Skip navigation

Stretch Tyres what PSI and 1 leaking

Back to the top

Stretch Tyres what PSI and 1 leaking

i have 40psi in all wheels fitted today and drove about 5miles before pulled over to check all ok and rear passenger left was down to 10psi and still hissing out air
its leaking between bead and rim they were all pumped to 70psi and left over night to help sit them properly. have pumped wheel up and at about 60psi no air leek but cant run them that high?

whats best way to stop leak?

and what is a good psi for them all to be at?

Back to the top
streched tyres = your gong to die lol

30psi is the best pressure by putting 70psi in your just going to ruin the tyre the reason its leaking is because its the wrong tyre for the wheel

sorry i cant be any more help other than telling you your tyres are going to fall off lol

Back to the top
What size wheels and what size tyres are they?

Using narrower wheels with the tyre size, will firstly allow the wheel to sit within the bodywork of the car (so its not illegal) and secondly operate within the fitting size range of the tyre, making fitment easier and allowing the easy application of bead seal before its fitted.

It might be that those tyres are too wide anyway, so need to be slightly narrower.

Back to the top
I've said this a few times before, PRESSURE IS PRESSURE no matter what volume you have 30psi is 30psi. It bears the same load just takes a bit more air to achieve!!!!!

So as a result, no matter what size of wheel/tyre you fit, (unless the manufacturer has stated otherwise as some different compounds of rubber use dif pressures to aid warming up etc,) you should always use the factory given pressures.  

The leak you have is most likely due to a defect in the rim, i.e a bit of rough paint/powdercoat or corrosion etc.  The stretch itself wont cause a leak if they were done properly.

The best way to test is a bowl of soapy water and a syringe. whip the wheel off, fill the edge of the rim with the water and look for the bubbles. then flip it and check for them again.  Mate had this with a mini, turns out the tyre fitter had left some stickers on the tyres and they were stopping the tyre seating properly.

Jon.

Back to the top

Crowson_punk said

The leak you have is most likely due to a defect in the rim, i.e a bit of rough paint/powdercoat or corrosion etc.  The stretch itself wont cause a leak if they were done properly.

The leak is most likely because bead sealant wasn't used. Yes its possible to get no leaks simply with a tyre & wheel, but it needs a very smooth (almost new) rim and typically tyre fitters use the sealant because they fit tyres to rims which aren't new, etc.

Back to the top

Tyres

Hi

I am running the same MIM wheel and would like to fit stretched tyres so I can lower the car more with no rubbing.
Which size and make tyre have you used as they look good.

Back to the top
Hi

Unfortunately i cant help with your problem. But was wondering the size of your wheels, offsets etc and what tyres you are using. Any spacers?

This is the exact look i am after!

Cheers

David

MK1 Golf - 1.3l Driver
MK1 Golf - 1.8 GTI (Build Thread - Here)

Back to the top
BlackonBlack and wannabemk1owner, it won't look that great if the air is unable to stay in the tyre. Having said that, it would only be flat at the bottom.

Back to the top
Fitting a stretched tyre to avoid rubbing is a bit silly when the correct sized rim for that tyre wouldnt rub either.

Back to the top
i had this issue once paul i had a tyre which no matter what i did was flat at the bottom never the top odd

Back to the top

abfmk1 said

Fitting a stretched tyre to avoid rubbing is a bit silly when the correct sized rim for that tyre wouldnt rub either.

Yeah but (apparently) fitting the correct tyre to the correct rim, just doesn't look good!!! Strange world, huh.

Back to the top
I assume people frown on stretched tyres then? I dont want to go silly, just like the look of them and the way they look on the car?  :?

MK1 Golf - 1.3l Driver

Back to the top
TBH I don't care, if its not on my car. Stretch tyres won't be going anywhere near mine, mainly for the reason abfmk1 gave - you can fit the tyre to the correct wheel and avoid all the safety issues. But, its your car, etc etc.

Why do you think something which looks obviously wrong and has safety implications, looks good? What's so wrong about the "look" of a correctly sized tyre on a correctly sized wheel?

Back to the top
just to throw a bit into the mix… has anyone had any actual problems with stretched tyres coming off the rims?

i have read LOADS of people say how they shouldn't do it cos its dangerous but i read on a police site once that they havnt actually had an incident where the stretch was to blame..

just food for thought :)

ps, i kinda like the stretch look :P done alot of research on it myself but not gonna delve any deeper lol :P

booze and boredom, the greatest mix :)

Back to the top
Ok, so does anyone know what size wheels, tyres and offsets would be required to have the wheel sit like that but without stretched tyres?

MK1 Golf - 1.3l Driver

Back to the top

mixerman said

just to throw a bit into the mix… has anyone had any actual problems with stretched tyres coming off the rims?

That's a good point. The actual safety isn't quantified. The problem is that tyre manufacturers quote a range of wheel rim widths deemed acceptable to mount a particular size tyre on. If you go against tyre manufacturer's guidelines, then it opens the door to "DANGEROUS" interpretation according to law (Construction and Use regs).

The main problem is the bead simply cannot sit properly in the tyre rim, due to the geometry of the two items (which allows fitting in normal circumstances) being wrong due to the stretch of the sidewall.

Remember though, that the grip level of a tyre is from the tread contact with the road, not from the width of the rim its mounted to. So its easy to see that it cannot be any SAFER.

If you do a search, there's plenty of other threads on it. On one of them, web links were made to the EU regs, which definatively proved it was illegal.

Back to the top
if you go on ed38 and do a search you will find alot of cases of the tyre popping of the rim due to the conquest for that extra scene point

i can see why people do it so they fit in

hell ive got a 20vt in my car but how many 20vt mk1s have a towbar? lol

its all down to the personal preference if you want strech them do it but remember its your choice search for the facts and make your own mind up dont follow the croud

Back to the top
i would say it does depend on the amount of stretch.

i'm happy to go a couple of sizes down but no more, i.e 165 on a 6j rim, but not much more.

it also depends on the profile.  the taller the profile the less chance of them coming off. it's coz people try to go too low, i.e 165/50/15 on a 7j rim, which means there isn't much space before you hit the rim.  there was a formula going around at one point, which worked out the best tyre for performance.

It worked by working out the triangulation of the stretch, to find the point where structural integrity/wall rigidity were balanced. That way the tyre didn't collapse and the sidewall had enough give not to pop off.

Tbf it was close to 2 sizes and 1 profile higher i think, i.e

original 195/50-15, safest stretch was 165/55(or 60)-15

so i small stretch. the rise in sidewall height is what most people ignore.

Jon.

Back to the top
So can anyone tell me the offset or width wheel required to have them sit flush to the arch?

MK1 Golf - 1.3l Driver

Back to the top
Losing air indicates that the bead's not seated properly. I chanced upon this earlier today, clarifies things particularly the quotes from Toyo and Dunlop.

http://forums.motester.co.uk/forum3/1487.html

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.