Skip navigation

Project Kermit ~ Mk1 16v

Back to the top

Project Kermit ~ Mk1 16v

Project Kermit   :D

Let me introduce you to my little Mk1 project, Its mostly built but needs the final push to complete. The spec as i've been told and as far as I can make out is as follows

Body

1.1c in Selvas Green with all standard exterior trim, very similar to GTi, has a bee-sting aerial, GTi wheel arches, GTi front spoiler, Zender 3 piece rear spoiler (removed as the main bit disappeared on the trip home), only body mod was to change the engine mounting to fit the 16v engine. Shell seems very straight and clean, its never been welded and only needs a little tidying on the back edge of the rear arches, it also has all its original stickers etc if that turns you on!

Interior

Standard door cards, and carpets, Scirocco mk2 seats (rear bench will require alteration to fit mounts), mk2 16v dash, centre console and clocks, with mk2 16v wiring loom (which has been lengthened as fuse board is on right side in mk2, but still situated on left as per original mk1), Wolfsburg 3 spoke steering wheel.

Engine

Standard 1.8 16v mk2 engine, with early 42mm inlet manifold, 16v gearbox with larger 100mm diameter drive shafts, standard mk1 GTi brakes, vented 239mm disks (may upgrade to 256mm), 22mm mk2 16v servo, rear drums are standard GTi, which have had new handbrake cables and shoes, fuel tank is GTi and has return for fuel injection, new filler neck, Spax sport line suspension, lowered I believe about 40mm, mk2 16v 6x14 steels with 185/60 tyres (will probably get alloys), the exhaust is an Ashley 4 branch as the standard 16v one hits bulkhead, and it is mated to a standard 1.8 GTi mk1 exhaust (might upgrade this too).

Jobs to do (there are many) :(

Need to get it going properly, so a service with all filters, a cam belt and what ever else it needs etc, might also clear the oil pick up pipe in the sump as I am told they can get clogged. Need to sort the air box and pipe work (looks like fun), exhaust manifold gasket, fit front anti roll bar, tyres or wheels and tyres. I will try to source a genuine VW driver side wing and then decide on how much paintwork to do. There is probably a lot more but I can not think of it at the minute.  

So thats the story so far it looks like not so much like the start of a build thread as a finishing thread. The plan would be to sort it out over the winter and have it out next year (famous last words). As this is my first project I am open to suggestions. I will try to keep you updated on progress and as I love to see everyones pictures I will try and upload a few of those as I go along as well.  :wink:

My New Year's resolutions are: 1. Stop making lists. B. Be more consistent. 7. Learn to count.

Back to the top
Lovely Car Mate, Lots of potential! Must shift with that power and very little weight...keep up the good work!

Back to the top
Very nice, good looking project, the 16v engine is awesome!

Mars red 1982 16v KR Conversion!

View topic: My 1982 16v - The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

Back to the top
I was looking at that on ebay and wondering where to get the money from lol

I thought it was crafty putting the seats on opposite sides so the slider handles work lol

Looking good, and i'd secretly crossed my fingers that it'd end up on here.  Theres not many selvas green cars around anymore, not in good nick! Think thats 4 of us on here now!!!!

I believe the airbox sits properly if you cut a groove up the middle of the bottom so it sits down on the chassis leg.

Jon.

Back to the top
Thanks Jon, so there's 4, I've seen yours and the one that was at the agm so one more to find  :lol: Aye apparently there were a few interested parties for her but I'm happy i got it she's a good one, it will tidy up into a nice wee car. Your thread is excellent by the way you seem to be enjoying it  :wink:

My New Year's resolutions are: 1. Stop making lists. B. Be more consistent. 7. Learn to count.

Back to the top
Love this car - so mint and straight…

went to see it the other night and looking forward to the updates!

Back to the top

Desperado said

Thanks Jon, so there's 4, I've seen yours and the one that was at the agm so one more to find  :lol: Aye apparently there were a few interested parties for her but I'm happy i got it she's a good one, it will tidy up into a nice wee car. Your thread is excellent by the way you seem to be enjoying it  :wink:

Need to get out and get some pics done later this week, it's now a bit higher and i've removed the shopping list. Explaining it was getting annoying lmao

Jon.

Back to the top
I am gathering together a service kit for the car and have hit a little snag with the fuel filter  :cry: , the filter on top of the air box is a Champion L203 which is listed for various Alfa's/Fiat's etc. and can't be sourced.

