Skip navigation

Golf 1.6 Diesel - now 1.9 TDI

Back to the top

Golf 1.6 Diesel - now 1.9 TDI

allana13 said

Any updates Gammy ? :|

Plenty happened since the last report  :mrgreen:

Well I had a few issues with water pipes splitting, perished with age, so sorted them out  :? .

For christmas I had a set of BBS Alloys, look loads better than the old steelies  8)

She had the slowest wipers in history (even for mk1 standards) and a heater motor that melted the plastic fuse after 5 minutes use  :?

Last weekend, I had the pleasure of popping over to Onzlo's in Atherstone to pick up some seats (£65 on Ebay) and while I was there I had a good rummage round his S1 Golf and got a heap load of extra bits, like complete wiper motor and linkages, complete heater box and even the carpet.

So fitted the wiper and heater during the week, then today stripped out the seats and carpet and fitted the replacements and also got round to changing the crappy front spoiler.

Below are some photos, though the photos show the new seats as being light blue/grey but I assure you they are a darker blue…………

The old interior………

The BBS Alloys………..

The old spoiler and the new one fitted…………

The new interior……………

Back to the top
looks good mate

have you got any shots of the engine bay for refrence on mine
:)

Banner

Back to the top

jellybelly said

looks good mate

have you got any shots of the engine bay for refrence on mine
:)

I'll go outside and take a shot for you, back in 5 minutes  :roll:  :roll:  :mrgreen:

Back to the top
As promised, is this any use to you Jelly??

Back to the top
your the best :D

Banner

Back to the top
Nice one Gammy

Looks Clean. Some hard work in there

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top
Well the diesel has been doing well recently, been to a few shows with her towing trailer and a trip to Burnley, all without any hiccups  8)

However, been itching to make her more like a modern drive and have decided to TDI her with engine from a 1994 Mk3 Golf and an AAZ gearbox from a Mk3 TD.  

Started taking out the engine yesterday, then after going to watch AFC Telford Utd (My team of 30 years) beat Nuneaton 3-2 on agg. to book a place in the Play off finals  :cheer: , proceeded to continue with removing the old 1.6 diesel lump and 4 speed box from the mk1  :P

A few photos of the old engine……………………….

Needed a little bit of space to get the driveshafts and exhaust off, so up in the air……

Everything undone, time to get the engine crane in place…..

The TDI Engine and AAZ 5 speed box………

Back to the top
nice work warren

doe that mean i can have your old engine :)

Banner

Back to the top

jellybelly said

nice work warren

doe that mean i can have your old engine :)

I'm after your 5 speed linkages and your gearbox mounting (under the battery tray)  :mrgreen:

Back to the top
i need that for my 5spd :( sure we can come to some cash agreement ;)

Banner

Back to the top
lookin good :D

i've got 5 speed linkages you can have warren, i'll bring them to the meet in 10 days unless you need them before :D

Back to the top
Which is the next meet you are meeting up to.

Need to meet you too jelly

Cheers

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top

mAtt- said

i've got 5 speed linkages you can have warren, i'll bring them to the meet in 10 days unless you need them before :D

Couldn't make last meet, was fixing the wifes car  :roll: , but am still interested in the linkages Matt, Yomp gave me his gearbox mounting  :P

Had a bit of progress yesterday and this evening, started with removing the O/S engine mounting from the old 1.6d engine and cutting it down to suit the TDI (the mounting on the 1.6d also holds the diesel pump, whereas the TDi pump has its own mounting bracket), then also cut down the back plate which sits behind the pump and cam sprockets and holds the timing belt cover, as it then clashed with the 1.6 engine mounting.

Having altered the brackets and bolted them onto the engine, it was time tonight to get the TDi engine off the garage floor and into the Mk1, thus getting me a little further along and freeing up much needed floor space  :P  :P

Engine going in, notice the quality lifting slings  :mrgreen:

TDI engine sitting in engine bay  8)

Back to the top
nice work warren looking good

Banner

Back to the top
What are you doing with the ol engine Gammy ?

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top

Back to the top

allana13 said

selling to me hopefully :)

Banner

Back to the top

foxymk1 said

nice 1 gammy, wat ya doin with the wiring?

I have the complete Mk3 Golf which the engine came out of, so was planning to take the key reader, immobiliser, ecu and fly by wire accelerator wiring from the donor car and rationalising the loom to just those that are required.

Would you happen to know whether the air flow sensor operates in the same way as the BMW TD4 and automatically goes to default mode (max fuel) if it not connected?

Back to the top
Any reason you went tdi rather than td mate?

Back to the top

jellybelly said

allana13 said

selling to me hopefully :)

Happy Days :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.