Skip navigation

New member Value Question

Back to the top

New member Value Question

I know first post and all!

come across a bit of a rare "barn find" (well actualy heated dry garage find)

Thought this would be the place to get a idea of its value! a real B289 car if there ever was one!

1983 "y" Vw golf 1.6 4 door in black
one owner from new
Parked in garage in 1989 with 42k? on it (dvla tax confirms this)
not a ounce of rust
quite shockingly passed its mot first time with no work being done to it!
few little carpark dings from doors opening on it but thats it
Inside like new, some 80's accsesories like pioneer stereo and speakers
Original dealer number plates front and rear
no service history but the tax disk says it all!
2 orignal tyres on the back  8O
undersealed and wax oiled from new

Would be so easy if it was a GTI as there are loads about but how the hell do you value a 4 door!

Back to the top
Good starting point is the price guide on this website.

Back to the top
You don't you put it on the road and enjoy it, after all you are lucky to have one and thats priceless :D

Back to the top
I would have it as a everyday car if my current parking area was not full of the following
2005 A4 tdi
LT35 van
500bhp Ford capri (nearly done lol)
and a few others! you get the idea

Only reson this is still about is the fact we saved it from going in the crussher on the scrappage thing! the bloke was of his rocker wanting to scrap it wen someone will love it to bits!

Personly HATE to see any old cars going that way and have saved many a "old banger" over the years, its not a keeper its a seller and a price guide for a 1 owner 40 odd k car is about as much use as a chocolate tea pot!

Be fine if it was a GTI in this condition it would be 8-10k all day long

Back to the top

paul_c said

That gives a price guide of £500-£1250

Very accurate? :banghead:

Hence the question

Back to the top
So how did you save it from the crusher? Did you buy it off him?

Back to the top
Came in via the company i work for

Back to the top

adam6900 said

paul_c said

Hence the question

That range spans 2 conditions though. You say no rust, how good's the paintwork? How about the dents, are they noticeable? The guide is a bit confusing because it uses non-standard conditions, I guess its like that for a reason. It would be good to standardise it to condition 1, 2, 3 like other classic cars are valued, but as it is, it gives more info. Its only a guide though, if yours needs cosmetic attention but is low mileage and in generally original condition (not restored), then you can add a bit because of that.

Back to the top

adam6900 said

Came in via the company i work for

I'm still none the wiser! What company is this? And is it in, or out, the scrappage scheme (if its in, then it can't be used on the roads, must be scrapped etc so is effectively parts-only now).

Back to the top
Its came in through a thing called Car take back, The "dealer" scrappage finished over 3 months ago if they were on that its the end of the road no going back,

Good thing is cars Via Car takeback can come out of the Scrap system if the owner agrees to it and this one did by the skin of its teath leaving it HPI clear :)

Back to the top

paul_c said

adam6900 said

paul_c said

Hence the question

That range spans 2 conditions though. You say no rust, how good's the paintwork? How about the dents, are they noticeable? The guide is a bit confusing because it uses non-standard conditions, I guess its like that for a reason. It would be good to standardise it to condition 1, 2, 3 like other classic cars are valued, but as it is, it gives more info. Its only a guide though, if yours needs cosmetic attention but is low mileage and in generally original condition (not restored), then you can add a bit because of that.

Needs a PDR Dent man to do 5-6 trolly dents and about 4 paint chips toutching in and it would be factory fresh again, calipers need painting on the front, one rear shock needs painting, rocker cover, cam belt cover need painting, and a good paint correction to the car would leave it factory fresh,

Underside has been undersealed back in the 80's so that will always stop it from being concorse as everyone hates the black shit! and its got a non orignal fule line under the car,

Reson for coming on here was to see if anyone had sold / owned anything like it recently, price guids are usless normaly, Sold a mk2 xr2 last year, one owner 54k Top price guide was £1650, it sold for £4800in the real world

Back to the top
Wack some pics up on here that might ster some interest and you may get a reasonable offer Mk1s are difficult to put a price on it depends I guess how much somebody wants it.Sorry I can't be more helpfull

Back to the top
Take the "doesn't need respray" price then add a bit because of the originality/low mileage, then subtract the cost of the dent man, and you have the approx value. Lots of cars aren't finding buyers these days, so don't get hopes up too highly - a valuation is no use if the car can't find a buyer at that value, etc.

Back to the top
Yeah £1200-1500 seems about right to me. Non-GTIs never seem to go for much.

Back to the top
depends though, as a good, low mileage small block can fetch 2k.

What model is it? driver, cl etc?

If it's a GX then it's worth a fair bit I believe.  I would say at least 2K tbf.

I've been finding that non-gti's are actually going for more than gti's sometimes as they're rarer with low mileage as most were driven into the ground.

Jon.

Back to the top

Crowson_punk said

I've been finding that non-gti's are actually going for more than gti's sometimes as they're rarer with low mileage as most were driven into the ground.

Jon.

Of course they will - if their condition is better!!!! Like-for-like on condition, a GTI will always be worth more than a GL, the GTI was the top model and is iconic, etc.

Back to the top
Agreed that non GTis/Cabrios used to be poor relations and struggle to make more than £1000 even when in good nick.

Last few days seen a few 1.3 Drivers with asking prices £2000+. One on flea bay didn't even have carpets!

Poss because the younger generation looking for sometime that is vagely insurable?

The number of lower spec models and/or small engined cars must be about a 10th of GTis/Cabrios so supply and demand must eventually raise prices if there is a demand.

Special minty mint museum pieces often fetch big £ when a collector falls in love, but they are few and far between (the collectors) so unless you are prepared to hang on waiting until one turns up, I'd say anything from £1000-£2,500 would be a realistic price.

You could always stick it on ebay with a full and honest description with lots of photos and let the market decide?

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top

Early-1800 said

You could always stick it on ebay with a full and honest description with lots of photos and let the market decide?

Yes i think thats going to be the plan 50 pictures and e-bay on a 99p auction and no reserve and hopefully find a collector that wants one to love and not abbuse, its going in the workshop next week for a cambelt change (probably due by now lol) and a good clean up, And your right about one thing, there are loads of Mint GTI's about just for that reson they have always had a strong following, Base spec cars have always been unloved thats why i think this one is so so rare

Took the wheels off and steamcleaned the arches the end result was not one bit of rust to be found not even on the rear lips or front bit between the wing and front valance, even were it has had mudflaps screwed on there was no rust, genuine bonkers for a nearly 30 year old car, found one bit of the car thats been re-painted (top of drivers door) everything else is factory paint! tempted to go the whole hog on it and get the dent man out, Anyone know a good one that likes Vag's down south?

Will chuck some pictures on here by the end of the week

Back to the top
Is this it?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Volkswagen-Golf-Mk1-1-5-GL-Classic-Collectors-Not-Gti-/180556733188?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item2a0a051b04

Looks clean but seat materials gone saggy? and there's something wrong with the radiator/battery setup.

BIN in an auction isn't really letting the market decide the price  :dontknow:

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
There's some dreamers out there!!!!!!!!

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.