Skip navigation

mk1 tin top 5door project updated 2/7/12 breaking for bits

Back to the top

mk1 tin top 5door project updated 2/7/12 breaking for bits

hellooo

Picked up my new mk1 golf 5 door project, Not too bad by first looks……

Firstly the info,  The cars is a golf gx with a 1.5 carb engine, (at least we think it is :dontknow: ), The car has been stood since 1998 in a garden in the rain, the only plus point to that is its been on concrete, it has a sunroof but not factory fitted, i got the wheels moving and we towed it to my mates in cantley (with a rope  8O ), The brakes failed after about 1/4 mile, so had to control it with the handbrake, but we got there (about 10 miles) without any issues.

The vehicle is now covered and parked on my mates drive till we can get to work on it, we made a start tonight and got the engine sort of working, that now needs more work as it caught fire, a little flame jumped to a fire ball when Stu thought it was a good idea to smother it with a cloth soaked in 12 year old petrol  :banghead: , fire out and not much damage just a few damaged pipes, easy fix.

thats it for now, got some pics to show yall, ill keep u posted on progress

chris :D  :D  :D

Chris

Banner

Back to the top
I see you have your work cut out with this one but its another mk1 saved,I'm sure your the right guys for the job,hope it all goes well and keep us up to date with your progress :D

Back to the top
Yeah another 5-door mk1. I hope the resto goes well, keep us updated.

Back to the top
thanks guys, hopefully its not too bad but time will tell, ill keep taking pics and updating as we go along

chris

Chris

Banner

Back to the top
Sweet dude, I will be monitoring this post for inspiration.

Back to the top
I will also monitor, you have a method very similar to ours in restoration, what changes are only the most sophisticated equipment that is ...

Schumacker Gol Gl 1.8 Turbo

Curitiba PR, Brazil !!!

Back to the top
looks like a nice little project, all the best with it and im sure all the guys on here will be able to help you with bit and bobs as and when you need them

Rich

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
thanks for all who repllied will keep the post going, had a look round her properly yesterday and its not that bad, looks like it needs sills as the ends are gone and rear arches, needs a spare wheel well as its gone at the back, may need a couple of doors, main front doors are solid, rears mostly solid, needs a tailgate too, thats all  for now, will post pics when i get back from work

regards

chris

Chris

Banner

Back to the top
Whoo another GX :D
looks bit tattered but sure you can get it there eventually :) wish I had the money to do mine :( lol
is your sunroof factory fitted glass one?
Someone said to me that they don't often see factory fitted sunroofs on gx's mines a metal one

Back to the top
Looks good mate. I'll upload pics of mine at some point today.

Back to the top

rowan92 said

Whoo another GX :D
looks bit tattered but sure you can get it there eventually :) wish I had the money to do mine :( lol
is your sunroof factory fitted glass one?
Someone said to me that they don't often see factory fitted sunroofs on gx's mines a metal one

unfortunatley not, bloody atermarket rubbish, works though

chris

Chris

Banner

Back to the top
As long as it works and doesn't leak it's all good then :) haha

Back to the top
looking forward to the progress with this.

is this one you were were talking about in my thread?

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

Nicko16v said

looking forward to the progress with this.

is this one you were were talking about in my thread?

yes it is, picked it up on thursday last week, needs fair amount of work but not as bad i thought it would be, the sunroof does leak but prob just needs re sealing

chris

Chris

Banner

Back to the top
ok, started to remove some of the parts like the lights and grill, got the headlamps and grill out in one piece, no damage to that, just needs a bloody good clean, took out the rear lamps they all ok but 2 of the fixing screws are broken.  removed the number plate lights, its rotton around that part, got a plan for that though.

Some other good news for the car…..
The engine runs fine, on all 4 cylinders (yep its true im not drunk either  :lol: ) got it started and it ran without problems, then wouldnt start, cleaned out the carb ( :banghead: ) and it starts first time now, next job is to remove the engine and box for dam good clean as its growing a fur coat.  

I cant believe this car has been stood outdoors for 12 years in the rain and snow and its really solid

thats it for now, please see my photobucket link for pics, all posted there

regards

chris  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Chris

Banner

Back to the top
a few pics to keep us going, first off the rear arch

next we have the tailgate

how about a seat?

solid inside

surprisingly solid doors, just surface rust here

worst bit of rot on rear passenger door

thats all for now, more to come as we go along, thanks for looking

regards

chris  :D  :D

Chris

Banner

Back to the top
Looking good Chris! Keep the updates coming fella!

Rich

Back to the top
looks like she will come good

Back to the top
nice looking project, i have the exact same car in the exact same state!

Back to the top
abit more work done, engine and bow removed, driveshafts gone, had to cut out the offside engine mount as it wouldnt undo, fortunately the mount bracket isnt damaged so just need a new engine mount, that was one bloody heavy engine.

going

gone

engine and box with fur coat

Ill keep you all updated as we go along

regards

chris (feeling rather stiff this mornin)  :lol:  :lol:  :D

Chris

Banner
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.