Skip navigation

How easy is it to drive a left hooker?

Back to the top

How easy is it to drive a left hooker?

Might seem like a daft question, but I have never driven a left hander before.
Is there anything that I should be aware of whilst driving one?
Would the insurance be more to for a left hand import?
Cheers all

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top
Personally i love a left hooker. I had a Golf Rallye for 2 years and was my daily, did over 30,000 miles in it. It is actually easier than a right hand drive as you are changing gear with your dominant right hand (assume you are right handed).

The only mistake i made was when i bought it, i drove onto the motorway put my foot on the clutch to change gear and wound down the window  :banghead:. other than that drive through's and getting tickets for carparks are the issues. It make you a better driver as you hang back a bit before you overtake.

Good luck

1979 mk1 Golf Gti (Dan)
1983 mk1 Golf gti G60 (little-un)

1991 mk2 Golf Country Chrome Edition
2010 T5 Karmann Colorado

2012 mk6 Golf Tdi convertible
2019 Skoda Octavia Sport ( it’s Golf)

Back to the top
Cheers ant,
I got me eye on something at the moment that's a left un and have never driven one, plus the ticket thing my Girlfriend will be designated ticket woman LOL  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

The speedo is in KMH and ideally I would want to swap the binnacle for an MPH one, unless I get something that matches the milage which would also be in KM's also.

Would need to convert about 30,00km to Miles any Idea?

Back to the top
1 mile= 1.61km

1km = 0.62 miles

so 30,00km = 1860 miles

Back to the top

studs said

1 mile= 1.61km

1km = 0.62 miles

so 30,00km = 1860 miles

oops thats low mileage I think I meant to put  30,000 (thousand) so if I add another 0 then it should be 18,600 miles then?

Back to the top

chortle said

studs said

1 mile= 1.61km

1km = 0.62 miles

so 30,00km = 1860 miles

oops thats low mileage I think I meant to put  30,000 (thousand) so if I add another 0 then it should be 18,600 miles then?

yes, i suspected you meant 30,000k's

Back to the top
ive had a few left hookers and have got one now (mazda miata, us mx5) not really a problem to drive you just have to look ahead a bit more, you will also try to change gear with the window winder at least once and the most embarrassing is when you get in the wrong side (and you will).
you can have a great laugh though, if your stuck behind a bus pull out a little bit so your passenger can see, if no response then its safe, if they tense up then there's something coming, and if they scream then pull back in before you have a head on. 8O. have your passenger on the phone when a police car is going the other way see how embarrassed they are when its not the driver. and what ever you do you must go through the drive in backwards at least once :D   :D  :D

Back to the top
Racer, than whole post had me in stitches.... :D :D :) :)

Back to the top
No problem at all. I have a LHD 3 series as I do a lot of driving in Europe. Regularly drive it in the UK.

Most insurance companies will not charge you more although a few will so shop around. You say the speedo is in KPH …. is the car UK registered ?

BigMoose

Back to the top
Aparently it is uk registerd.
I have done a check and it clearly is an import, probably from germany, ex servicemans car I assume. It has age related plates that are uk standard it's on a j plate.

Back to the top
I imported a LHD VR6 from Germany and also my Beemer. The VR6 was easy but the beemer was a nightmare.

If it has UK plates and a MOT it should be just like buying any other car.

BM

Back to the top
yep it's got 11 months MOT.

Thing is though are they wotrh less than a right hander?

I mean the motor looks mint with the KM converted it's only really showing less than 17,000 miles.

You would struggle to find a right hander with such low mileage, accordingly it's a 3 owner car.

I wonder if that sounds right?  :dontknow:  :dontknow:  :dontknow:

It looks pretty mint too.

It does not show what the model is when you check it out though only manufacture and engine size, which both are correct.

I just use thr free car check, would my insurance company know if I rang them?

Back to the top
it's showing reg date as 03, pressume that's when it got imported to hear, but is a 91 year motor. :dontknow:  :dontknow:

Back to the top
i had a 3 litre capri once in LHD, couldnt hack it all , kept it 3 weeks

Back to the top
you would be surprised how much the loading is for a left hooker, my old notchback cost me 3 quid more because it was lhd.

you could also buy a stick on pram kids steering wheel, you should see the look on pedestrians faces when you passenger swerves at them. or just wave a spare steering wheel in the air always good for a laugh. :D  :D

if its a special car at the right price then might be worth converting it most cars have all the holes already there just blanked and not as hard as you would think

Back to the top
LHD isnt a problem at all only when u try to overtake vans or 4x4`s i find,because u cant see through the back window as easy.I have got a LHD mk1 GTI 2.0 16v as my daily,a mk2 G60 Edition One in LHD of course and a 1980 BMW E21 323i LHD!

Back to the top
Don't be phased by a LHD. Initially you may try and get in the wrong side and occasionally you might reach in the door pocket instead of reaching for the geastick but you'll soon get used to it. Once you've mastered these things the only thing you have to master is patience when you get stuck behind a wagon or caravan. However if you have a co-driver then that problem is solved and tbh a golf is so narrow you can lean across yourself to take a peak. Just don't take risks if you can't see. Hang back and watch for your opportunity. Sometimes on sweeping left handers you can see more than you would in a RHD car !

Personally, I really enjoy driving mine and love hugging the inside line. The only gear I find a bit un-natural to select is 5th as it feels strange pushing the gearstick away from you, rather than in towards you.

As for insurance, I'm getting to be an oldie now so maybe that's why I don't get stung but my first LHD was a 76 LS Golf when I was 18 and they never charged me a premium.

Regarding the KMH clocks, just familiarise yourself with the equilvilant MPH and leave the original in. It's part of the history of the car and will not be a problem at MOT time (just remind the tester at the time when he's filling in the 'mileage' to put it down as km !)

Finally, a LHD will have better breaks as the servo is on the left hand side and your car will not have the extra connection bar, which is known to flex and lose you brake power !  

Get it bought !  :wink:

DubPartz

Back to the top

racer said

ive had a few left hookers and have got one now (mazda miata, us mx5) not really a problem to drive you just have to look ahead a bit more, you will also try to change gear with the window winder at least once and the most embarrassing is when you get in the wrong side (and you will).
you can have a great laugh though, if your stuck behind a bus pull out a little bit so your passenger can see, if no response then its safe, if they tense up then there's something coming, and if they scream then pull back in before you have a head on. 8O. have your passenger on the phone when a police car is going the other way see how embarrassed they are when its not the driver. and what ever you do you must go through the drive in backwards at least once :D   :D  :D

Spot on racer. I did the McDs drive through backwards and could'nt stop laughing

I bought overstickers for the speedo but would of been easiler to write down the key speeds ie 30 40 50 60 &70.

Only buy a LHD in this country if the model is not available in RHD like a Golf Rallye, Lancia Delta intergralle or you drive abroad alot. I can see if its a rare model but a LHD audi TT for example(because i was offered one recently) there is no point.

1979 mk1 Golf Gti (Dan)
1983 mk1 Golf gti G60 (little-un)

1991 mk2 Golf Country Chrome Edition
2010 T5 Karmann Colorado

2012 mk6 Golf Tdi convertible
2019 Skoda Octavia Sport ( it’s Golf)

Back to the top
What car is that you are buying mate. ?

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top
another cabby lol  :lol:

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.