Skip navigation

Meet Eleanor - Back from paint and assembled!

Back to the top

Meet Eleanor - Back from paint and assembled!

Hi

I am new to this forum, in fact new to the whole VW scene all together. My background is Toyota MR2's having owned them for the last couple of years, and been grately involved in the club scene. I have owned both the normal aspirated and Turbo models.

Now to cut a long story short, although loving the world of MR2's, they are costing me a small fortune, both in maintenance and fuel so i have had to look elsewhere for my fun. I have always been a fan of the VW scene, and love the passion some owners have for the brand itself and love what people do to them. As i couldnt really see my self driving a 'normal' car, i thought i would see if i could lay my hands on a cheap VW to tinker with. I finally drew conclusion that i wanted a MK1 Golf as i love the retro look to them, so set about looking for a cheap 'doer upper' but one that is also driveable.

After to be honest, not that long i found a car that had been hit at the rear quarter, and pushed into a post. Going by what the advert said, it was all cosmetic. So today i set off with my brother in law and better half - the driver, to take a look. When i got there i saw the damage was as advised only cosmetic, but there were a few other issues with an oil leak and some rust in the spare wheel well. So after a bit of haggling, i drove away in a nice MK1 1.3 driver in blue.

The car isnt perfect, but other then the dents it is structually sound - i think. The worse bit is the interior as it is a bit mix and match but i can sort that once the outside is sorted.

Anyway, i am proud of my little eco runabout, and what will turn into hopefully an exciting project, so keep your eyes peeled.

I dont think there is too much else for me to say now, other then meet Eleanor…

This weekend the bodywork starts  :D

MK1 Golf - 1.3l Driver
MK1 Golf - 1.8 GTI (Build Thread - Here)

Back to the top
Saw this when it was for sale, interesting colour...good luck with the work!

Back to the top

MileymanB said

Saw this when it was for sale, interesting colour…good luck with the work!

Thank you. Tbh i really like the colour, and i think that is what drew me to the car in the first place.

There is alot of work that needs doing, i just cant wait to get stuck in!  :D

MK1 Golf - 1.3l Driver

Back to the top
looks alright mate few dents but nothing that cant be sorted. :wink: is it a tt interior? likeing the black tirantulas  not sure about the rat looking rope n v-dub badge but its early days eh? lol

What you got planned for it fella?

1.3 Driver - 1.8t in progress
http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=56551

Daily driver : e36 325 tdi se / slammed on konis and bbs rco401's
Daily offroader : discovery 1 6" lift monster :D

Back to the top

ebo said

looks alright mate few dents but nothing that cant be sorted. :wink: is it a tt interior? likeing the black tirantulas  not sure about the rat looking rope n v-dub badge but its early days eh? lol

What you got planned for it fella?

I am going to have a go with the dents this weekend, so i will post progress pictures as i go. The guy had leather front seats in it, but has removed them and put some other ill matching front seats in. I am looking at replacing it all in the near future though.

Well my plans were to leave it low and change the wheels and have it as a bit of a rat, obviously with the dents repaired. My plans have now changed after looking at some of the cars on here! I am going to tidy the exterior, put the bumpers back on, healight conversion and lowered on BBS alloys - or maybe copies depending on funds! I want it to be a bit of an original show car, and can see myself spending alot more money then intended as i have kinda fallen in love with her!  :redfaced:

MK1 Golf - 1.3l Driver

Back to the top
good for you fella :) welcome to the site.

everyone who thinks rat eventually goes over to doing it properly :) even me! lol

it will look good when its done mate.
stick at it tho :) the rewards are great!

booze and boredom, the greatest mix :)

Back to the top
i can see why you liked the colour Dave, looks nice. think once you have the bumpers back on and the body straight it'll look great.
i'll probably pop over on wednesday night to give her the once over!! :wink:
i'll give you a call tomorrow.

Back to the top

79-85 said

i can see why you liked the colour Dave, looks nice. think once you have the bumpers back on and the body straight it'll look great.
i'll probably pop over on wednesday night to give her the once over!! :wink:
i'll give you a call tomorrow.

Cheers Simon, and thanks for giving me a hand over the phone whilst you was on your fishing trip.

