Possible project???

looks good

the pictures of the rot doesn't look to bad

:)

Banner

Back to the top
looks to be pretty solid,get the grinder out and have a look  :lol:

Back to the top
There is a lovely hole both sides by the rear arch and the sills have had it tbh. Few bits of rusy on front and rear valance but nothing too bad that I have found yet. Where else should I look?
Thanks for the comments, really makes me want to get on with it!

Back to the top
It looks like you've found a real gem there. Theres been way worse cars saved on this site before. There is a fair bit to do but nothing that cant be done with a little enthusiasm and time. The finished product will be awesome  :D  :D
Im very jealous  :lol:

1983 Golf 1.3 driver

Back to the top
check the rear beam mounts and the area where the inner arch meets the floor pan inside the car as mine were a bit rusty  :roll:

Back to the top
Managed to scrape together a very quick look yesterday and got part of the wheel arch trims off with some good news!!!! Only surface rust would you believe it, after all the time its been sat out and had water sitting in them and minimal rust, fantastic! Hopefully get a bit more done next week.
Thanks for your comments

Back to the top
good news mate!

we need pictures fella, obviosuly keeping an eye on your car ;-)

Back to the top
Good things come to those who wait! I shall hopefully have some spare time next weekend to have a look but not entirely sure depends on work and everything else! But they will definitely come soon, I am keeping an eye on yours too so keep those updates coming.

Back to the top
yes mate things are happening but im not updatig until I cnan find my camera and actually have a decent amount to say!

Anyways if you decide you dont want it, ill take a load of parts of it, clocks, heater contros, steering wheel and speedo cable! ;-)

I really hope you do save it tho mate. ill race ya!

Back to the top
Yeah we need pictures!! I did hesitate about posting about the arches but then got a bit excited over them. It is now kind of about finding somwhere more suitable, its alright at the farm but would be better if it was slightly closer to home or garaged as opposed to covered with tarp.

I think the race to completion is in the bag for you lets be honest!

Back to the top
I dont know mate, your project is round the corner at a farm, mine is 280 miles away from where I live!

Back to the top
But yours is pretty rust free in comparison and you have more know how than me! Maybe I shouldn't moan about the distance again then, 10 miles is alot closer… Still think you'll beat me to completion.

Back to the top
Right had another look today, tried a socket on the crankshaft pulley and she turned without much effort tbh so isn't seized. Tried to get the wheel arch trims off more but somebody has decided to screw them in different places so not too easy.

Back to the top
cool, is there oil in it? you should drain the oil and put some new stuff in then get the ignition wired it so it cranks over by key

Back to the top
There is indeed oil in it. Thats the hardest part all the wiring has been cut and bodge and still no battery so will need to get it wired which if I am being honest isn't a strong point of mine in fact, I know nothing! Hoping Dad will know something about it being a lift engineer and with the help of the Haynes resto manual!

Back to the top
ignition cranking is three wires, we can help you mate its easy.  Your going to need a proper mk1 haynes manual and a multimeter tho.

Back to the top
Multimeter I have :) Proper haynes manual is a no and the three wires may also cause a problem! Anyway I have a good week or so before I will get anytime on her again though :( But got till then to learn how/what to do!

Bet it feels like you're doing two projects with me as well hey Lee!

Back to the top
Had another couple of hours with it today again, took the front bumper of, the remaining wheel arch covers (all no rust) and removed the front wings also! I'll let the pictures do the talking!

Back to the top
Okay guys, which wires do I need to wire up the ignition from the barrel?

Also what is the best way to remove the dials it seems to be attached in the middle and obviously want to try to avoid breaking as much as I can!

Rich

Back to the top
I already lost this build…. wil be watching it closely!

Good luck.

1980 Series 1 GTI (gone now .. what a mistake selling her!)
1979 Series 1 LD - the Mandarin Dragon … gone as well. oh dear.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.