Skip navigation

scuttle panel removal legality ?????

Back to the top

scuttle panel removal legality ?????

Hi thinking of removing the panel in the engine bay that is just infront of the blower motor and behind the engine but wondered how you stand legally after removal as the chassis number is on that panel at the top can anyone let me know before I remove mine I know lots of people have removed theres so it must be okay but just wanted to see what info I get back first cheers Craig

Back to the top
not sure of any legal issues , but bear in mind by removing it you will be removing something that acts as a firewall, stops engine fumes entering the cab, and also adds  strength  to the body

Mk1 2l TSR G60.  .getting. There twice as fast

Mk1 lhd diesel…….getting. There for half the cost

Back to the top
The law is very vague on modifications. The MoT assumes the car is standard specification and doesn't check for legality on mods, just wear/tear on safety and other items. There's little/no regulation of parts you can buy, and no regulation of who can work on a car. The only thing stopping many mods is that its illegal to modify a car to be less safe, but as you can imagine that's incredibly vague and open to massive interpretation!!!

Back to the top
I have just chucked out £145 including postage on a carbon cover for the fan which has holes in the back not front or sides thus keeping the rain out when the panel is removed, but remembered when I went for my MOT I didnt have my v5 with me, and the tech that did the MOT lifted the bonnet and took the chassis number off the panel I am about to remove, and then I thought if I get pulled by the boys in blue and they have a look under the bonnet for that number it will be gone, does that legally make a difference ? or is that number anywhere else on the car as I have had a look but cant see it anywhere.

Back to the top
You've already said it - chassis number is a legal requirement and is checked at MoT time for presence. Normally if you remove the scuttle panel you'd cut out and relocate the chassis number somewhere else. There's also a riveted-on VIN plate but I don't think this satisfies the requirement, because its not permanent enough.

Back to the top
Its all about making an argument for what the officer wants to happen.

If he has 'reasonable suspicion' that your car may be stolen then he can arrest you, lift the car to the compound and storage charges start from there.

You spend the next 6 hours sitting in a stinking cell waiting to be interviewed and have your say that its 'only' a modified car. You'd be bailed while the car is examined and if the identity can't be proved then you may lose it.

If you cut out the VIN and weld it somewhere else then again it looks like something dodgy has occurred… even though its obvious that its a modification!

If you're not sure, ask someone who has done already. They must encounter the same problem every year at MOT time.

Remember though, should you get pulled by an officer HE is always right, especially when he's wrong! Its called the 'attitude test' get shirty and there's a one way trip FOC coming your way.

Back to the top
i'm all up for making cars look good but don't understand why people do this mod,

if anthing why not smooth the fire wall

Back to the top
Isnt the vin number also stamped into the top of the drivers side suspension turret?
It is on mine….

Back to the top
It should be either or. What year is your car?

Back to the top

paul_c said

It should be either or. What year is your car?

Paul mines 1979.

Back to the top
Sounds about right - 1980 and earlier had it on the suspension turret, 1981 and on located on the scuttle panel.

Back to the top
the cover having holes at the bottom may well keep the rain out, but not the water thrown into the bay or the fumes from the engine itself…

Jon.

Back to the top
I removed mine because it made servicing so much easier, what with it being a one off turbo installation anyway.

Back to the top
That is what I am looking at doing a 1.8 turbo conversion but wanna get the bay mint at the same time, I must admit I am unsure now what to do but I may not drill the holes in the back and just remove the heater motor completly as the cowl will come back to me without holes, and I am not using the car as a daily runner anymore so when winter comes it will be hidden away until the summer as its a convertible, but I am happy that I have raised a good topic I am a bit worried that there are more people against than for, so if anyone wants to add reason for doing it they would be appreciated cheers

Back to the top
i got rid of mine for the 20vt and it went through the mot last week, he took the vin off my tag on the slam panel

foxy

Back to the top
Thanks foxy, at last a reply from someone who's actually do it!!!!  :lol:

but….. what happens if the tag is lost!!!!  :mrgreen:  :banghead:

Back to the top
Hi got the carbon basket today looks sweet as a nut cant wait to start work on it just need to get shut of the jap crap next to it and work can start, foxy have you put the original basket back on or left it open ? cant find a pic of yours other than it open cheers

Back to the top
you can move the chassis number on your car but you must securely attach it back on some where else,  weld, rivet is classed as securely

rob

www.keets-customs.co.uk

Back to the top
Where do you stand if it has rusted away?  Mine has almost completely gone and you can only recognise a few figures.  The VIN plate has all the information the MOT man needs.

Driver driver.

Back to the top

TwoFourDonkey said

Where do you stand if it has rusted away?  Mine has almost completely gone and you can only recognise a few figures.  The VIN plate has all the information the MOT man needs.

VIN plate is okay if its securely attached.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.