Skip navigation

failed MOT on emissions

Back to the top

failed MOT on emissions

well i sent my citi for it's mot today and the only thing that it has failed on is the emissions.
so i need some help please.
i need to figure out a way to reduce them.

this is what the test results read.

fast idle: co max limit 0,3 actual value 1,212 fail
              hc max limit 200 actual value 248 fail
              lambda max limit 1,03 actual value 1,048 fail

second fast idle: co max limit 0,3 actual value 0,4 fail
                         hc max limit 200 actual value 97 pass
                         lambda max limit 1,03 actual value 1,853 fail

natural idle: co max limit 0,5 actual value 0,4

please any advice would be a grate help, tis was the last thing i needed to do befor the gathering

you know you wan't a citi

Back to the top
What year is the car? And what engine code (you might need to look on the V5 for this)?

Back to the top
it's a 96 on a p plate and gy engine code

Back to the top
go to a garage and have the emissions set up( around £5-£15 depending what the garage is like),
you need the probe up its tail pipe and adjusted on the carb, theres no way you can do this with a base setting as people say. it would be very hit and miss that way,

also it would inprove the mpg maybe not a huge differance but a carb running poorly uses more fuel

Back to the top
thanks mate for the davice, it'll be a shame if i cant meke it up because of this

Back to the top
well have a bash m8, but then if you get it right you save a couple of quid and if you don't you cost your self another ticket

Back to the top
Yep, it needs a cat test (well, its not a cat test, but its a tighter emissions standard than can be achieved without a cat). I imagine the car is a SA import and never came with a cat, and I bet it also has a carburettor - meaning that if a cat were fitted, then it would soon be junked by excess fuel etc.

There is an exemption. Rather than cut & paste, have a read of this:

http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/m4s07000301.htm

Oh, and good luck, I suspect you'll need it!

Back to the top
sorry what year and engine carb or injection as you said its a citi and not to fimilar with those

Back to the top

since_1983 said

go to a garage and have the emissions set up( around £5-£15 depending what the garage is like),
you need the probe up its tail pipe and adjusted on the carb, theres no way you can do this with a base setting as people say. it would be very hit and miss that way,

also it would inprove the mpg maybe not a huge differance but a carb running poorly uses more fuel

The setup isnt the issue here, those figures are quite alright for the car. The car's not right for the UK though!

Back to the top
i just wondered that hence my post just above i just relised we are talking about a citi

Back to the top
just read that link well a quick scan threw it, seems like you need a manifactors letter proving what the viechle is and stating the car needs to be tested under the old rules, if i was you i'd have a word with the mot tester for best line of attack on this one,  as paul c said suspect best of luck is needed

Back to the top
thanks for the help all.

the car is from sa, it's a 1,3 big block carb and gy engine code.

i had a word with the tester, but to be honest he was a little bit of an ass tho.

Back to the top

chazsa said

thanks for the help all.

the car is from sa, it's a 1,3 big block carb and gy engine code.

i had a word with the tester, but to be honest he was a little bit of an ass tho.

Yeah you need that letter off VW, and the tester needs to follow the manual.

Back to the top
do you think a letter with the owners club letterhead attached explaining about the car would do the trick ?

Back to the top

chazsa said

do you think a letter with the owners club letterhead attached explaining about the car would do the trick ?

No. The Mk1 Golf OC is NOT the manufacturer. VWSA are the manufacturer.

Back to the top
looks like the teter did a cat test,citis have no cat,a GY engine is a carb engine big block 1.3,
i test mine as a carb engine,like a later metro,no cat test needed,just a normal co test,max is 3% i think,mine runs 1.5% last time i moted it,
try another garage or ill mot it for you,
Bert

Thats not a rod knockin,its a diesel stupid! floppy top and 1 tin top

Back to the top
i spoke to a m8 tonight who's a tester,

the process is as follows i think

they test the cars emmisions if it fails they retest it with a full emmisions tests fails then they look the car up and test it to what is written down on system if its not noted/listed they then do the old stye (non cat test) emmisions tests

i might of got a little muddled but its on those lines

Back to the top
Tell the tester to do emissions under mk1 golf 83 1.5, 1.6 as same block basically only with yours you have a keihin carb.
Do you not know anyone who can do emissions for you in another garage as you state this guy sounds like a right one, basically not knowing what he is testing and making up his own rules which i believe he has tested it with a cat test due to year of car.
Had mine for 5 years now, yes confusing when you 1st own one, but you learn more about the car, it is a mk1 golf, clearly thte mot tester doesn't see them often thus no clue on what to and how to test it as he has no reason to learn about it merely on basis not many about.
If you can get to manchester any time depending where you are, bring here bud and i will get emisisons done for you fella, or if your near brum area top bloke here bert as one also he is a tester himself, i am sure he would help.
Pete

P.s just noticed bert's post, did not see it was 2 pages til i posted

Back to the top
well i've just been down to another garage today, and i told them all about the car and asked if they did another MOT for me could they test the emissions as an 85 mk1.
they said if i want that done i would have to go to the dvla in reading and get the car registered as an 85.

so i'm not having very much luck at all

Back to the top
You can't really blame them because they're following the rules to the letter, even though other testers give the "benefit of the doubt" and know that because its an import and doesn't have a cat, won't pass so assess it on the next lower emissions limit. If you have that letter from VWSA then any MoT test place will be able to pass it. I guess its just a case of trying different garages or getting the letter sorted out?

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.