Skip navigation

BBS KIT OR NOT?? Cast your vote, pics included!!

Back to the top

BBS KIT OR NOT?? Cast your vote, pics included!!

Right people, really need your help on this one!

Thge car is off to the bodyshop soon and I need to take the BBS kit off in order to repair, what is quite frankly a tiny piece of rust on the bottom of the drivers wing.

I have 2 issues really, I LOVE the look of the BBS kit, really looks mean, not many about and it came with the car originally.

The second is that once the kit has been removed and a new wing fitted, the car can be prepped and sprayed job done, however if I want to put the kit back on the car, I have to go through all the hassle of getting the kit sanded, fitted prepped and sprayed with the car (and smoothed if i want to go back down that route). This will be a lot of extra work, and a lot of extra money!

I like the way the golf look with or without the bodykit, and really can't decide… So I would really appreciate some opinions!!!!!! [:y:]

Here are a few pics to help visualise.

Wanted: Front Bumper, DESPERATELY NEED A DRIVERS WING!

MY Build Thread

My Facebook Build Page #Project83

Back to the top
in my opinion i dont like the bbs kit never have and never will but its yur car you do what you think is best

Back to the top
i prefer the mk1 golf without the kit but i think You need to keep it original. It came standard on your car so i think it should stay. there are loads of golfs without the kit. yours is one of the best examples of a golf with a bbs kit on that i have seen and it would be a shame to change that.

Back to the top
Clearly a subjective issue, your car your choice  :wink: .

Personally I'm not a fan of any kit excluding the 'clipper' on a MK1 unless it's a rally car etc. Though I do drive the MK1 as it's pretty exclusive nowadays so you don't look like one of these tasteless no imagination peeps who just drive a new faceless A-B box, and as you say there's not many about with the BBS kit on it which increases exclusivity…… hhhhmmmm not sure to be honest - which do you prefer the look of?

MK1 GTi Cab '91' H Black
Mars Red Campaign - work in progress
MK1 GTi Sportline '92' J Red

Back to the top
9 times out of 10 I dont like the bbs kit but with the right set of wheels it can look really good.

I wouldnt choose to have the kit personally, especially if its smoothed in but its your car. Its good to see something different too

Back to the top
Dont bond the kit as thats a bodge and will crack overtime and you wont know when mr rust comes out to play. Prefer without and flaunting the sexy curves

Mk1'83 G60
Mk1'82 2.0L 8v
Mk1'93 GTI
Sportline

Back to the top
my old car. keep kit, dont blend.

Ever growing range of new mk1 golf parts www.classic-vw.co.uk

Back to the top
Thanks for all the help so far, I am THE most indecisive person ever. I want to have it both ways!!

jinsta said

Dont bond the kit as thats a bodge and will crack overtime and you wont know when mr rust comes out to play. Prefer without and flaunting the sexy curves

Well exactly, thats why it's having to come off (bit of rust on the front wing at the very bottom) if it wasn't smoothed in a could just takeoff the front arch but the whole kit has been (very well I might add) plastic welded together, so it all has to come off .

I dont want to have to worry about it going rusty again 2 years down the line because water is getting held underneath.

The kit was on the car out the factory so thats another reason I'm not sure about removing it it.

Like this iconic one:

as for smoothing, It was really well done but you do get issue with not being able to take it off:

Pic 1 looks spot on, it was that picture that has got me thinking about removing the kit!! very very nice!

But this is the picture that makes me think hmmm:

http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=83427

If I could get some rubber as per the original kit then I would put it back on as per the original car (non smoothed) I did have some but they were all very cracked.

MY Build Thread

Back to the top
as much as i like the bbs body kit, i would leave it off, your golf would look really nice without it but as said its your choice bud

chris

Chris

Banner

Back to the top
KEEP IT KEEP IT! far rarer than with out, if your stuck, get a non BBS kit'd mk1 aswell, problem solved! hehe, its worth the effort i red, that lhasa green one with the bbs kit looks amazing and your colour is unusual so that combined with a bbs kit, i think you should keep! just my 2 pence

Weber,ATS,Apex,Ripspeed,Supersprint,K&N MOMO..tbc

Back to the top
i think the bbs kit doesnt suit your car is such a bright colour. i think it would look the bomb lowered on some bbs rims debumpered single light grill  :)

Back to the top

New wheels, maybe this will help!!

Ok the opinion is, mine included, that kit on or off, the wheels really don't work and aren't helping when people are trying to visualise because allthey can see is the horrible wheels!

So here is a quick photoshop of the kind of wheels i'd like to go for.

MY Build Thread

Back to the top
as soon as you take that kit off your going to have to replace everything!!

Thats what killed my one.

Ever growing range of new mk1 golf parts www.classic-vw.co.uk

Back to the top
for the love of god! the wide wheels shopped image! do that! looks amazing!

Weber,ATS,Apex,Ripspeed,Supersprint,K&N MOMO..tbc

Back to the top
This is the only one I can say I like with the kit on. Its a cabby though.

Something about this looks so right

I saw the same car in a for sale ad or something not long ago with standard wheels and it looked rubbish.

Its a shame to cover up the shape of the original arches though

Back to the top
Love this pic!!!

ross_m said

I saw the same car in a for sale ad or something not long ago with standard wheels and it looked rubbish.

It does really depend on the wheels! I was discussing this with a few friends and we all said if I keep the kit, get some good looking dished wheels!

Steffan RS's (fake splits) 14x8's with et 20

MY Build Thread

Back to the top
Been to the paintshop this afternoon and had a chat about the kit. Because the kit is, in their words, "Well stuck on". We decided that to save a bit of money and as I can do it as and when I have spare time, I'm going to remove the kit myself.

I can take as much time or as little time doing it as I please. I'm pretty handy with a spanner and have done a fair amount of bodywork in my time so should be a breeze. Going to take my time though make sure I do it properly and then I can delivery it to the paintshop ready to work on straight away.

Going to start it tomorrow!!

Alfie

MY Build Thread

Back to the top
I dont like kits. as most other members here.
but and this is the big butt.
I do like things to be as there were originally.
so if the car came from the factory with a kit then the kit should stay.
the log book will say its a bbs gti and it should be.
but dont smooth it !!
most everyone will say ditch the kit but then there be one less factory fit
bbs gti about. :(

on the other hand with it smoothed like that you might not be able to get it off
without butchering it.
then you wont have a choice.

if first you dont succeed. read the instructions.

Back to the top
Just to throw a spanner in the works what about a zender kit LOL

Back to the top
Just to throw a spanner in the works what about a zender kit LOL

Ewwwwwww!!   :lol:

MY Build Thread

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.