAPE
u can see the rotted other half and filler neck hole rotted lol.

mk1 golf - resto

Back to the top
ola,

got a few hours in this afternoon and did sumin i find quite enjoyable now, seems to be alot of fun compared to cuttin and pokin at rust. a solid piece of metal you say…..

after a wile measuring, contemplating then cuttin a template for this then spent maby an hour or two hammering i ended up with this rusclart.

this will live in this hole,  decided to make this floor section in 2 or 3 sections. im not good enough with a hammer to make the hole panel in one! maby oneday….

more hammering tomoro :)

mk1 golf - resto

Back to the top
BLOODY HELL! Got on to your post thinking I'll have a quick look before bed-that was over an hour ago. As was mentioned earlier-you sir are crazy!!! Also as was said earlier I admire your commitment and tenacity!! On one hand I am amazed and on the other incredibly worried! My car seems to be in generally good nick in comparison but as I have not dug very deep, you have made me realise that I actually have no idea what condition it is in!

Where in the world are you (cronx I am not familiar with!)?

Hats off to you and best of luck!!

Back to the top
thanks mick, im from croydon, south east london. im sure your car could not be as bad as mine. i knew mine was bad before hand but not this bad hahah.

today was equally as testing as yesterday, my panel i made yesterday now fits nicely but the axle mount point repair panel on the other hand…..mmmm not so much.  i mean way off.
i remember the other side was a pig to get on but now i have nothin to go against as its all rotten an cant hammer it and weld it like i did the other side as it was  on my jig but on axle stands now!!!

guna take it to work tomoro an get sum seriouse heat on it an try reshape it abit better. i did drill, trim an prep it for welding though. only thing worth showin you lot today really lol.

mk1 golf - resto

Back to the top
yo,

its in, welded the tub in today. havent welded all the way round the floor as theres still sum rotten bits onit an theres no point trying to weld to rust if ur jus guna cut it out! def need a skim o filler on that top quater panel haha.

everything on my jig lines up ok

i also got this floor piece i made welded in. welded it to the top curve of the floor for now to keep the shape and such.

all welded and sprayed up for now. really contemplating buyin a whole boot floor. so many bits that would need to be patched and fabricated. would it be cheaper and less time consumin to get a whole floor?

mk1 golf - resto

Back to the top
Best Resto thread I've seen in ages.  Absolutely ingenious work sir, Congratulations and keep it up!  I'm Not far from the Cronx in East Dulwich and work in Camberwell keep an eye out for lhasa green Gti tearing up the SE streets.    :wink:

Back to the top
haha cheers man i will keep an eye out as my garage is in norwood so wel close. can seem to hear mk1s from a mile off too ;) my cars part lhasa green now. well happy...

mk1 golf - resto

Back to the top
omg and i thought my car had some rust , thats some great work you have done there pall . hats off.

Back to the top
Brilliant. Well, good luck with the work and I look forward to seeing her when she's up and running. If you're ever round my way and fancy a cuppa or a beer let us know.
Gi

Back to the top
hi there,

today i  repaired the front corner of the tub i  jus put in, was a pain to make the shape and didnt want to fit for ages then it jus seemed to fall into place haha. result!

started with a cardbourd template an then onto a sheet,

lots of hammering later i ended up with this

i then cut this rotted bit out of the arch

then welded it in, not the tidiest weldin ive done but will suffice lol.

will finish it off with abit of grinding tomoro then set about gettin the other half of the tub in.

mk1 golf - resto

Back to the top
Nice repair chap  8) I made a mess of mine, which is why I just bought a new arch tub to replace the lot, altough can't say I'm looking forward to doing it, reckon it may be a tad tricky!

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
where did you get the whole new arch from? i couldent find one so i had to get a 2nd hand one. got the other half to it now tho.

you can have my jig if you want as i dnt need it anymore. jus gota come get it is all.

mk1 golf - resto

Back to the top
From here - http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Rear-Wheel-Arch-Tub-Right-G1_act_shop.product_pID_35800763_lang_EN_country_GB.htm

It was the last one on his shelf although don't know if that means that they can't get more. Frustratingly I forgot to use my member discount!  :banghead: Doh!

Jig would be useful, was looking to make something, where would I have to get it from?

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
ah dammit why couldent i find that panel when i looked on there? thats well weird. ah well its done now! my jig is in croydon. i think its like 130 miles from you though!!!

mk1 golf - resto
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.