Skip navigation

Golf mk1 2,0 Gti Berg cup project

Back to the top

Golf mk1 2,0 Gti Berg cup project

Thought I should show a pic of the new engine coming together. I will convert to megasquirt this winter.

It's a 2l 2E with mk1 gti head, ported and polished, schrick 288, 11,7 camshaft (awaiting delivery).

All the numbers and letter on the head are removed for a cleaner look.

Rides:
Golf mk1 Gti -83

Back to the top
Are you going to use the AGG cam belt covers and rocker cover on the DX head? Does this mean that you are going to extend the breather pipes that attach to the rocker cover?

Great work by the way!

Back to the top
This isn't the AGG bottom end, it's 2E this time.. Not that there are much difference, but this one has oil cooled pistons from factory. Anyway, I'm not going to use belt cover at all, the DX cover is too short (16mm missing) and I didn't get one along the 2E engine that I bought. The car is only going to be used summertime, and there's not a big issue going without the belt cover.

The rocker cover is from a 2E engine, but the head is DX yes, They are all the same. Because I'm not going to use the k-jetronic I don't have to worry about the throttle cable holder.. otherwise I'd make one or buy from blackforest industries.

Also, I'm going to rerout the breather pipe.. this is because I will use a modified intake manifold (maybe completely custom), on the bottom end there are blocking plates. After the MOT I will reroute it again to a small container with filter so I don't get it back into the engine.

Thanks! :) /// Peter

bouchay said

Are you going to use the AGG cam belt covers and rocker cover on the DX head? Does this mean that you are going to extend the breather pipes that attach to the rocker cover?

Great work by the way!

Rides:
Golf mk1 Gti -83

Back to the top
This is very very cool 8)  8)  8)

Back to the top

Phataz1 said

This is very very cool 8)  8)  8)

Thanx! :) thinking about your nickname, you might like this one :P

Rides:
Golf mk1 Gti -83

Back to the top

Rides:
Golf mk1 Gti -83

Back to the top
Amazing looking car! Well done for all the hard work that you've put into it.
Really like the motorsport/berg cup look/theme.

Back to the top
Thank you!

The funny thing is that my first project with the golf was just to get it lower, nice rims and maybe som easy tuning.. and look where it ended, hahaha.. but the car has come to a new phase. I recently ordered a megasquirt along with a complete wiring harnesh. Then theres going to be som modifications of the intake manifold to fit a single throttle body (might build a custom if my economy will allow it).

When the engine is finished, rear beam refurbed and maybe disc brake converted I'm going to focus on the paint. I have a 40% off on stickers so getting new ones will be the smallest problem :) But paint is expencive and takes time if you don't have the right connections. Bear in mind that I've painted the fenders with cans :O But the whole car WILL get a respray.

thebeast said

Amazing looking car! Well done for all the hard work that you've put into it.
Really like the motorsport/berg cup look/theme.

Rides:
Golf mk1 Gti -83

Back to the top
Keep us posted then fella.
Do you do any track days/racing of any kind?

Back to the top
Will do will do, even if I'm not really active here. But if there is a interest I might post more often :)

Well, I would have been on at least 3-4 trackdays this season.. if my first engine wouldn't decided it didn't want to live any longer.. I was at bugrun here in Sweden. It was super sweet to run around the track. But some tuning issues and misstakes resulted in this:

So half this season has gone to building a new engine. This time I'll use megasquirt instead of k-jetronic and the stock ignition. I'll let the ms run ignition to. This means that I have to lock the mechanic advance in the distributor and remove the vacuum.

thebeast said

Keep us posted then fella.
Do you do any track days/racing of any kind?

Rides:
Golf mk1 Gti -83

Back to the top
ouch, running lean? did it damage the head?

Back to the top
There might have been some trouble with one or two of the injectors. I was running a wideband lambda, but that doesn't show if one cylinder is running lean. afr was steady between 12,4-13,5 while on track. Did tuning before.

