Skip navigation

Massbad69's Sportline - Back again

Back to the top
Just got my red HT leads, black caliper paint for my rear drums and red caliper paint for my front calipers.

Just need to wait until warmer weather to paint them as not chillin my nuts at this time of year  :)

Also got price for new head unit and rear speakers, just need the cash, think my wife needs a new handbag  :lol:

Question - Is it worth getting poly bushes all round or is it a waste of money ??  :dontknow:

Chris

Back to the top
Just received my new scuttle tray and clips from gsf  :D

Ordered red samco coolant hoses and stainless clips and when they arrive will get the car to my friendly garage to fix my 2 driveshaft/gearbox leaks, fit new ht leads, samcos and new osram night breaker bulbs when they are at it.

I know I could fit all the things myself except the 2 leaks but have not quite got the courage yet, but I will get there, lucky get deals at the garage  :mrgreen:

Can someone answer the question about poly bushes please, are they worth it or not ? :dontknow:

Cheers Chris

Back to the top
poly bush,s arent magical, if the original rubber ones are still being used then just a new set of those will make an improvement. pollies just last longer and are impervious to oil etc but they cost more, if you plan on keeping the car then fit a quality set, cheap rock hard ones will just introduce viabration/noise into the car,

Back to the top
Thanks that's what I thought, I will keep the car for years but there is other things to spend my money on just now and prob get everything poly in the future.

I know I need a couple of bushes done for the mot so I will just get them done in rubber just now

Cheers C

Back to the top
Wee update

Finally got all my new gear for the cooling system, there was nothing wrong with it but….

New aluminium radiator, samco hoses and clips, brushed stainless radiator brackets, expansion tank, tank to rad silicone hose and clips, thermostat and o ring, new fan,vw coolant, fan sticker and cowling sticker.

I will try to refurb my fan cowling and see how it looks but if it is poor I will get it powder coated.

Through winter I have got the engine bay paint cleaned and polished to a decent standard and I will complete it when the rad is out.

I will put pics up when I have fitted it all on the royal wedding weekend and I have a new laptop as mine is bust and this iPad is terrible.

Then it's poly bushes and h&r arb's  ( shughys recommendation ) done when it's MOT time in June.

Cheers Chris

Back to the top

Cheers Hugh.

www.vwgolf1.com - vw golf parts and genuine accessories!

Banner

Back to the top
Cheers Hugh

I saw it and it never sold so he has put it up again.

Bit pricy, CQ one is £30, so I will give mine a go and if it looks rubbish I will take it to my local powder coaters to do it right.

How are your ARB'S, are they worth getting as I was going to do poly bushes at MOT time as a couple of mine need replaced anyway, so instead of just getting the arb poly bushes, thought about getting your kit with the bushes already on ?

Chris

Back to the top
Hi chris

Yea have the anti roll bars fitted now - make a big difference to the feel of the car. Handling is better and more responsive in cornering. No issues in fitting them. All came with it's own bushes… Fronts are of a bigger diameter than standard vw ones but not much in it.

Travelled to Belfast last weekend for dubshed vw show approx 350 mile trip - no issues!

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top
The sun was shining for a change so took some new pics

Hope they look good

Last edit: by Massbad69

Back to the top
wow - the colour of the cab looks amazing in these snaps

Back to the top
Hey - you have been busy with those autoglym products…! :wink:

Car is lookin very smart!

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top
Hugh

Still just the harly wax so far, spent 5 hrs yesterday doing BMW and wifes Audi.

The golf will get plenty of tlc in the next month especially under the bonnet.

This must be the UKs most looked after company car, polished incl exhaust and wheels !!

In the next few days it will be covered in yogurt and sweeties and that just from the wife

Back to the top

Massbad69 said

In the next few days it will be covered in yogurt and sweeties and that just from the wife

Now now… All your motors look class! That wax seems to be doing the trick alright…

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top
This weekend for the first time I am going to do work on my car myself :|Have bought new samco coolant hoses, clips, header tank, stainless radiator, thermostat, fan and all the bits and pieces to redo the cooling system.

I have removed the rad cowling and prepped and hammerited it and it looks not bad.

When the rad is out I will finish cleaning the engine bay just leaving the actual engine todo one day.

Took a couple of pics but as usual forgot the before photos so these will have todo until I take new ones of the completed job.

Back to the top
Car is looking great mate.

Paintwork is looking fantastic.

Where did you buy the bits for the cooling system?

P.S. Like the umbrella ;-)

Back to the top
Thanks

Got stainless rad from nissens but it was expensive, samcos and clips from venom motorsprt, header tank from eBay, coolant from vw dealer and thermostat and o ring, header tank to radiator small bore hose got a red silicone one and a braided black one both from eBay and will see which one looks best at the time.
I was going to get a powder coated rad cowling from crazy quiffs but they had none in stock so just hammerited mine just now which looks fine but if I am not happy later I will change it.
Lastly I got stainless rad supports on eBay as well.

Hopefully it will all look good when it is fitted and it will give me good access to clean the front of the bay when it is all out.

Will put pics up next week when I have finished it

Cheers chris

Back to the top
Chris

New parts look the biz… Rad cowling has come up great with the hammerite. Should look great when fitted.

What are you using to wash the engine bay?

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top
Shuggy

Elbow grease, gunk, some dodgy but very effective tar remover from ebay and lastly 90 degree angle paint brushes which get into all the awkward wee bits. Then all will be harly waxed with turtlw wax top coat sealer.

I will get brake cleaner and spray soon for degreasing the engine but getting a shoulder op next week which will disable be for 12 weeks  :(

Chris

Back to the top
Ah cool - need to spend a bit of time on my own engine bay. Was thinkin about your power washer idea but haven't started yet!

Best of luck with op - hope it won't hinder you from typing… Lol

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top
Hi

Just fitted my new cooling system and it all went very well for a first timer  :wink:

When all the bits were out I managed to get a lot of the engine bay cleaned and now just need the brake cleaner to do the block etc.

Changed the dizzy cap and rotor arm when I was at it as the rotor arm was starting to fall apart. Also put on my new red HT leads when I was at it.

Unfortunately just had a shoulder operation yesterday from a car crash last sept so I will be out of action for upto 12 weeks.  :(

I took some pics of the bay so when I get a new laptop I will post them up as I hate this IPad that I am using :|

Cheers Chris ( the left handed Typer )
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.