Skip navigation

Golf 1.6 Diesel - now 1.9 TDI

Back to the top

GAMMYGOLFGTI said

foxymk1 said

nice 1 gammy, wat ya doin with the wiring?

I have the complete Mk3 Golf which the engine came out of, so was planning to take the key reader, immobiliser, ecu and fly by wire accelerator wiring from the donor car and rationalising the loom to just those that are required.

Would you happen to know whether the air flow sensor operates in the same way as the BMW TD4 and automatically goes to default mode (max fuel) if it not connected?

no idea mate

Back to the top
linkages are still here as and when required warren :D

Back to the top
Been a while since last update, this week I've put a few hours in and overcome the smaller issues of making the hoses fit the heater matrix (nothing major, but needed to reduce the ID of the hose from the TDI to the heater control).  Also been cutting down the MK3's loom, to leave me with just the essentials, I just need to position the fly by wire for the accelerator pedal and then it's nearly done……..

Few photos………..

Have cut and welded the acceleraor pedal to allow the fly by wire to attach, need to make a bracket to finish……

Back to the top
Nice one sir

Look forward to seeing it at the AGM

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top

Back to the top

foxymk1 said

how did you do the wiring pal? did it have a transponder in the key? sorry for all the Qs mate

foxy

Hi Foxy :wink:

I took the complete loom out of the Mk3, from the ECU back to the fuseboard, including the offshoots that go to the engine and pump.  Quite a few wires in the loom are un necessary, like the washer jet pump, side indicators,headlights the main lead from the + on the battery to the fusebox etc, so I've untaped the loom and removed each wire that is already catered for with the original Mk1 wiring.  The new Mk3 slimlined loom consists of the wires from the ECU to the pump, crank speed sensor, MFA, boost sensor, temperature sensor etc and the main earth lead from the ECU, then going inside the car I have a very small loom for the throttle pedal sensor and the immobiliser.  From the immobiliser I have an ignition controlled feed and the original Mk3 key sat in the transponder, so should fire up once the new startermotor turns up (the old one from the 1.6d engine was lazy and because I used  an AAZ gearbox the Mk3 TDI starter wont work……will keep you informed how it pans out  :mrgreen:

Back to the top

Back to the top
The new starter motor arrived today, so once I got home from work it was a dash into the garage to fit it and see if the makelight wiring loom is correct and if I'd got it right about which wire from the ECU and immobiliser required +12v.

So fitted the starter motor and wound her over…………after an initial 4 second wind over to prime the pump she fired up, ticks over lovely and has a cute turbo whistle albeit a lack of exhaust helps make it sound good  :P , she revs up correctly off the fly by wire accelerator too  :P  :P …..so wish I had the video camera with me, cos it maked me smile  :wink:

So now it all works, I can start putting the dashboard back together and look at the mounting of the intercooler (looking at one to sit in the void in front of the rad)

Back to the top
Sounds cracking you must be well chuffed!  :mrgreen:

Back to the top
Well after using the TDi for the AGM at Uttoxeter this weekend and having no issues at all with the set up, I can safely say it runs  :mrgreen: .  I still have to source a quieter/better suited air filter box and put an intercooler in, but even without these it ran perfectly throughout.
Anyone thinking of doing the conversion and wondering about the wiring, here's some pointers………..
Buy a MK3 Golf TDi, mark up the wires that go to the engine that need to be kept, ie injection pump, boost pipes, engine speed sensor (behind the oil filter), MAF sensor etc  and remove the engine and box (the 1z box has cable changer and hydraulic clutch, so changed that for an earlier 5 speed diesel box with usual mk1 arrangement). Once the engine is out, in te scuttle area is the ECU and a huge loom, unplug it and start to unclip the loom from the engine bay all the way back to the fusebox (the loom goes off in numerous directions as the one loom also contains the wiring for thye headlights, indicators, horn, washers, main feed from the battery to the fusebox absolutely everything is in the loom so just mark them up as a reminder.
Inside the car, unplug the wires to the fusebox and also the wires that go to the accerator pedal (fly by wire) and the immobiliser, then pull the wires through the bulkhead and there you have the complete MK3 loom.

Now lay the loom out on the floor and strip back the insulating wire, you can now remove from the loomall the wires that you dont need, ie headlights, horn, main lead from the battery to the fusebox etc (you already have these in the Mk1 Golf)
I basically only kept the wires that went from the engine to the ECU and the wires that went from the ECU to the inside of the car (accelerator fly by wire, one little wire that went from the ECU to the immobiliser, one heavy lead that went to the battery earth from the ECU and one ignition fed 12v + wire.
THere is one more piece of equipment you need to take out of the MK3 and that is the Key and the transponder that sits around the ignition switch (this reads the chip in the key and deactivates the immobiliser), once you have them all you need to do is tape the key to the transponder or situate the transponder somewhere you can remove the key and effectively you now have a mk1 Golf with an immobiliser fitted  :P . The immobiliser has one wire that plugs into the ECU, one that goes to earth and one that goes to an ignition fed 12v +

Hope this helps anyone wondering about the wiring  :wink:

Will get some photos up soon

Back to the top
Also forgot to say, as I started with a 1.6d mk1 Golf, I had the feed for the glow plugs mounted on the bulkhead, so when routeing the wires from the engine I just ran the wire from the TDI engine to the original Mk1 glowplug feed on the bulkhead, if you dont astart with a diesel mk1 you will have to wire up the relay to feed it, luckily the Mk3 loom has a heavy duty fused wire that goes to the fusebox and probably be wise to incorporate that into your loom  :wink:

Back to the top
i'll give you £350 for it  :mrgreen:

Back to the top

Back to the top
I sat it in and was good

Foxy were you at the AGM

I missed meeting you BLans

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top
Well, been running her for the last week and no problems to report, so I'm happy  :P

A few niggles that I had when I took her out for her first trip at the AGM, like an air box from a Rover, which with the amount I had to cut from the underside of the airbox, it would have been quieter to put a K&N cone filter on  8O .  So last week I had a leisurely trip around the local scrapyards and came across an airfilter box from  a Kia which fits better and quietened down the induction noise………..

Then there is the little issue of not having an intercooler fitted, so running with a temporary bypass  :twisted: ………….

Well, not for much longer, today a nice intercooler arrived in the post, secondhand mind, from a TD5 Landrover, should fit around the radiator in the gap behind the grill…….

Back to the top
Very nice Warren! This is turning out very well indeed :D

Back to the top
is that a rod knockin?  :wink:
Bert

Thats not a rod knockin,its a diesel stupid! floppy top and 1 tin top

Back to the top

allana13 said

I sat it in and was good

Foxy were you at the AGM

I missed meeting you BLans

There will be a next time mate  :D

you have pm warren  :mrgreen:

Back to the top

Holy thread revival , how you doing? One of my fellow dubbers pointed me in your direction, nice project my first car was same colour as that an 83 1.1 former e. I'm doing a similar conversion was your engine an Ahu by any chance? Have you any pics of wiring that you used ? I have a thread started (Ahu conversion) could you have a look at it and see if you can give me a bit of advise as to what I need and don't need? Many thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.