Skip navigation

carbon fibre on a mk1?

Back to the top

carbon fibre on a mk1?

I have made some bits and bobs for my car at work. The bits get very mixed reactions from the general public. Most people like it but some dont because my car is too retro for all this modern day motorsport technology.

My golf is no racer so i have only made various bits of trim, e.g; badges, dashboard trim, steering wheel bits, tax disk holder, door handle scratch plates, filler cap trim and i have plans to make door cards, hopefully a parcel shelf and other little bits when i get the time. I take exeptional pride in the bits i make for it and they are the best quality i could do by hand.

i mainly do it because it is cheaper for me than buying stuff

i also like the fact that they are unique to my golf and that the carbon i use has formula 1 pedegree.

i have tryed to keep it subtle but it is so very easy to get carried away. Some parts i have made are not even on the car!(scratch plates for sale :wink: )

it makes sence if you are trying to save weight but my car is no racer.

I just wandered what other mk1 golf owners think of carbon fibre?   Would you or do you have some on your golf?

If i won gazillions on the lottery i would make a 4wd carbon fibre mk1 golf. IT WOULD NEVER RUST!! i can only dream

Back to the top
i have a carbon bonnet waiting to go on the car im building , i am also after carbon door cards,
the car has no heater so i'v blanked off the flocked  dash vents with carbon.
i love it :)
the car is to be used on track and sprint course's

i'd love cf tailgate/doors/roof etc.. but funds dont allow

Back to the top
theres nowt round with carbon fibre, it looks good without looking stupid.  Ever thought of making the rear badges out of it? i think that would look good

chris

Chris

Banner

Back to the top
I don't want carbon fibre on my Golf…

But I do wonder how much replacing the heavy GRP bonnet, boot and deck on my SS1 would cost, and what weight savings there would be…

2008 Citro'n C6 (C6 RTK)
1993 Jeep Cherokee. 1985 Scimitar SS1
132 cars in 18 years…

Past VWs: Mk 1 Clipper, Mk 2 Polo, Beetles, Beetle Cab, Buses, Passats, Sciroccos, Golf Mk 2 GTis, Jetta Syncro, New Beetle Cabrio

Back to the top
I just got a mk1 golf clipper cabriolet and would love some carbon fibre on it but costs way to much and not sure how easy it is to replace panels. Plus got many more things to do to it first before I think about anything like that.

P.S. Do you work in motorsport and formula one because am 16 and wanting to do motorsport engineering at uni hopefully ending in F1

Back to the top

wormitcabby said

I just got a mk1 golf clipper cabriolet and would love some carbon fibre on it but costs way to much and not sure how easy it is to replace panels. Plus got many more things to do to it first before I think about anything like that.

P.S. Do you work in motorsport and formula one because am 16 and wanting to do motorsport engineering at uni hopefully ending in F1

Doors, bonnet, bootlid, front wings are all easily replaced.

Bodykit likewise, if it's a big-bumper model.

2008 Citro'n C6 (C6 RTK)
132 cars in 18 years…

Past VWs: Mk 1 Clipper, Mk 2 Polo, Beetles, Beetle Cab, Buses, Passats, Sciroccos, Golf Mk 2 GTis, Jetta Syncro, New Beetle Cabrio

Back to the top
Chris,
 i have made a rear badge already. looks pretty smart i think. i buffed a small rectangular piece of carbon and then blanked off the 'golf' lettering(mk1 lettering) with tape. i then vapour blasted the badge and peeled of the tape giving the effect of shiny writting and matt background.

wormitcabby,
 I do work in motor sport and i make loads of different bits for f1 cars. i dont work for a team but the company i work for makes parts for three different teams this year. I didn't go to uni though. i just live near silverstone and got into it because many of my friends and family work in motorsport. I actually have a diploma in stonemasonry! i would love a marble dash board or something but it is not as practical for cars as carbon fibre :)

Back to the top
I've got CF door cards and roof :)

Well I like it  :mrgreen:

2 1983 Campains (concours & track)
1985 Blue GTi Ragtop
2001 Bora Estate TDi SE (very very rare)
2000 Golf TDI commuter
2005 T5 Transporter with 394000 miles on it!

Back to the top
cool. didn't know a roof could be done. did you buy that from somewhere or make it?

Back to the top
juz im intrigued does that mean you chopped the roof off to replace with carbon fibre or is it just like a skin on top of the metal roof?

