Skip navigation

Meet Eleanor - Back from paint and assembled!

Back to the top

Meet Eleanor - Back from paint and assembled!

so glad to see this car is being fixed. i was worried the the last owner would break it  after the accident.  but grand work there mate!

Back to the top

whatalotafun said

so glad to see this car is being fixed. i was worried the the last owner would break it  after the accident.  but grand work there mate!

Thanks mate.

Going by what you said, i assume the previous owner was on here?

MK1 Golf - 1.3l Driver
MK1 Golf - 1.8 GTI (Build Thread - Here)

Back to the top
no, not on here.

Fendubbers, my local club

Back to the top
Ok, so been very busy this weekend.

I finally got the car back from paint yesterday, pretty happy with the job he done. Couple of little niggles but for the price i paid i am more then happy with the outcome. You would have to really be looking to notice the imperfections.

Below are a couple of photos when i got her back home, only took a couple as i was in a mad rush to go and see The Prodigy at MK Bowl  :D

Today i was up relatively early to crack on with the car. Had quite a bit of work to do. Replacing bumpers, indicators, side trim etc but managed to get most of it done. Had some issues with the wheels rubbing on the coily's so have had to raise them, not overly happy about it but had no choice if i wanted to use it! I have used 3mm spacers and they still rubbed, dont really wanna use any larger spacers  :?

Anyway, here are some photos of throughout the day, and how it looks at the end of the day. Really pleased with the results, but alot more that still needs to be done.

Comments welcome!

Just having a few issues with the rears since putting them on. They clear easy and are nowhere near rubbing, but when i drive i get a constant tapping type noise, and only on the rears. Anyone have any ideas? I have new wheels, tyres, wheel bolts, spigot rings etc. Really cant work it out!

Suggestions very welcome.

Plans next are to finally sort out the oil leaking engine to make her purr again…

MK1 Golf - 1.3l Driver

Back to the top
Wow such a quick turnaround! I've had mine for a week or so longer than you and I've done nothing with the body or paintwork yet.. given me a bit of motivation to crack on with mine!

Top job!

Wanted: Front Bumper, DESPERATELY NEED A DRIVERS WING!

MY Build Thread

My Facebook Build Page #Project83

Back to the top

Alfie said

Wow such a quick turnaround! I've had mine for a week or so longer than you and I've done nothing with the body or paintwork yet.. given me a bit of motivation to crack on with mine!

Top job!

Cheers mate.

Tbh i have had the money there from selling my MR2 and i need it as a daily drive so had to get it done, or it would of taken me an age!

I will be doing the cambelt in the week so hope thats an easy job!

You will get yours done mate, if you dont need to, dont rush.

MK1 Golf - 1.3l Driver

Back to the top
Top Work in such little time fella! Looks great and that wheel colour wheel combo is stunning...Good effort!

Back to the top

MileymanB said

Top Work in such little time fella! Looks great and that wheel colour wheel combo is stunning…Good effort!

Thanks mate, really the the wheels/colour myself also. I want it to sit lower but not really too sure how to go about the suspension issue.

MK1 Golf - 1.3l Driver

Back to the top
just having a few issues with the rears since putting them on. They clear easy and are nowhere near rubbing, but when i drive i get a constant tapping type noise, and only on the rears. Anyone have any ideas? I have new wheels, tyres, wheel bolts, spigot rings etc. Really cant work it out!

Hello bud, car looks great, that tapping noise wouldn't be a wheel balancing weight on the inner lip of the rim by any chance??

i had a similar problem on my mk2!!

i'll have to pop over and have a look.

Back to the top

79-85 said

just having a few issues with the rears since putting them on. They clear easy and are nowhere near rubbing, but when i drive i get a constant tapping type noise, and only on the rears. Anyone have any ideas? I have new wheels, tyres, wheel bolts, spigot rings etc. Really cant work it out!

Hello bud, car looks great, that tapping noise wouldn't be a wheel balancing weight on the inner lip of the rim by any chance??

i had a similar problem on my mk2!!

i'll have to pop over and have a look.

Hello mate. Tbh i have no idea, i havent really had a look into it. Would be cool if you could pop over or i pop to you after work one evening seens i work in Sittingbourne?

Did you call yesterday? I had a missed call from a 01795 number but dont have your house phone saved and was in the middle of doing the car so missed it, didnt wanna call it not knowing who it was.

MK1 Golf - 1.3l Driver

Back to the top
yeah pop over one night in the week,  may of called accidently. drop me a line when you want to pop over..

Back to the top
nice looking car matey, just a couple of questions, what rims you rollin on? they suit the colour perfectly..and where did you get such mint condition bumpers, mine have faded to that nasty plastic grey, and id rather get some better ones than set about sprayin them matt black

This is not a good town for psychedelic drugs

Back to the top

haynesheadache said

nice looking car matey, just a couple of questions, what rims you rollin on? they suit the colour perfectly..and where did you get such mint condition bumpers, mine have faded to that nasty plastic grey, and id rather get some better ones than set about sprayin them matt black

Hi mate.

Rims are Lenso BSX's in Silver, basically BBS copies as the real ones are too expensive - Lenso Wheels

Bumpers are brand new, no original parts but pretty good fit and not very expensive - Bumpers

Hope that helps  :D

MK1 Golf - 1.3l Driver

Back to the top
awesome to see this was brought back.
shame what happened to it in the first place though.

awesome job

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top
looks great good work chap

Back to the top

wannabemk1owner said

Just having a few issues with the rears since putting them on. They clear easy and are nowhere near rubbing, but when i drive i get a constant tapping type noise, and only on the rears. Anyone have any ideas? I have new wheels, tyres, wheel bolts, spigot rings etc. Really cant work it out!

If you're running drums on the rear, check that the new wheel bolts aren't fractionally longer. They could be slightly catching on the shoes!

Not that I've ever done anything like that :redfaced:

Back to the top
Great job you done on the repairs fella

She looks loads better with bumpers and nice shiny rims

92 caddy, Now stripped for full rebuild
83 golf gti R1 carbed 16v(soon to have 1.8T)
07 Leon FR TDI daily

Cambridgeshire regional host

Back to the top
Just had a thought about your rear wheel tapping, could it be that the wheel bolts are protruding into
rear drums and just catching one of the shoes/springs/slave cylinder ??

Just a thought, had that on my driver when someone fitted some 9 spokes with the original wheel bolts ( wrong ! ! )  :)

EDIT - someone else has already suggested this… :D

Real golfers don't play with clubs

Back to the top
Thats a stunning colour. Looks great top work, personally not a fan of Lenso's though.

What doesn't kill me can only make me stronger.

Mk1 will be back.

Back to the top
That look's sweet :) I want lol

I was thinking of filling the seam between the rear panel and side panels like you have done…I have decided it would be a good idea lol. Looks real nice

\'Check Your Nuts!\'  My partner has just been through an operation and chemotherapy for Testicular Cancer and is only 29. He had no lump or pain, just became swollen… If in doubt, get to the doctor!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.