Skip navigation

stretching tyres, whats brands best?

Back to the top

stretching tyres, whats brands best?

Chris what are you guys so bothered about if it's legal or insurance will cover you of your not even doing it yourself?

So many people run strecthed tyres and some tyres have a stretch capability that's within a safe limit

I HATE CAR & SCENE SNOBS

Back to the top

MK1QUINNY said

Chris what are you guys so bothered about if it's legal or insurance will cover you of your not even doing it yourself?

I asked the qn but I'm not bothered, I was just curious to know.

You could ask, why are people bothered to post when someone asks for technical help here, after all its not their car they're trying to fix, and they won't get the benefit of the performance or reliability etc. Point being, people post and ask questions and answer stuff on forums for a lot of different reasons.

MK1QUINNY said

So many people run strecthed tyres and some tyres have a stretch capability that's within a safe limit

That's interesting - do you have a list of the make/model and size of tyres, and the limits of what wheels they can be safely mounted on?

Back to the top
I do beleive he asked about what are good makes of tyres for stretching tyres not insurance cover and illegal or is it legal issues so pal get of your forum high horse and stop trying to always be smart arse

I HATE CAR & SCENE SNOBS

Back to the top

MK1QUINNY said

I do beleive he asked about what are good makes of tyres for stretching tyres not insurance cover and illegal or is it legal issues so pal get of your forum high horse and stop trying to always be smart arse

So staying on the right side of the law is being a smart arse?

If so, what's deliberately modifying your car for "looks", knowing full well that its less safe and quite possibly illegal?

EDIT - I was hoping we could have a reasonable discussion on this. You've touched upon an interesting point - some tyres have been developed which are designed to go onto wider rims, to create the "stretch" look quite safely and within manufacturer's guidelines. Its been posted about here before, dunno where the thread is. If you know of these makes/models, or can locate the thread - great - it helps the OP out. With these tyres, as far as insurance is concerned, its like any other wheel/tyre mod. Not telling insurance, or trying to mislead them, would I imagine be a bit dodgy should the worst happen etc. If you want to trade insults though….I'll have to decline.

Back to the top
When did the poster ever ask about the law or insurance, you presume that it's imprortant to the poster or do you feel it's a moral responsiblility you have there's many people outhere that don't declare all the mods to their cars it's just a fact me personnally I declare everything but I ain't going to preach to people they should do the same, and I replied firstly to the lads thread that Nanking tyres are not a great tyre
a toyo tyre would be much safer and would be better on the road rather than just a look which I would say is more relevant to his question than if it's illegal or insurance should know

I HATE CAR & SCENE SNOBS

Back to the top
paul was simply answering my questions about stretch tyres

Banner

Back to the top

MK1QUINNY said

When did the poster ever ask about the law or insurance, you presume that it's imprortant to the poster or do you feel it's a moral responsiblility you have there's many people outhere that don't declare all the mods to their cars it's just a fact me personnally I declare everything but I ain't going to preach to people they should do the same, and I replied firstly to the lads thread that Nanking tyres are not a great tyre
a toyo tyre would be much safer and would be better on the road rather than just a look which I would say is more relevant to his question than if it's illegal or insurance should know

I don't presume anything! I'm quite happy for anyone to do anything they like, so long as it doesn't adversely affect me - so no moral preaching comes from my posts.

Back on topic…..(lets not get into any arguments etc)………

There ARE tyres which have been designed and marketed to give the "stretch look", and at the same time mount on the rim of the wheel properly. I can't personally remember the makes/models, it was posted on here about 2 years ago, but a search on the appropriate terms should find it. So hopefully I've helped out the OP in a small way.

Back to the top
oh lets dig out the last stretched tyre thread iirc it was epic lol

there are no best tyres for stretching end of you strech a tyre at your own risk if tyres were designed for stretching then surely it would say ok for stretching on them like it says ok to do 140mph ect

i think paul has pretty much helped out here if the op goes for the stretch then its down to him to find the right tyre id hate to advise him of a particular tyre then find out a week later its fallen of his car

Back to the top
I think the bottom line is that extreme stretching is dangerous, one or 2 sizes is fine and is often done in motorsport, so as to give a straight or slightly inclined sidewall to combat excessive flex and rolling onto the sidewall during cornering.  Most people will say that 175/185 on a 6.5j (normally 195) is safe and the tyre is still seat correctly on the rim.  I've spoken to guys who have been doing tyres for years.

Coming from bikes, there are certain sizes of classic motorcycle tyre that only come from cheap far-eastern tyre companies and it's like riding on butter.  Common way round it is the nearest modern size.  I road my cx500 on what would in theory be a stretch of equivalent to about one or 2 standard car sizes without injury, and i really wasn't gentle on corners. handling was 4,000,000 times safer than on a slippery chen-shin it had on when i got it which was the only other option!!!!

I agree in car circles there are options and I agree that the laws of physics will not look kindly on a tyre that has been stretched past the point where the sidewall loses rigidity!  Remember that there is more to a tyre than the width. the way a stretch works is affected by the profile too, so wheras a 165/65-15 on a 6.5j wont be dangerously unstable, a 165/50-15 may well be.  It's all in the triangles!

1 or 2 sizes wont impact on insurance if you inform them.  Anymore than that and they'd probably say it was dangerous as has been said.

Jon.

Back to the top
I dont think you can easily compare with bikes, because they lean into the corner. Apart from that, agree 100%!!!

Back to the top
well car tyres deform in the same way, and a bike tyre takes a hell of a lot more stress out of the same design is my point.  If i can lean wholly on the edge of the tyre on the bike without it imploding then a small stretch is safe for most cars.

They tend to pop off at full lock with the front understeering, as it twists as well as pushes and theres no room for it to move like a standard fitment.  Triangles!!!! It's all in the triangles!!!!!!!

Pythagorus would be proud!!!! (Assuming it was him who ranted about triangles a lot. I could wiki it but i'm too lazy lol)

Jon.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.