*Either way it looks cool if you ask me :)

Back to the top

Back to the top
i love carbon fibre.!! i will be changing the tailgate, bonnet, wings, and even putting the roof on eventually (these is a how to on the site somewhere)  i have also been looking for doors, HR engineering used to do them, but due to the complications have stoped. performance trim were talking about doing some motorsport style ones, but i'm looking at a standard door, just made from CF.  The advantage with CF is it won't rust!!! you can paint it if you want it to look discreet, and it saves weight meaning better economy, and potentially a faster car.  Providing the quality, and fit is good, i can see no downside (other than the extreme costs!)  But thats just my opinion, and i have many of them about most things!!

Mk1GTi
Rallye Golf
Mk5 GTi
Mk7 GTD

Back to the top

Back to the top

golf1980 said

I do work in motor sport and i make loads of different bits for f1 cars. i dont work for a team but the company i work for makes parts for three different teams this year. I didn't go to uni though. i just live near silverstone and got into it because many of my friends and family work in motorsport. I actually have a diploma in stonemasonry! i would love a marble dash board or something but it is not as practical for cars as carbon fibre :)

Sooooo… carbon fibre suspension components, wishbones and the like… really hard to do? The SS1's are modified Chevette ones and notoriously weak due to the brackets that support the inboard shocks…

2008 Citro'n C6 (C6 RTK)
132 cars in 18 years…

Back to the top

Sedge said

juz im intrigued does that mean you chopped the roof off to replace with carbon fibre or is it just like a skin on top of the metal roof?

I've only got a 1/2 roll cage so kept most of the original metal roof, I just ditched the sunroof mechanism and tidied up around the edges but you could cut most of the roof if you wanted to.

Have a look on www.performancetrim.co.uk for nice CF bits for Mk1s :)

2 1983 Campains (concours & track)
1985 Blue GTi Ragtop
2001 Bora Estate TDi SE (very very rare)
2000 Golf TDI commuter
2005 T5 Transporter with 394000 miles on it!

Back to the top
love that roof juz, looks cool.  Golf1980, any chance of pics of ya badges mate, would love to see those, ever thought of making em and selling em on?

dhris

Chris

Banner

Back to the top

juz said

Sedge said

I've only got a 1/2 roll cage so kept most of the original metal roof, I just ditched the sunroof mechanism and tidied up around the edges but you could cut most of the roof if you wanted to.

Have a look on www.performancetrim.co.uk for nice CF bits for Mk1s :)

Nice link to the site there juz! some cool stuff, liking the idea of carbon fibre bumpers if only i had any money hahaha

Back to the top
Golf1980, any chance of pics of ya badges mate, would love to see those, ever thought of making em and selling em on?

for somereason my pc wont let me load my photos onto it :( so i can not show them to you. I will however be at e38 in northamton this september if anyone wants to have a look. i will be putting my golf in the show and shine. After that show i wont be spending so much on the golf  so i can buy myself a good phone. then you wont be able to stop the flood of pics of my car!

I have thought about making badges and selling them. keyrings too. i sold a filler cap on ebay a few weeks ago and only got £30 for it. Because of this low selling price I just dont know if anyone would go for them. They take a lot of work cos i do them all by hand. And i really do a very good job of them. One guy at mercedes gp asked if i had my grill badge machined! not sure of a price either. I can only make them during my break times. Also if i make more, mine would no longer be unique. But that isn't really a very good exuse. Because they are hand made, every one would be unique. Finding the right off cuts is tricky too. Not many components we make are flat. My grill badge has the exact same dimensions as a genuine VW one. Carbon this thick is quite expensive (11mm if i remember corectly)and harder to file into the right shape. My boss priced my grill badge up (cost of material, laying up, clave time, use of tools and labour) and it came to around £600! F1 prices are rediculous. I wouldn't charge anywhere near that. If i made grill badges they would be 0.7mm thick and would be increadibly light. I would hope to get about £45 for a thin grill badge. For a thick one i would say £150 just because they are so much more work and i cant really be bothered.

Back to the top
Sooooo… carbon fibre suspension components, wishbones and the like… really hard to do? The SS1's are modified Chevette ones and notoriously weak due to the brackets that support the inboard shocks…

It could be done but involves designing stronger parts(taking weave direction,type of weave, thickness of the carbon and other stuff into account), making patterns of them. Then making moulds off of them. Then laminating, trimming and probably bonding parts. It is a very time consuming and expensive process. If i started my own business i could make loads of bits but i only get break times to make stuff. Little things are easiest for me. preferably flat things too, like badges, keyrings, tax disk holders, filler caps, dashboard facias and other general trim. :)

Back to the top
i'm a big F1 fan and am now very, very, very jelous of you.

Mk1GTi
Rallye Golf
Mk5 GTi
Mk7 GTD
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.