Skip navigation

1.1 carb help

Back to the top

1.1 carb help

that'd be my leg lmao! which incidentally is out of cast and i'm back driving the golf again thank god!!!

not going to make the agm though coz my #4 cylinder has a minor ring problem and i'm losing too much oil to do a cross country trip.

Unless another plan works out before then lol.

Oh and sorry to high jack the thread sedge!!!

should all 1.1's have the vac tanks for the inlet flap then as mine hasn't? if it's needed I'll have to get one!!!

Jon.

Back to the top
haha i knew it was one of the regulars :p

i don't think they do… I didn't have a vac tank on mine and mine hasn't been touched under the bonnet… Unless some have. I forgot to take the pics lol… Bummer..

booze and boredom, the greatest mix :)

Back to the top
Haha no worries crowson :) swapped the vac lines round this morning then and its running a bit better cheers mixerman :) pretty sure the gasket is leaking between the manifold n carb. :( Ross off here who's a mobile mechanic is coming to have a look tomoz daytime hopefully :)

Back to the top
Looks like you guys have got it all covered but I thought I would just say your first picture of the pipe on the back of your carb looks like the one on my 1978 1.1cc. On mine that pipe comes out from the same place yours is and loops round to the auto choke (that square metal block thing to the left of it). This is what operates the diaphragm in my auto choke.

Do you have an auto choke?

Back to the top
Mines a manual choke, but cheers for the message cleef. Think its pretty much sorted now just gotta replace the leaking gasket between the carb n manifold then should be running sweet :)

Back to the top
Cool. Glad you've got it fixed!  :D

Back to the top
hi cleef, that pipe is present on his carb but your looking at the wrong place, that is for when you have the choke on and you press the throttle the vac from that hose pulls the choke open for a normal fueling under load.

the pipe hes showing on the back of the carb is for the warm air feed, which he doesn't use as hes using an after market air filter. :)
all 1.1 engines with a solex carb had manual choke… infact i think all small blocks had manual choke..

might be wrong tho :)

Back to the top
I think they must of done some with a auto choke because i'm sure the haynes manual ive got mentions a auto choke on some carbs n ive just got the 1.1 n 1.3 tintop haynes manual

Back to the top
hmm i do too but i never looked :P

just learned the bits form the bible i needed :P

Back to the top
Hi Mixerman,

I would normally bow to your greater expertise but that's not the case here. I can assure you my 1978 1.1cc has an auto choke - gave me a bit of grief at first until I set it just right now it works a treat…had to set the choke gap with a drill bit. :)

I'll show at the club meet if you're going.

Cheers

Back to the top
lol ahh right i stand corrected my friend :)

thats a series 1 isnt it?

i would love to have a poke round :P i love old carbs… which is odd for a 22 year old… HAHA

what make carb is that on there then? its not the solex is it?
i have a vac hose going from the bottom to a disc on the side, i assumed you meant that thingy :)

Back to the top
No problem. I just knew I had an auto choke!  :)

You're right, it is a series 1

It's not odd to like this stuff. If it is I've been odd for years  :wink:

It is the Solex carb yes. They get a lot of unfair press on here and I feel too many people want to swap out the carb maybe prematurely to correct running problems. I stuck with mine - tweaked it here and there, listened, then tweaked it again. It now runs like a dream.

My hose goes from the bottom of the carb round to a square block which sits against the disc. Inside the square block is a diaphragm which, as it moves in and out, operates the auto choke.

It takes a while to set it correctly and in cold, wet weather it may need a further tweak but touch wood (taps own head) it's been really good for a while.

Back to the top
hmm that sounds familiar to what i have but i have a choke also… im actually looking forward to seeing it now :P

only a few days left an we can compare carbs…. HAHAHA

i can see sedge has a manual choke as he has the choke cable on the right of the carb but now you have intrigued me lol.

well, looking forward to meeting you cleef :) look out for the ratty, half done, bumperless series 2… i hope ill be the only one thats in this bad of a state :P

im sure you will spot me :P

Back to the top
Cheers. Will do.

I'll be there on the Sunday in this:

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.