Skip navigation

Project Kermit ~ Mk1 16v

Back to the top

Project Kermit ~ Mk1 16v

So finally after two years, I got the car if not quite finished at least roadworthy, it passed mot tonight, I'm a happy man :D

Here's a couple of pictures, I'll get some more and a bit of a write up later when I get it sorted out the way I want it.

I have to say that a Mk1 goes nicely with a 16v, quick enough to be a bit of fun anyway.

My New Year's resolutions are: 1. Stop making lists. B. Be more consistent. 7. Learn to count.

Back to the top
lookin good sir , i think we need a run out !

Back to the top
Eventually got the car taxed, insured and mot'd so I'm road legal. Took it and got it valeted today so I thought I would post up a few pictures of it cleaned up.

I've a couple of issues to sort out, it's a little low/soft at the front and I'm getting some buffing and it starts perfectly when cold but when warm it cranks over really slowly like the battery was almost flat (its new and its fully charged), anyone out there came across this and how did you fix it?

My New Year's resolutions are: 1. Stop making lists. B. Be more consistent. 7. Learn to count.

Back to the top
A wee update, when I did the car up I didn't replace the suspension so that was the next thing on my list.

So after much deliberation and reading up on Mk1's and how to get them to handle well without a bone crushing ride and as I'm an old man and didn't want to run the car really low I finally went for Eibach springs with Koni dampers and Flowflex poly bushes; and when the lot had been removed I decided to powder coat the axle etc.

I have to say its early days but the handling is transformed (as it should be with every ball joint and track rod end etc. replaced), it sticks to the road and rides really well. So overall a lot of work but great job satisfaction at the end of it.

Now it needs better brakes  :lol:

Back to the top
I had a drive in this last night and have to say it drives as if it is on rails ,brilliant.

Back to the top
Lovely car. Awesome colour too. :)

Back to the top
Car looks stunning, powdercoated parts look great too. Great work.

Matt

Back to the top
Nice job done desperado on the rear axle. Are you for castlewellan saturday week? The new suspension set up looks great. Top job  :thumbs:

Cheers Hugh.

www.vwgolf1.com - vw golf parts and genuine accessories!

Banner

Back to the top
Lovely car Desperado  :wub::wub:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.