Skip navigation

Golf mk1 2,0 Gti Berg cup project

Back to the top

Golf mk1 2,0 Gti Berg cup project

does the intake manifold from a audi 80 fit the golf engine head? thought about collecting the audi throttle body and using a dremel to make it fit the intake manifold.. but would be easier if i had a separate manifold cause I'm using the car daily..

but the throttle body to use is the one from audi 5 cyl engine right? then i couldn't use the intake manifold, hehe..

what else is useable from the audi enging? wur?

Rides:
Golf mk1 Gti -83

Back to the top
Picked up the black diamond clutch kit today, looks nice but small :P

The head ready for 20nm torque, going to change the cam sprocket to the adjustable in the picture

Setrab-oil cooler, cleaned with thinner, going to mask of and put som paint on the frame.

Otherwise, haven't done much, just ordered some spare parts, sensors, topmounts, filters and som other stuff.

Rides:
Golf mk1 Gti -83

Back to the top
Not much done here.. lack of funds.. still need to get the crankshaft balanced, also need a new exhaust manifold for the tall block.. new costs 450$ at techtronics tuning.. anyone know another shop for a cheaper exhaust manifold??

anyways.. had a boring day.. not even sure i'm going to use it.. it's the lower part from a k-jet in volvo, it replaces the air filter box and allows to use an open sportfilter, the conical type..

not finishet, but looks a lot better than before..

Rides:
Golf mk1 Gti -83

Back to the top
A pic of the painted oil cooler, it's a setrab 13 rows. It was a bit shabby but I cleaned it up and removed as much of the old paint as possible. The new paint is heat resistant.. but we'll se about that.. :P

Rides:
Golf mk1 Gti -83

Back to the top
Because of the lack of interest/comments in this thread I stopped updating long time ago.. But much has been done and I thought I at least could show the results.

Rides:
Golf mk1 Gti -83

Back to the top

MrPete said

Because of the lack of interest/comments in this thread I stopped updating long time ago.. But much has been done and I thought I at least could show the results.

yip
nearly 3000 views & only a few replies  :dontknow:
baz

Back to the top
2,0l AGG, ported and skimmed head, 276 degree cam, lightened, balanced, new bolts, bearings and so on.

Ported intake manifold for the bigger audi throttle body

All bushings are new urethane

Meterhead from volvo 240turbo, adjustable fuel pressure, better airflow and capacity.

new topran hoses

Engine bay empty, painted with primer

bodykit in the wheel arches

Home made shift linkage, metal ball joints

Bad quality photo.. but the engine bay is now black

Picked up som glassfibre parts

Trying arches and berg cup kit

Engine in the house!

Polished the intake manifold, just roughtly..

Installed an oil baffle

New wishbones with urethane bushings

The front so far

Mocal oil sandwich with thermostat

New ray simons exhaust, 2"

Installed under the car, with wideband lambda

Needs to be shortened.. :P

Working on the front arches

Installing the battery in the back, just trying the fit

New 35mm2 battery cable

Fat ass :)

More coming, the car will be finished this summer

Rides:
Golf mk1 Gti -83

Back to the top

Back to the top

geejah said

Hej :) That's gonna end up a beast!!!  Good work going on there!

Thanks! I sure hope so :) Looking for rims at the moment.. 14-15x9" but theese are hard to find… found a guy that rebuilds rims so it's hopefully solved soon. Going to start the engine in a few days now, vid coming up then :)

Rides:
Golf mk1 Gti -83

Back to the top
Great work man. The arches and fibreglass gear look sweet. Nice build and Mad skills on the mechanicals.

Back to the top
Great work man. The arches and fibreglass gear look sweet. Nice build and Mad skills on the mechanicals.

