Skip navigation

Papyrus Green Bermuda import

Back to the top

Papyrus Green Bermuda import

What colour roof are you going to put on it?

Back to the top

Swallowtail_uk said

nice paintwork mate…..looks cool

Cheers….will hopefully look proper old school once I'm done with it :)

bouchay said

What colour roof are you going to put on it?

Sticking with the original black as it's a pretty new roof TBH although might change the headlining as there is a small tear in it :cry:

Back to the top
Car's back….yeh  :D

Not done much as had to clear the garage to make space, but got the new chrome trim strips on the sides and fitted a rare grille cover for the front that I managed to pick up 8)

So much to do, but gonna take my time so it all gets done right :)

Probs get chrome bumpers on tomorrow

Back to the top
A great thread and you're doing a fine job, keep the posts coming!

My New Year's resolutions are: 1. Stop making lists. B. Be more consistent. 7. Learn to count.

Back to the top
Got some nice Chrome door handles, but they r very very early ones so need the locks as well which sucks so they aint fitted, but started on the original locks anyway

From this

To this….still got work to do

Then started on the dash as the covering at the windscreen vents where it's lifted. oot with the glue an a few tools to hold in place

And after

Also got the rear end together

Just need to fit the solenoid to pop the boot and it'll be done (hence boot aint shut) :D

Back to the top
So seeing as it was tipping down with rain yesterday started on the sh1tter jobs like stripping the lights to clean and paint. Easier to buy new ones but owt wrong with the original Hella ones and given you see the backs of em then they needed doing.

Started with a rather rusty light.

Stripped and masked

First coat of primer and ready for some silver finish coat

Also got time to stick the chrome wing bolts on

Back to the top
The car is looking sweet bro, the chrome side trim looks much better on yours than it would have done on mine, nice paint job and colour  :D

1989 MK1 Golf Clipper
1999 Ford Cougar 2.5 v6 (soon the nightmare will be over and car gone)

Back to the top

89clipper said

The car is looking sweet bro, the chrome side trim looks much better on yours than it would have done on mine, nice paint job and colour  :D

Cheers buddy…..slowly getting there :D . Decided today that I'm gonna smooth the engine bay so have slowed down on the body work and concentrating on exterior and interior for now. Didn't realise the paint shop wouldn't smooth off the original finish in the bay so rather than be annoyed for life will get it re-done before putting the engine back in

Back to the top
looking good fella.

You need to use High temperature glue to hold the flaps of the dashboard vent, or the heat will loosen the glue eventually.

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top
Small update.

As I've smoothed the tailgate I needed a solenoid fitted to pop the lid so had a look on ebay etc for solenoid kits and remembered I've got 2 W8's that I'm breaking so took the full boot lock kit out of that in the hope I could use the solenoid there.

Full mechanism with solenoid unscrewed on the right

Solenoid that was originally for a cable operated system

Original mk1 book lock pull rod alongside the first stage of cut down and bending

The final rod after bending etc

and lo and behold a very OEM looking solenoid fitted

and it works!

Back to the top
Thanks to someone on here I checked out nordic-chromes ebay stuff and picked these up

crackin quality for the cash

Back to the top
So started working again and a little bit of progress.

Started off with stripping the front suspension out so I can get the hubs painted along with refurbing the calipers etc. Everything else is getting replaced so new wishbones, shocks and springs, top mounts, bushes, tie rod's, track rods, brakes discs (Brembo drilled ones I picked up at ED38 last year……need the extra stopping power for the 3 speed auto  :lol:  ), brake lines and pads.

Thankfully painter prepped all the arches when he was painting it so no work to do there

One side off. Not been touched for years I'll bet although new discs and pads have been on recently. Typically all bolts are well seized   :?

One wishbone stripped off and ready for the bin :D

Only thing I need to decide on is whether I get the wishbones powdercoated or not as it's an extar layer of protection, but causes all sorts of issues with getting bolts through smaller holes  :banghead:

Back to the top
So today's exploits involved getting the hubs on and everything bolted up. Got the carriers and discs on…..just waiting for the calipers to dry and they can go on as well. Painted the hubs silver and calipers and carriers gold as I think it fits with the green car.

While I was waiting I drilled out the holes on the front panel so I could get the bonnet catch on. This is what you find with non OEM panels nowt fits properly. Decided I would use some nice chromed bolts from a spare W8 manifold I had lying around  :D

Then decided I might as well fit the rad as I had a new powder coated housing and had nice chromed holders for it

And finally finally got the engine back into the garage so I could get another coat of paint on it

Hopefully more works tomorrow……wife allowing  :lol:  :lol:

Back to the top
Been a while, but been busy getting more stuff done and nearly there :D

Had to colour code the water pump and clean up the pulley so took it off and into bits

And rebuilt after paint and an internal clean and fitted

Then went onto the opening Quarterlight windows
Stripped of all the bits

and rust dealt with, painted, new seals fitted and re-built

Also started to strip and paint some details like gearbox back plate etc and sump

Got a few bits back from PowderTech and finish is really good given the original condition

Took the steering rack to bits and replaced all the boots….will get it painted today and all back together

Painted up the servo mount so will hopefully get the brake transfer bar etc fitted today

So cylinder head. Needs tidying and will swap tappets and cam from the existing engine, but should look quite good  :lol:

Slight updates. Got the roof all bolted up which allows me to get rear windows and door cards on.

Finished with the front wishbones, hubs, brakes and suspension so tried a wheel on. They need a bit of polishing again given the caps are so new, but will get that dones nearer the time along with replacing the red BBS logos

Sitting a bit wide, but hoping that once it's sat down and tyres are on they will sit in a bit

Car now sat on std wheels……….and once the engine is in is probs gonna be way too low so will need a bit of adjusting

Back to the top
Managed to get pretty much all of the engine together now, loom has been meticulously cleaned and I've started to fit it back on.

Little details completed like stripping and cleaning the inlet manifold and exhaust manifold and painting with high temp paint. Stripped the alternator and painted the top part and sent the larger casing away for powdercoat and now it's all back together it looks great alongside the rest of the black stuff.

Alternator all back together after powdercoating

Fuel accumulator painted and on

And with it back together and back in

Given this is a mk2 injected head on this I had to block the injector ports so ordered M24 bolts, but looked at the size an weight an fecked em off in favour of a simpler idea  :?

Take some of this

and a far simpler idea becomes this

Simples take a penny and metal glue it to the injector guide an hey presto…..job done  :D

Started to get a lil bit of paint on the distributor. Only parts of it as the rest will get polished

Also got a few more polished bit through so stuck em on

Back to the top
if you fancy some powder coated bits to replace your rusty bits (fan housing cam belt cover etc) let me know.

Ever growing range of new mk1 golf parts www.classic-vw.co.uk

Back to the top

funk-star said

if you fancy some powder coated bits to replace your rusty bits (fan housing cam belt cover etc) let me know.

All done already thanks :D

Back to the top
Looks stunning.

Back to the top

charlie-says said

Looks stunning.

Cheers fella…….slowly getting there :D

Back to the top
I'm not a fella! People always call me fella on here. Sadface.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.