Skip navigation

SLIPPY8VS new toy I must be mad HAHA

Back to the top

SLIPPY8VS new toy I must be mad HAHA

A few more bits for the van stainless rear light surrounds and window grills to let fresh air in during the night if it ever gets to warm.
Also picked up a brand new Fiamma 3.5mt wind out awning, the price was to just good to miss, got the gutter brackets just have to remove 2 small sections of the fibre glass roof lip where it sits down into the gutter.

Back to the top
A few more jobs off the list fitted jail bars to the tail gate and a nice handy wee flip down cup holder for my 5 year old.
The big job was fitting the 3.5MT Fiamma awing!

Marked out where the heavy duty gutter brackets where they are going to be fitted then carefully cut a slot out of the fibre glass roof just where if sits on top of the gutter, then drilled some small holes side by side as I could not get the multi tool to cut down at an angle. Then cut between the drill holes using a small flat screw driver.
I could then lever the cut section of fibre glass out. Tidied up the edges with the multi tool and bolted on the first bracket, I needed to adjust the bolt holes just to get them to fit.
Just filed out about 2/3 mm to get the bolts at the right angle.
2nd bracket fitted the same way.
Fitted the awning on and wound it out to give access so I could drill through the back of   it and into the main mounting bracket, a small bolt and lock nut is then fitted to secure the whole awning to the gutter bracket.
Once fitted and tested everything was working I then took it all apart as I wanted to give the brackets a good coat of black hammerite paint I also resealed the cut section of roof with mastic to keep it water tight. Once dry I will mount everything back on. Really good awning it will give the van a lot more flexibility and only takes a matter of minutes to wind out.

Back to the top
Got the Eberspacher D2 heater fitted last week also got the Zig wired in, so can now run the 12v system when I get plugged in at the camp site and also charge up the leisure battery, have a few spare 12v connections left if I want any more plugs fitted.
The Eberspacher is fantastic has the van nice and warm in no time and runs very quite.
The digital thermostat will keep the temp at what ever you set it at and there is also a fault code system on the read out should any thing go wrong. Went for a new one fitted by a main dealer just for peace of mind and also 3 year warranty. Did a nice tidy job all the internal wires boxed off.
Had our first night way on Saturday at the local VW aircooled show at Oxford Island.
Nice and toasty for bed time and again first thing in the morning.Just need a small bit of rust sorted then she will be finished(maybe lol)

Back to the top
I bet its much better with that heater fitted.

I would love something like this.

Top work mate :-)

Back to the top
Norm you have no idea woke up on Sunday morning still a wee bit chilly just reached out of the old sleeping bag and pressed the on button,with in 10 mins the van was really nice and warm to crawl out and get up.
It will allow us to be free to travel and stay really anywhere now.
Looking at briefcase solar panels just for another back up.
T25'S are now getting very popular as the bays and splits are to expensive to buy, the 25 is alot bigger and i think a much better option for camping and touring but still has that old van feel.
The plan is to have it stocked up and ready to go at any time just need to get bread and milk lol.
The 5 day forcast will be watched to see what the weekends bring,then away we go, well thats the plan.
My 5 year loved it all a big adventure his mum also enjoyed it,(the heater helped) and i cooked the breakfast aswell.Its a win win.

Back to the top
Just another small bit finished tonight, the zig charger unit is basically a big transformer and can get quite warm when left on. The cabin unit had already been predrilled with 3 air vent holes,2 on the front and 1 at the back.
I picked up 3 copper inserts for plastic water pipe and these where a perfect fit once given a quick polish and matched the colour of the zig. So now when its on, cool air will be drawn from the back and out the front sorted.

Back to the top
With the zig panel now fitted and running I wanted to have some way to check the engine battery and leisure battery where both charging so I picked up a blue lcd volt meter and 3 way switch from E-Bay and a small plastic kit box from maplins 15.00 quid for the lot.
Got them fitted tonight, just have to run a live feed from the engine battery and its finished, nice and easy way to check both batteries.
Leisure battery shows 12.5volts with out engine running and 13.98 with engine running so not bad. Have to say this was a very easy to do, volt meter earth to earth on zig, live feed from volt meter to centre spade on switch then live from zig to 1st spade on switch, the engine battery will run to the 3rd spade on the switch.

