Skip navigation

New mk1 golf project

Back to the top

New mk1 golf project

Thanks yes its starting to come together. Ive been working on it rather a lot recently. The zinc plating kit s one of ebay, Gateros plating I think it was around £60. It makes a massive difference how you prep the metal I personally, sand blast it, and then wire brush on a drill to achieve a partially polished finish. Its pretty experimental.

Back to the top
A shot of the mk1 covered under a blanket of snow

Back to the top
Old engine not a bad runner really if anyones interested in it pm me.

Back to the top
Mk1 bonnet removed awaiting transplant

Back to the top
During

And after

Back to the top
How the car stood last night

With new engine starting to take shape

Back to the top
The TSR engine is in and running nicely.

It has had so many new parts these include:
Radiator
Clutch and cable
Ht leads
Vauxhall 256mm brakes and pads, mk2 16v disc and lupo  lines
New 22mm Master cylinder
Fully serviced i.e. oils filters etc
new bosch injectors (same as mercedes brass injectors)
New downpipe

And many more parts…

Back to the top
During:

After - Cambelt cover

Back to the top
Next stop Stealth racing the start of march for a final tune up. The photos arent the best so will take some on a better camera this wkend.

Back to the top
This weekend Ive mainly been getting it ready for its tune up at stealth on monday.

work involved sorting little things, such as wiring, heat wrapping the steering boot (screwfix soldering mat works great) and fixing a few water leaks.

I also fitted the koni struts which have been repainted and fitted with new top mounts zinc plated bolts and new bump stops.

Here they are mounted.

A shot of the bay.

I took it out for a spin earlier and the engine really has significantly more power than the previous setup the brakes are also a lot better.

To top it off i have brought another set of wheels which I have been busy polishing and will fit tomorrow.

Back to the top
Excellent work mate, lovely car too!! :wub:

Andy.

Back to the top
Cheers Andy love the attention to detail on your rebuild

Back to the top
So today I got the car out of the garage for a good clean wax and to sort a few niggles. The major achievement was fixing the temp gauge which turned out to be the pin in the dash plug.

Here she is after a clean

I also tried on the wheels that I purchased yesterday a set of BBS RM's

I am still not sure whether I prefer the ronals.

I have also ordered some AP coilovers, to lower the car slightly, and will see how the RM's look if I'm not massively keen I will sell them on.

Finally a shot of the bay, its looking the best its been in a very long time, hopefully it stays like this.

I have just taxed the car and taking it tomorrow morning to stealth to see how it runs. Cant wait to have it back on the road, roll on summer

Back to the top
the engine bay looks great  :thumbs:  think the black wheel centres go really well with the red paint and black stripes.

matt

Back to the top
Bit of an update,

Car was tuned at stealth, but the clutch was slipping on the rolling road, its a new clutch so going to allow it a few 100 miles to bed in, if its still slipping I will strip it down and look for contaminants etc and maybe upgrade to a race clutch.

It was highlighted that the steering rack becomes stiff and notchy especially when the cars warm, so have ordered a new rack and am going to heat wrap the headers more.

Then I will be doing finishing touches, like replacing most of the dash lights, stripping the heater box to sort out the inner flaps, more soundproofing and fitting the new coilovers and wheels. This will be started at beginning of April, but for now i'm just going to enjoy driving the car around its crazy how much attention these mk1's get.

Back to the top
ell done very nice work worth the effort , lots of fun to come ! is that a Devon reg ?

Colin

86 GTI cabriolet
60 MGA 1622 Roadster
56 A35

Back to the top
Cheers bud, its starting to come together now :) and yeah the car was brought from devon way.

Back to the top
Bit of an update last week, I fitted new AP coilovers.

Im really impressed with the way they ride, firm but not bouncy and not too harsh like cheap coilovers I've tried previously.

The car now sits lovely also ive had the gearbox out and found the cause of the clutch slippage to be the lightened flywheel, so I put the one from my old DX engine in.

And also fitted the BBS RMs with new centre badges.

Finally I've fitted a new steering rack and had the car aligned.

So now Im really happy with the car its mechanically (fingers crossed) just how I want it with the original feeling of a mk1 just with a little extra bite.

heres some pics.

And next to my caddy pick up

So plans now are to just enjoy it for the summer hopefully the weather stays this way :)

Back to the top
Great photos, car looks fantastic  :thumbs:

Matt
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.