Skip navigation

project lead foot - resto underway!!

Back to the top

project lead foot - resto underway!!

hi,

ddnt manage to get to the garage tonight but did have a parcel waiting for me when i got back from work.

got some por-15 products to help with the rust problem lol. got bits to properly clean it up first too

some paint for the engine. was guna go with austin healy green an i still might do but i couldent resist maroon, saw it on a mg at a car show the other week and it looked sweet so thort id give it a try!

should hopefully look suimin like this but less vee'y…

thanks to www.mgexperience.net for the pik  :wink:

mk1 golf - resto
mk3 polo breadie - daily banger

Back to the top
ola peeps,

started on the drivers side now, rust not as bad in the other side in some places but alot worse in others, either way im guna be havin fun for a while with this one haha,

the problem areas in no particular order……….

front corner of sill where it meets the back of the wheel arch and floo0r section….rotten

inside of the rear wheel arch. fuel filler hole gone, infact the whole wheel arch/tub is completely shot where it had been previously plated……rotten

behind the chassis/floor strenthening rail thing and the rest of the floor…..rotten

check this badboy out, the chassis leg with tow eye and jack point…..definetley rotten.

last night and tonight i started hacking out the front corner and makeing panels to replace the rot with. guna make my way along the sill to the end of the floor pan then do the back of the floor pan then replace the whole floor pan.joooooy.

repair panels so far…

got the day off tomoro so guna get the ol mig fired up….yeehar. :twisted:

mk1 golf - resto

Back to the top
hi,

welded in the reapir panels i made during the week today. got what i wanted done today so im happy.

started off welding this lil piece in

then this piece. didnt weld the bottom at this point as there was another repair to be done below it

the inner sill reapair was next this was plug welded at the front the the previouse piece that went in but is only tacked inplace along the edge at the moment , not guna seam wels it till the floor pan is in place to stop it distorting.

then put the last bit in here, luckley the bit that coverd the wishbone mount was salvageable so i ddnt have to go that far down like i did on the other side.

all ground down, the jack point needs to be welded on but will be sand blasted first and i also need to make a strenghthenin piece to go in then that bits done. guna move along the inner sill and do the repairs till i order my self a floor pan!

:)

mk1 golf - resto

Back to the top
hey kids,

been hacking at the golf again and guess what i found. u guessed right….

how much filler on that rear panel? wernt even the thickest part.

did some good though, got this lil bit in where the strengthening raised bit used to be.

this is it welded in and sprayed an stuff. needs alil hammer workcan get to it when the floor pans out.

cutn this bit out which is to the end of the floor pan.

and got this bit to go in, didnt have time to weld it in tho. need to order floor pan now.!

mk1 golf - resto

Back to the top
Hi
great work
Just going start rear arches.
What did you use to cut panels?
I have a grinder with a cutting blade but the blades are 3mm thick. Not a delicate tool.
cheers
CC

Back to the top
Nice work

Mk1 Golf Gti Abf conversion Project
Mk2 Golf Gti 16v
Mini Cooper S R53 (Daily)

Back to the top
concunningham - i used 1mm plasma discs from machince mart http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/pd1-plasma-cutting-disc-41-2in
there good for gettin cuts bang on the line you mark out but do wear out alot quiker than the thick discs so dont be aggresive with them,  i use a flap wheel for any fine adjustments to the panels.

lukeybabes - cheers dude.

i ended up goin back to my garage as i was bord and welded in the repair piece i made for the inner sill and i drilled out the spot welds for the beam that goes across the floor that the seats mount too ready for the floor to come out. what a fun filled sunday night. will get the floor pan this weeek when i get paid.

mk1 golf - resto

Back to the top
thanks mate
panels arriving this week

Back to the top
yo,

got a new fuel tank as the old one was wel mank and full of rust. i was bored at work so decided to cut it open to see what it looked like on the inside. sad i know but if ya interested here is what it is

black box with filter in the middle and a pipe that goes to the fuel pump

the gauze/filter

pop the lid off the box and theres 2 flaps/doors for the fuel to go in through.they open only one way so the fuel goes through one and shuts the opposite one.
the pipe on the right is from the breather.

with door

without door

this is what came out of the tank

movin onto the actual car, i put the seat rail slider back on before i cut the o/s floor pan out and lost the refernce to where it should go

and plugged it from the back

i then put a piece in the other side. it neede reapirin as i tried to weld the floor pan  in but had hidden rust so i had to cut more out.

tacked, buzzed and primerd ready for the seat rail to go in.

i then plugged the back piece on and welded the handbrake cable tube back to the floor and sprayed it.

next job floor pan………..

mk1 golf - resto

Back to the top
nice welding and panel making skills here....keep up the good work mate.

