Skip navigation

Mars Red 81 - undoing of trackcar

Back to the top

Mars Red 81 - undoing of trackcar

Last week i went through all the wiring and put it in.  I soldered all joins in the engine bay that i had to but have temporarily done the joins near the fusebox in case i did it wrong.

My new 22mm brake master cylinder arrived so i fit that this week.

I also swapped the fuel lines over for the Mk3 ones.  I wasn't happy with the original metal ones being bent and how to secure them so it was easier to use the Mk3 ones.  I tried starting it, and it turned over but that was it.  I then checked the fuel supply but had nothing at the injector rail.  I disconnected the pipe from the pump and tried it again and it was squirting out of the fuel pump.  So re-connected it and it finally had fuel at the rail, i must have not connected it right the 1st time.  I then check and had no spark.

I went upto Cardiff on Thursday because the wife had an exam up there. While she did that i went to the scrappy and managed to get a MK2 coil. Also bought a set of leads and they were waiting for me when i got home today.

I fit the coil and lead and tried to start the car but still nothing. Changed one of the wires on the fusebox as i had no spark and the engine started but died after a second. Immobiliser?

I plugged in VAG.com and it had an immobiliser fault code as i thoght it would as i'd read this lots of times from other people having problems. I checked everything but it still wouldn't start, so i posted a question pon here.

Whilst waiting for a reply i unplugged the 2 plugs into the immobiliser box and plugged them back in.
I then positioned the key in the ignition ring slightly differently as it isn't fit properly yet and …………….

Back to the top
always nice getting it running for the first time.

Back to the top
i love it :)

Back to the top

GaryGTi83 said

i love it :)

Like the look of yours too, maybe carbs on the next one  :lol:

I trial fitted one of the 15" wheels i got as a spare set yesterday to run in winter.  It fits nicely under the arch but is rubbing on the suspension strut.

They are 15x6.5 with 195/50/15 tyyres on but ET40.  They have a centre bore of 72mm as well!  I didn't find all this out until i got them home, but they were cheap so not too bothered.
I've ordered some spigot rings and have some 10mm spacers so hopefully that'll do the trick.  Nice to see slightly wider wheels on it though.

Back to the top
I haven't updated this for ages so thought i would.  

Filled the car with coolant and ran it and the fan kicked in once the pipes got hot, so i must have fit the new thermostat ok, and wired the fan up ok too :D

But, there was an oil leak which the donor car didn't have! I checked by removing the cambelt cover and it was leaking from the rocker gasket which i had replaced  :redfaced:

So off with the rocker cover

It was a combination of the blue half moon seal and the gasket not seating properly, so i gave it a good clean and re-fitted it. I'm not sure if it's right but i used some gasket seal in the recess that the half moon sits and haven't had a problem since putting it all back together and getting it up to temperature.

After that i came to a grounding halt due to the wheels and brakes.

I had another look at the wheels and they are 15x6.5 Et35 with 195/50/15 tyres. Without the spacers on they rub on the suspension struts. With the 15mm spacers i have they sit as below, with differing amounts of camber. If they both were setup like the passenger side i'd be getting bad wear on the inside of the tyres wouldn't i? I can get away with 10mm spacers on the front as i have 2x 5mm spacers that i tried on one side, but they'll poke out from the arches too much unless i sort the camber.

Everything else has been done. All wiring works, reverse lights, brakes (i have a late cabby pedal switch for the brakes) the immobiliser works a treat. I have removed the very small chip inside the key. The ring that senses the chip is really sensitive to where it is!

Here is one last picture of it sitting there just raring to go.

Back to the top
After all this i managed to sort the wheel problem. The set of cheap wheels I put on consisted of 2x et35 and 2x et40. I had one of each on the front so making the problem impossible to fix. Swapped them all around so I have the et35 at the front and adjusted the camber slightly and all is good!

The car is booked in for it's mot on Monday   :pray:  :D  , the garage are going to check my brakes as I'm still not completely happy with them.

Back to the top
Great thread fella! Been following and has inspired me to get cracking on mine! plus sick of the sight of the battered mk3 taking up space on my drive  :lol:

Good luck with the MOT!

Back to the top

Time for a drive tonight to see how it goes

:mrgreen:  :D  :D
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.