So I have 2 questions

Does anyone know the part number for the filter on top of the air box for a KR engine?

And I was under the car down near the petrol tank, is there another fuel filter there?  :dontknow: It looks like one but is rusted and I can't see any numbers or anything on it.

Back to the top
Small update, sourced a good used genuine VW drivers wing, bit of fun getting it off, I must be getting old  :wheelchair: And managed to get the grill, spoiler, bumper and drivers front wing off, so at least some progress is being made  :dance: I'll post a few pics when I can. :mrgreen:

Back to the top
Sorry never got around to updating this but I have been working on it (slowly I must admit :( ) Finally got it going, it got a full service with all filters, a cam belt etc. Plus a new water pump, thermostat and I cleared the oil pick up pipe in the sump. I've also cleaned up a few little rusty bits using deox gel (its good stuff).

Now I need a rocker cover gasket (leaking a bit) and still need to sort the air box and pipe work etc listed above. I was able to source a genuine VW driver side wing and got it cleaned up and fitted. So now I'm waiting on my painter to come and see it so we can decide on how much paintwork to do.

Post + top of inner wing cleaned, primed, painted and waxed.

As she sits at the minute

Back to the top
Well work is continuing slowly, but at least I'm still progressing  :lol: . Got Kermit stripped for painting and got a dent removal man at it. The photos don't do it justice he made a fantastic job of it, the sides are lovely and straight and it should need very little filler (ignore the fit of the blue wing, I just bolted it on, the painter will fit it properly :D .

Ivortheengine has dubbed it the CSI Golf due to all the writing and circles etc on it. Every one of those was a dent he took out!

So I left it to the painter yesterday (getting it repainted the same colour), looking forward to see how it turns out  :wink:

Back to the top
So time for an update, the car finally returned from the painter a couple of weeks ago and in my opinion he made a really great job of it  :D  .

I have started the rebuild, so far I've fitted the rear lights, refitted the roof cloth, got the sticker fitted around the rear window (thanks Ivortheengine2) and got all the glass in.

As usual I have discovered a few parts that need replacing and this has slowed progress a little but then I'm not in any hurry to get it finished. I've a few bits away to be re-anodised and the plan now is to get some parts to the powder coater and to refit the interior.

As this is my first project it's been a learning experience  :roll:  but I'm enjoying it  :lol:  .

Anyway enough typing I haven't taken that many photos and those that I have were taken with the phone so apologies for the quality of them.

At the painters.

On the trailer on the way home.

With a little work done.

Back to the top
Pics have turned out well des , there is very little filler on her , the finish looks excellent .keep the pics comin.

Back to the top
looking good

chris

Chris

Banner

Back to the top
All great work done there!

It was a Mk1 that colour that was slowly rotting in a neighbour's garden (circa 1996) that first got me interested in Mk1s. I always wanted to offer them a few quid for it but knew I didn't have the skills or money to get it roadworthy again!

Currently:

2003 Audi S3 (BAM) - Custom-Code Phase 1, Pipercross panel, Autobahn88 TIP, Forge 007p, Bilstein B8s & H&R springs, Brembo Max Grooved discs and Ferodo DS2500 pads and much more…FOR SALE!

1975 MG Midget 1500 - Stage Two+

Back to the top
Thanks for the comments

JS1500 said

All great work done there!

It was a Mk1 that colour that was slowly rotting in a neighbour's garden (circa 1996) that first got me interested in Mk1s. I always wanted to offer them a few quid for it but knew I didn't have the skills or money to get it roadworthy again!

Its an unusual colour all right, apparently there are only four left on the road that colour, I didn't really like it at first but now I think its great.

Back to the top
we need more pics here on the progress mr B

Back to the top

ivortheengine said

we need more pics here on the progress mr B

There you go  :wink:

So work has been progressing slowly (it's amazing how much time you can spend with very little to show for it :lol: ).

So far I've got all the glass put back in, fitted the grill, side trims, got a few parts away to be anodised and powder coated, blew cavity wax into everywhere I could get a probe and am gathering up the bits and pieces that I need to finish it.

The driver's side wing mid line trim needs to go back to the powder coaters that's why its not fitted and the grill needs a hit with 'back to black'.

Back to the top
ah she is coming together well ,really like the selvas trim on the  grill blends very well

Back to the top
Awesome! I love seeing the rarer coloured MK1's
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.