Heres sundays progress, remainder of engine put together:

All parts out side:

Me cleaning driveshafts, dont want any grit in those:

Engine ready to be put into its new home:

Geez doing the fitting:

Engine in place:

New pads & discs:

Servo & wrong master cylinder on:

What doesn't kill me can only make me stronger.

Mk1 will be back.

Back to the top
Geez been doing alot by himself this week as its mostly electrical stuff to do, here's some pics.

Rad fitted, plus right master cylinder and vaious hoses tidied up and finished off, new vacum hose made and fitted, egr system binned and blanked off.

The nearly infamous geezer's box'o'pipe - it dosent matter how many pipes you remove from it it never gets any smaller and will usually contain at least one of the pipes you desperatley need.

Not bad considering he's never broken a polo so these pipes are all mk2 golf or corrado stuff. Cooling system filled with g12+ mix and tested for leaks, none so far.

Correct late mk2  valver master cylinder, just need to collect some brake fittings and make a few pipes up. Brake circuits traced and run into tee's ready for connection.  

Installing the looms, Geez cut out what we dont need from the old loom, wire's left in place ready to bridge over to the gt loom, should help to keep it a little neater.

ecu bracket made, painted and drying nicely.

Ecu bracket finished tonight and fitted up with the ecu, shown here fitted to Geez's mk1 as it was dark outside, raised section at rear is the mount for the ecu and fuel pump relays (seperate from main fuse box on gt polo looms ) and as from the pic will mount to heater motor shroud so i dont have to drill any hole in the leaky part of the scuttle area .

On call from tomorrow night and we are still waiting for the correct fuel hose to arrive so it maybe slow progress over the next week.

Mk1 will be back.

Back to the top
Small update, fuel hose has now arrived so we should be ready to crack on once Geez off call. Heres a few little jobs he's managed around a hectic week on call.

ecu tray transfered to my car .

Ecu and fuel pump relays fitted with velcro tape for easier removal should it be necessary.

Further on with the looms, Gt ones finished, some extensions required for the old loom.

Pretty much done, just cranking feed, fuel pump wires and the power to hook up. Also had to modifiy the temp gauge wiring as there'e nowhere for the old style sender to go, Geez soldered in a 90 spec temp sender plug, the gauge will be a little out but should still warn of impending doom.

All original loom and earthing finished with the head to coil pack.

All front brake pipes finished, there's a corroded rear pipe to change before it can be bled.

Mk1 will be back.

Back to the top
Great work guys 8) This car and engine are a perfect combo!

Back to the top
+1

This is excellent :D cool to see you using the injection system too. Any issues with using the original tank?

I wish I had a box o'pipe :(

Back to the top
Cheers both, cant wait, its nearly back where it belongs…..on the road.

Polo lift pump fits straight in as a direct replacement. Dont ask about the electrics as thats not my thing.

Mk1 will be back.

Back to the top
I went over yesterday & more progress was made.

2 bolts to secure throttlebody top hat.

Airbox was wedged in place….despite people saying it wont fit

Fuel pipes put in place

Then there was the moment of truth would my Schmidts fit with the new brakes….

JUST!!!

There were a couple of other bits like fit lift pump & wire it up but got no pics, and somethings I cant remember.

Went back up today and Geez had fitted the throttle cable & was sorting a bracket for the fuel pump & accumalator

Rear brake line changed

Lift pump wired

Bracket for the fuel pump & accumalator

And in place

Finally fuel filter from Polo 6n 16v I had spare fitted in engine bay, held in place with old coil bracket.

Geez done loads of little soldering jobs aswell and thats how it stands at the moment

Mk1 will be back.

Back to the top
Conversion almost complete. MOT fail on emissions & welding on the sill. Lots of head scratching, turned out the blue temp sensor & wiring was dead. £16 odd for sensor had the plug in the garage & £40 for welding = mot pass :D

Since the mot the exhaust has broke. On the positive side it means I can get rid of the coke can size supersprint for something more subtle.

Also still not got around to fitting the chip & afm but that'll be done soon as the exhaust sorted.

Mk1 will be back.

Back to the top
Well I thought I'd add a couple of quick pics, a small change:

Mk1 will be back.

Back to the top
Little update, got my campaign deflectors, grille badge, rear lights Ive had in the shed for ages, centrecaps on & new exhaust from Prospeed(thanks dad)

Mk1 will be back.

Back to the top
Pics no progress:

Mk1 will be back.

Back to the top
Fancy selling the old rear lenses

golf mk1 driver project

non sunroof

Back to the top
The smoked ones??

Mk1 will be back.

Back to the top
Yeah and i need an alternater  buddy

golf mk1 driver project

non sunroof

Back to the top
Fancy selling me that grill badge? aha

Cheers,
Jack

1983 Driver.

Back to the top
Really love this project ,nice to see a small block conversion done it makes it a bit special in my eyes and you have done such a great job.must be nice with a pepped up 1.3 and 5 speeder fitted. 20v turbos are great but this is a lovely up grade :D

Back to the top

Quackers said

Fancy selling me that grill badge? aha

Cheers,
Jack

No sorry, it was difficult to find.

Mk1 will be back.

Back to the top

baller said

Really love this project ,nice to see a small block conversion done it makes it a bit special in my eyes and you have done such a great job.must be nice with a pepped up 1.3 and 5 speeder fitted. 20v turbos are great but this is a lovely up grade :D

Thanks mate, cant take credit for conversion as Geezer done most of it but I resisted the urge to go big block. Im hoping to AFH it soon(1.4 16v) as its the best small block out there with cheap tax & I miss my old 6n.

Mk1 will be back.

Back to the top
Updates, front panel badly painted but it looks ok from a distance, schmidts back on & splitter fitted:

Mk1 will be back.

Back to the top
Updated pics, how it looks now:

Mk1 will be back.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.