Back to the top
ola,

tonight i cut out the floor pan and trimmed up the new floor pan to go in, not cuttin out the seat slider mount on the inside on this side as the metals good.

biiiiiig hole…..again.

alot of the center beam looks like this though which isnt very weldable so im guna have to repair it befor the floor goes in. yawn, it never ends….

on a high note i did recieve this pair of lovely powder coated rear axle mount from fellow member mcscrew. they look like new. result.

mk1 golf - resto

Back to the top
They look like they've gone to a very good home! That's some really nice fabrication work you've done…

Good luck with the resto - I'll enjoy keeping an eye on it 8)

Rich

Back to the top
Quality work as always you seem to be steaming ahead of me as we were at a similar stage. Just wanted to say I used to use the machine mart cuttings discs but bought these a while ago and can't fault them at near half the price:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270375827787?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_2347wt_822

Sure if you buy more works out even cheaper aswell. Also got a pack of 10 flapper discs from somewhere on eBay for a rennet I think instead of £7 or something daft halfrauds charge for 1.

Back to the top
cheers for the comments guys,

safe for the heads up on them discs gazvenn, i dont know why i ddnt buy myself a box of 100 at the start of my resto haha. always seem to remember that i need more as im drivin past machine mart though….amount of money iv spent in that place.

over the weekend i carried out reapirs to the seat base center beam thing, i also made the new floor pan fit into the hole that was cut for it but got abit more prep todo before it gets welded in,

but today i aquired this bad boy, a mk3 golf gti 2l 8v gearbox speed sensor. the best thing about it was that it was free. woop.it fits in my box quite snuggley….

planin on using aftermarket clocks and wana have electronic speedo not cable so guna make this work somehow but this is the problem at the mo……too short, by almost a centimeter. darn. guna see what it looks like when i rip the box open, or could maby use the mk3 box as its rod change. meh ill look into it more at the time.

mk1 golf - resto

Back to the top
good eve,

been preppin the floor pan for fitting this week, drilling holes for plug welding and such. tis a real big panel and needed lots of trimin to make fit but it went in easier than i thort it would.  

but tonight i got it in and tacked in place which im pleased about, i got bout 75% of the plug welds to the inner sill done, need to grind down my tacks and weld it up.
got about 2 hours welding todo an about the same grindin haha. also need to seam weld the inner sill.

all ready to be buzzed up

i also think ive solved my speedo sensor problem too. will find out when the box comes apart…..

mk1 golf - resto

Back to the top
some serious work going into this well done mate

Back to the top
hi,

floor pan is in. pow.

got the majority done on sunday but run out of welding gas with only 10 plugs and a 3 inch seam weld todo. well annoying. got more gas today so buzzed the last bits up. got the fun job of grindin em down still though.

thats a whole lot of not rotten floor :)

mk1 golf - resto

Back to the top
good eve,

all drivers side floor is completely welded up now.took long. i moved onto the inner sill section behind the rear axle mount……..rotten.

rotten was an understatement, more like….sand. was just crumbling at my finger tips. this section is guna test my patience, i jus dont know what bit to do first really as i need to weld bits onto good metal so need to replace those bits that need to be welded onto and such, it jus never ends.

anyhows this what i did the last couple of eves.

started by hacking out the rot an findin out what was good an what wernt. ended up with this

then i measured up an made this

buzzed that bad boy up

and sprayed

at least the axle mount piece will have one good bit to weld onto here. think i need to remove the remaining mount panel and fix the floor bit behind it before the axle panel goes in. long.!!

mk1 golf - resto

Back to the top
My god - you ain't scared of using a grinder are you!

Really admire your commitment!

Back to the top

AL_Mk1 said

My god - you ain't scared of using a grinder are you!

Really admire your commitment!

haha, me and my grinder are one! i do cut it out lil bit by lil bit otherwise u chop sumin your not suposed to lol, but when its that rotten there aint much of a reference point left so it all comes out!!!!

got a load of time off next week so will get some more done then and share my progress. 8 days straight onit. get in!

mk1 golf - resto
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.