Skip navigation

'big brake' 280mm conversion

Back to the top

'big brake' 280mm conversion

hello shaney,
depends which way your backing plates are mounted, you can flip them so rather than surrounding the brakes as factory the rim is pointing towards your hub, although this is pointless as road grit can still get to your disks and pads and cause grooves in the surface. i havent actually got backing plates on at the moment, the entire project kind of stalled when i lost my job. slowly building momentum again though, so i'll be using corrado G60 plates when i get hold of some…i'll add that to this thread if they require any modification.
as for the servo and master cylinder, mine is a 1.3 and the brake pedal requires a bit of effort to get the brakes to bite but once they do it stops almost instantly. it is running without vacuum assistance as bike carbs dont really cater for such things so if you have say a GTI with vacuum assistanced then i cant see it creating any problems.
hope that helps and good luck with the conversion!

This is not a good town for psychedelic drugs

Back to the top
I've recently put this setup on my cabby along with 22" servo and MC.

I wasn't overly impressed with the conversion brackets to be honest as i had to file them down a bit to stop them catching on the disc. Also if the locktite fails your in a world of hurt as theres not enough thread on those counter sunk bolts for my liking.

Anyway after fitting and bleeding I'm getting a scary amount of pedal travel before the brakes bite.When they bite they're spot on but the pedel is easily going 50% if not more before I get anything.

I can appreciate all the components are new and need bedding in but i wouldnt expect it to be this bad.

Anyone had similar issues??

Craig, Co. Durham
78' MK1 Golf N (Work in Progress)
88' MK2 Golf GTi 8v
93' MK1 Golf Cabriolet
06' Yamaha R6

Back to the top
i feel safer with these brakes than the standard, response is sharper and pedal feels like theres weight behind it, if you get what i mean? suppose its all down to personal preference at the end of the day, if you dont feel safe then id advise taking them off and going back to standard.
im sure if you talk to grego he'd be more than happy to put your mind at ease about clearances and tolerance

This is not a good town for psychedelic drugs
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.