Back to the top

"slippy" said

With the zig panel now fitted and running I wanted to have some way to check the engine battery and leisure battery where both charging

Good idea Slippy, nice to know how much power you have left in the lesiure battery.

My New Year's resolutions are: 1. Stop making lists. B. Be more consistent. 7. Learn to count.

Back to the top
A few more bits for the van picked up a Fiamma bike rack and stainless side bars from the same seller on e-bay great price and very easy fit.Got both of them picked up by senditnow.com 18kg 26 quid very happy.
Just need another rail to get the 3 bikes on.
The top grill spoiler is coming from Germany may not be to every ones liking but I like it lol.

Back to the top
Grill eyebrow arrived from Germany, got it painted up and fitted.

Back to the top
Looks cool to me!

T

Back to the top
Great job done… Slippy… Motor is looking better day by day!

The eyebrow looks well. Just a pity it covers the top of the vw logo to the front. Have you been out in it lately? Heading to castlewellan?

Cheers Hugh.

www.vwgolf1.com - vw golf parts and genuine accessories!

Banner

Back to the top
cheers hugh,day trips only after the aircooled show at Oxford Island overnight stay. Yes will be at Castlewellan in the Rivage.Planning a long weekend in the van in July just to test her out,before a trip to Wales then lego land and down to Cornwall working back up to Wales,well thats the plan.Want to do the cambelt and water pump just to be on the safe side.Doing the Antrim coast run this Sunday with the aircooled and van club bbq at Ballycastle .

Back to the top
Pity… As I won't make the castlewellan show again this year… We are at a wedding on that saturday of a cousin of mine :banghead: It would have been good to catch up!

As you know I'm heading to uttoxeter… Can't wait for that… :wink:

Might look at a meet down south in September… Would you drop down?

Cheers Hugh.

www.vwgolf1.com - vw golf parts and genuine accessories!

Banner

Back to the top
Yes happy to attend, was going to do Mosney but was a wash out.
looking for the red markers on the map not that many yet.

Back to the top
Wanted a BBQ for the campervan but needed one that was easy to carry and big enough, so picked this beauty up on E-Bay 21.00 delivered, just like a big tool box clip down lid and a separate charcoal burner inside so it can be closed up after use and it wont spill ash every where. It has 4 feet and a heat deflector on the bottom so you can have it on a table.
Have used it already and it's a great bit of kit, but having it on the ground is a bit of a pain. So as I already had a tripod base and leg for the campervan table I decided to make up my own stand. Got an alloy table socket and bolted it on to the heat deflector now I have a BBQ which is at the ideal height for standing at (beer in hand), and is nice and stable. When it's not needed I can just take it apart and packs a way nice and neat. I lined it with aluminium foil so when I am finished cooking I can just fold the cold ash up and bin it, all nice and clean for the next time.
If your looking for a real handy BBQ this is the job and cheap to.

Back to the top
Picked up an Outwell country road drive away awing at the end of last year but never had it out of the bag so rather than look a fool at the camp site my wife decided we had to have a go at putting it up this week in the garden.
I had got it from Just kampers and Outwell have a video showing you how it goes up, so after a few viewings we gave it a go.
Had it built in half an hour reckon we could now do it in 20 mins, even got it all back in the bag which is the real tester.( and we are still talking) LOL
Came with a zip in groundsheet, inner bed room, soft over carpet and plastic foot print so the ground sheet stays clean, even has a mat to clean your feet.
Fitted using Velcro straps on to a roof rack if fitted or  3 suckers to clamp an awning pole on to the side of the van or figure of 8 strip to slide on to gutter.

Back to the top
Good news no more bucket for the waste water,after searching for ages i got the very rare correct underslung one on ebay came with the 3 correct hook on brackets ,just needed to make 3 new drop down brackets photos soon.

Back to the top
Well all fitted and working,  made 3 new hangers and gave the old hook on hangers a good coat of hammerite. Picked up a new tap in B+Q perfect fit.
Fixed rubber buffers on the metal straps between the plastic tank to stop any vibration and wear.  It was one of those on your back jobs trying to fit the hook on hangers but managed to get them on.  

Back to the top
That is so cooool :D

Love it!

I saw a crinkly peanut tomorrow
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.