Back to the top

Gillie said

Thank you! The glass fibre parts were pretty easy to fit, of course I could work more on them, especially on the rear fit against the torpedo wall. It's nice to hear, done almost everything on my own. My first complete engine build. Hope it runs, hehe

Rides:
Golf mk1 Gti -83

Back to the top
I hope it runs for you too mate.  The engine rebuild is something i'd love to do one day .  I'll work up to by getting through all the other little jobs on my golf first though, as I'll need all the practice i can get. :lol:
Good luck

Back to the top

Gillie said

I hope it runs for you too mate.  The engine rebuild is something i'd love to do one day .  I'll work up to by getting through all the other little jobs on my golf first though, as I'll need all the practice i can get. :lol:
Good luck

Yeah, me too :) It's shouldn't be any problems, but you never know for sure. The engine build was pretty easy but expensive. Allthough I was lucky to find a complete bottom end, cleaned and with new bearings and gaskets. Just got everything balanced and lightened incl. the flywheel. Skimmed the head 1mm for 10,5:1 compression ratio. Head ported by ultra motor, 276degree cam, adjustable sprocket. oil baffle in the head and the sump. I also took off 1mm from the intermediate shaft, it's badly balanced as it come. The only thing I regret that I didn't do was to get the supertech valve spring kit, with titanium retainers.

There's also k-jetronic from volvo 240 turbo, wich gives adjustable fuel pressure and better air flow. good for 220hp at least.. well, won't come that far with this setup, but it's better than the golf k-jetronic. Also fitted the b23ft fuelpump (bosch 909) brand new.

There's a lot things done, but there's allways more to do :P

Rides:
Golf mk1 Gti -83

Back to the top
Spending time and money getting it right will pay dividends as you'll know the job is done correctly first time.  Good tip with the Volvo K-jet system also, I hadn't seen that before.  Looks sweeeet!
Keep up the good work!

Back to the top

Gillie said

Spending time and money getting it right will pay dividends as you'll know the job is done correctly first time.  Good tip with the Volvo K-jet system also, I hadn't seen that before.  Looks sweeeet!
Keep up the good work!

Absolutely. Yeah, got the tip from a guy that have been doing this for many years. It's oldschool but it works. Especially when you use the 2litre engine block, it needs more fuel. You could also just take the pressure regulator from 240 turbo or saab 900/0 turbo and bore the backside to get to the skrew for fuel adjustment. The membrane that gives more fuel when turbo i spinning is just blocket off.

Here's a new pic, last one before I put "shoes" on :) 14x9" widened steel rims with Toyo Proxes T1-R 225/40R14 :D

Yesterday I also shortened the exhaust tip, just before the chrome part, angeled a little to the left and up, looks sweet I say :)

And put mine and ze wife's names on the rear window

Also working on some downforce.. the "horns" are cut off, to complicated.. will do some experiments with the wing to try to get a smoother surface.. it's not easy..

Rides:
Golf mk1 Gti -83

Back to the top
Here we go! The car has been at the mot test :)

They couldn't test the brakes because the car is TOO LOW, hahaha.. otherwise there was nothing to complain about. So I can now drive legally one month, then I have to go back and test the brakes. There's coilovers so there's not a big issue.

Here's the almost finished result :D

Rides:
Golf mk1 Gti -83

Back to the top
Some new stickers, getting race ready :)

Funny sticker :)

Rides:
Golf mk1 Gti -83

Back to the top
Very well done. Is the passat engine a tall block and if so which manifold did you use. Liked the use of the volvo 240 turbo fuel regulator, never seen one of them used before

Back to the top

Cero said

Very well done. Is the passat engine a tall block and if so which manifold did you use. Liked the use of the volvo 240 turbo fuel regulator, never seen one of them used before

Thanks! Yes, it's the passat AGG block (-95) together with a mkII gti head, ported and skimmed 1mm. I used a Ray simons exhaust header (swedish made) It's built for 1,8 engine, but there is clearance. Otherwise there are special made headers made for tall block at techtronics, but they're expensive.

I think you can use any exhaust header from ebay, sometimes people get interference with steering column or gear linkage, but there was no problem in my case.

The Volvo turbo fuel regulator is a good investment, especially with the metering head and all. Good for more power than the golf stuff. Another good thing is that you cant see any difference if you don't know what to look for. (thinking of MOT-test) :)

Rides:
Golf mk1 Gti -83
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.