The main factor is probably ignition. I didn't know that the distributor had to be modified when reving higher and using tuning camshaft (276 duration). So the ignition has probably been to early, causing high pressure and extreme temperatures on the pistons. two more was badly damaged, but this one was worst.

The head is unharmed (thank VW-GOD) except for 2 valves that I had to replace.

steveee said

ouch, running lean? did it damage the head?

Rides:
Golf mk1 Gti -83

Back to the top
just found this cracking project…. love the volvo parts, i'm on the look out now..

good luck for the winter, i'll be keeping an eye on this thread..

Back to the top
Thanks mate! I will make some updates during the winter. I'm about to put in the new engine, but with megasquirt 1 v3. group N injectors, custom intake manifold etc.

The volvo parts are accually for sale, as a complete kit, excluding K&N filter and the fuel pressure accumulator.

It includes:
fuel metering head
air meter with the bowl and 2,75" inlet for open air filter
turbo injectors with lines etc
k-jetronic fuel pump
fuel pressure regulator from volvo turbo, adjustable
There is also modified intake manifold and the audi throttle body 52/34mm.

litlekris said

just found this cracking project…. love the volvo parts, i'm on the look out now..

good luck for the winter, i'll be keeping an eye on this thread..

Rides:
Golf mk1 Gti -83

Back to the top
Hej Pete!!!  This car is AMAZING!!!  I want one!ha.  I've been to Gothenburg a few times, and you're lucky with no speed bumps.  That front end in England would be off after a little trip to the shops!  Keep up the good work mate

Back to the top
Thanks mate!

Pesch motorsport in czeck republic sell this kit, incredible cheap, so just do it :D

Really, cool but there are A LOT of speedbumps, especially in the outer areas, so the front has been scraped pretty bad, haha.. I'm about to modify the front spoiler + 15-16" rims which will help a little (hopefully), but I don't want to make it a truck either 8-)

I will try to keep you updated! /// Peter

geejah said

Hej Pete!!!  This car is AMAZING!!!  I want one!ha.  I've been to Gothenburg a few times, and you're lucky with no speed bumps.  That front end in England would be off after a little trip to the shops!  Keep up the good work mate

Rides:
Golf mk1 Gti -83

Back to the top
It just wouldn't look right on a cabby!!haha  But definitely keep the updates coming mate, and best of luck with it all :)

Back to the top
I got some new photos of the progress, there's not much.. I'm going to the garage tomorrow.

Also just bought a adjustable fuel pressure regulator on ebay, OEM fitment on the G60 fuel rail.

Some pics then.

Fuse- and relay holder, not the most beautiful.. hehe

The wire harness from protoparts.fi

Had to make a big hole in the wall, using marine rubber seal

Starting to look messy, hehe

Removed the spare tire well, going to weld from beneath

The engine is pretty much finished

I really like the cam gear

Bosch 044 and sytech high flow fuel filter

Almost everything reinstalled, 3 extra meters, AFR, oil temp, oil pres. The ECU installed

ECU in the glove compartment

Looks a bit sad..

Cover for the relay- and fuse compartment

The engine is lifted

And soon to be completely fitted

Bonus photo of my dog :)

Rides:
Golf mk1 Gti -83

Back to the top
This thing looks great  8) . I keep watching berg cup mk1's on youtube

92 caddy, Now stripped for full rebuild
83 golf gti R1 carbed 16v(soon to have 1.8T)
07 Leon FR TDI daily

Cambridgeshire regional host

Back to the top
Thanks mate! Yeah, me too, they're awesome :)

Haven't posted here for a while.. Not much have happened either.. done some welding in the trunk, but the mison tube is empty. Think I'm going to fill it up with Co2 instead, cheaper and it doesn't require a registred gas tube.

Otherwise I'm considering making a custom made inlet manifold. Because I'm going to use megasquirt 1 v3. it's not optimal to use dual throttle body. Either fully custom or modifying the original.

caddyrage said

This thing looks great  8) . I keep watching berg cup mk1's on youtube

Rides:
Golf mk1 Gti -83
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.