Skip navigation

Drunken Stag Do Purchase - '82 Lhasa Green Mk1 GTI

Back to the top

Drunken Stag Do Purchase - '82 Lhasa Green Mk1 GTI

It's ok.  She knows now and is almost happy for me to keep it!

Butleraw '83 Schwarz Black GTI

Back to the top

Thought I'd add an update to this thread.  Wife has forgiven me and the wedding all went ahead without any probs.  Now I'm settling into married life, I thought it would be a good time to start working on ROJ.

I've not done a lot since I purchased the car apart from strip the interior.  After some playing around with the engine it seems that the bottom end has gone.  It just about runs, but is knocking badly.  Here are the latest pics of the car pre welding.  I am hoping to get that done in the next few weeks.  I will post some more pictures once that has been completed…

Stripped Interior…

Areas that need welding

Front Valance…

Rear Valance…

Both Wheel Arches…

Fuel Filler…

Behind Rear Number Plate…

And worst of all, Rear Inner Wing…

Back to the top
Quite a lot of rot there to sort but for the money reckon you got a bargain ;) Look forward to seeing your progress

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Looks like ur gona have some good nights ahead of u, it will all be worth it wen it's done that's what I keep telling myself anyway :)

Back to the top
It does look rough mate to be honest however at that price you'd get it back in parts… get it all patched up and MOT'd and you're off  :lol:

Back to the top
It's certainly rough!  The floor seems pretty solid, which is a bonus!

Back to the top
you have had ur work cut out mate

Good Luck

Cheers

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top
Any more progress on this :D

Back to the top
Well it's been a while since I last updated my status on Roger.  Well not a lot has happened to the car since my last update.  I have been collecting parts.  So far I have 2 genuine front wings, a drivers door, 2 sills, both rear arches, fuel cap repair panel and one of the rear inner arches.  I've also picked a partly rebuilt cabby 8v engine.

I have been storing the car for the last couple of years in a council garage.  Unfortunately there is no electricity and very little room so I've not had much of a chance to do anything.  After speaking with a relative, it was agreed that I could move Roj to their house.  The Garage is quite large, unused and has electricity and light…  Nice :-)  I made the move today and got speaking to the recovery guy who moved the car.  It seems he does welding on restorations.  I may well be speaking to him again soon…  Anyway here's some pics of Roj being loaded up.

Back to the top
Looking forward to the updates  :D

Back to the top

butleraw said

Areas that need welding

Front Valance…

Rear Valance…

Both Wheel Arches…

Fuel Filler…

Behind Rear Number Plate…

And worst of all, Rear Inner Wing…

All, I'm looking to get someone to weld up the scabby bits above.  I have collected most of the repair panels and I hope to purchase the rest before the work takes place.  What would be a fair ball park price to do the above welding jobs?  Basically it needs 2 rear arches, replacement front and rear panels and the filler neck area repaired.

Back to the top
if you're not in a hurry then learing to mig is a usefull skill , its not hard

Back to the top

peeriehutchie said

if you're not in a hurry then learing to mig is a usefull skill , its not hard

That was my original plan.  Unfortunately I don't have the time to do this at the moment.  I'm in the process of selling my daily driver, because I want the mk1 as a daily.  Is there anybody on here that would want to earn a few quid doing some welding.  I'm based in Christchurch, Dorset.

Back to the top
unfortunately i have too much time and unfortunately arthritis , and much too far away to volunteer , but the hole where the breathers come thru is a bit awkward to get good

Back to the top

peeriehutchie said

unfortunately i have too much time and unfortunately arthritis , and much too far away to volunteer , but the hole where the breathers come thru is a bit awkward to get good

That's the one part that really worries me.  I've not seen anyone else with rust in that spot.  

I've just spotted your location.  That would be one hell of a trek!

Back to the top
few hundred miles yes lol , yes it was a challenge making bits for that hole and gettin a full weld on it too

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.