I have screwed up the days mate, i wont be around Wednesday as someone is meant to be collect the MR2 then and i have got to drive to Stansted to pick him up at 6.30pm, then the cinema. When else are you about mate?

MK1 Golf - 1.3l Driver

Back to the top
i'll give you a call tomorrow bud,

Back to the top
Hi all

Been out working on the MK1 today, first time since i bought her last weekend.

Dad kindly pulled and pushed the dents out in the week, along with fitting the new bonnet so that side of things was already done but both Dad and I worked on it today and started filling the imperfections. Hopefully they will be finished tomorrow so i can take it to the bodyshop Tuesday for spraying.

Before:

After:

MK1 Golf - 1.3l Driver

Back to the top
Further update on the bodywork!

Following Saturdays progress, i spent another whole day out in the sun finishing the bodywork off. I have now done front valance, rear panel, rear quarter and also decided to do both arches as they had rust spots coming through. I have got to put some stopper putty in tonight to hide some small imperfections from the filler but the car should be ready for paint and in the bodyshop for tomorrow! I cant wait!  :dance:

Next update should be after paint!

MK1 Golf - 1.3l Driver

Back to the top
looks like you have done a real smart job well done :)

Back to the top

Dubwanabe said

looks like you have done a real smart job well done :)

Thanks mate. Seems to be coming along nice. Going into paint this evening and will have it back for the weekend to start assembly  :D

MK1 Golf - 1.3l Driver

Back to the top
nice work!

Back to the top
any update chap!!

Back to the top
Hey dude, cracking job, really good to see a decent front panel repair!

I find its always best to try and repair the original panels if you can as most replacements are usually made of inferior metals and rust out more easily!

Don't suppose you have any more pics whilst the panel was being beaten out? Hoping to get my front panel beaten out too soon.

My car suffered a bit of the same as yours (and like yours, mine was done by someone else!)

Keep the updates coming!

Wanted: Front Bumper, DESPERATELY NEED A DRIVERS WING!

MY Build Thread

My Facebook Build Page #Project83

Back to the top

79-85 said

any update chap!!

Hi Simon.

Not really alot to report at the moment. Bodywork is repaired and it's currently in the bodyshop for paint. Due to get it back Saturday morning. I have new bumpers, indicators etc and a new set of wheels already to go on when I get her back :)

How is yours coming along?

MK1 Golf - 1.3l Driver

Back to the top
not done anything else, just bought a new vag front panel, vag bonnet and s vag wing, all new and unused, which will be collected today,need to find a vag drivers wing and 2 decent doors, and i have every thing for the body shop got a new starter, just waiting for delivery on that, then all i need is an injector sleeve, to get her running again., so next week end she'll  be up and running.

Back to the top

79-85 said

not done anything else, just bought a new vag front panel, vag bonnet and s vag wing, all new and unused, which will be collected today,need to find a vag drivers wing and 2 decent doors, and i have every thing for the body shop got a new starter, just waiting for delivery on that, then all i need is an injector sleeve, to get her running again., so next week end she'll  be up and running.

Top work mate, will have to pop round to have a look at it, i also want to come and have a look at your wiring also as the guy who previosuly owned mine has cut into some of the wires for some unknown reason!

MK1 Golf - 1.3l Driver

Back to the top

Alfie said

Hey dude, cracking job, really good to see a decent front panel repair!

I find its always best to try and repair the original panels if you can as most replacements are usually made of inferior metals and rust out more easily!

Don't suppose you have any more pics whilst the panel was being beaten out? Hoping to get my front panel beaten out too soon.

My car suffered a bit of the same as yours (and like yours, mine was done by someone else!)

Keep the updates coming!

Hi mate, thanks for the compliments. I will take some of the credit but most of the panel work has to go to my dad!

To be honest from what i know the front panel wasnt that hard to do, although instead of beating/hammering the dents out my dad jacked the dents out. By this i mean he used a block of wood inside the bay as a wedge and used a scissor jack on its side to 'push/jack' the dents out. Its a cleaner repair as it pops the dents back into their original position, so after you only need to fill the slight imperfections.

Unfortunately i dont have any pictures of this process but at the weekend i will take a pic of my engine bay and try and draw a diagram of how it was done.

Cheers

David

MK1 Golf - 1.3l Driver
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.