Skip navigation

GLi 1979 infomation

Back to the top

GLi 1979 infomation

Im with you paul, didnt think GLi`s were made in tin top form…….
the cabriolet in the uk had 1.6 and later the 1.8 (which my GLi has) but
I have no knowledge of any tin tops with a GLi badge?, maybe
wrong as I dont have any brochures for overseas sales etc……….

Dib.

Golf MK1 GLi Golf MK2 GTi Golf MK3 GTi Galaxy 2.3 Ghia X Seat Inca 1.9 Diesel Tomorrow is almost over, today went by so fast The only thing to look forward too is the past.

Back to the top
The GTi's and GLi's were not available for sale here in Australia.

The car is 100% a original K-jet engine. It has got all original holes for fuel lines etc…

I don't know if it helps or not…buy here is some pics.

Back to the top

oz_79GTi said

dubboy said

Someone put a GLi badge on it? You would need the production codes from the sticker to confirm original spec

Where can I find the production codes from?

For 1979 cars, the sticker is in the owners handbook.

That is the only way to tell the originality of your car. The rest is just guesswork (reshells, modifications, etc).

What makes you think it is a GLi?

Banner

Back to the top

dubboy said

oz_79GTi said

dubboy said

Someone put a GLi badge on it? You would need the production codes from the sticker to confirm original spec

That is the only way to tell the originality of your car. The rest is just guesswork (reshells, modifications, etc).

Unfortunately I never receive the log book of the car.

I've been told by other people that it is a GLi judging by the interiour and white headlining.

What are your guesses on it? What models came witha kjet and tintop.

Back to the top
In the UK…..only the Golf GTI and Jetta GLi, for mk1 tintop cars.

In other countries, GLi trim - unsure????

Back to the top

oz_79GTi said

dubboy said

oz_79GTi said

dubboy said

I've been told by other people that it is a GLi judging by the interiour and white headlining.

It's difficult to say without a production sticker or better pictures of specific areas. It could just be a reshell for example. When cars get this old, the chances of modification/meddling in the past is quite high.

A1 chassis with K-Jet are Golf/Scirocco/Jetta/Golf Cabrio/Caddy/Rabbit/Fox/Caribe. The models are country specific - for example you can have a Rabbit L/Golf GLi/Caddy Sport/Golf Trophy/Golf GTi 16S all running K-Jet.

Banner

Back to the top

dubboy said

oz_79GTi said

dubboy said

oz_79GTi said

dubboy said

It's difficult to say without a production sticker or better pictures of specific areas. It could just be a reshell for example. When cars get this old, the chances of modification/meddling in the past is quite high.

A1 chassis with K-Jet are Golf/Scirocco/Jetta/Golf Cabrio/Caddy/Rabbit/Fox/Caribe. The models are country specific - for example you can have a Rabbit L/Golf GLi/Caddy Sport/Golf Trophy/Golf GTi 16S all running K-Jet.

I understand what you are saying.

What areas would you need photos of so I can get them to you? I've got a few more of vincodes etc…

Back to the top

engine out…upgrading.

Would this answer some questions?

Back to the top
Not really, you need the production sticker.

You have a post '81 radiatior and expansion tank though, hence the cable ties!

Banner

Back to the top

dubboy said

Not really, you need the production sticker.

You have a post '81 radiatior and expansion tank though, hence the cable ties!

Damn!

Ill try hunt it down for you.  8)

Back to the top
Just to add i had a Mk1 Jetta Gli 1981 5 speed back in '83 lovely car except that it didn't have electronic ignition ( points as per Beetle) and when they closed up the performance really droped off, the car basically was a GTI with a GL interior therefore no sport seats only armchairs but never the less a great car for its time and very fast compared to the 1303s i owned prior to it

Back to the top
Yes, there great cars. Even the 1.6 heron motor with a 288 cam went brilliant and was a bit grumpy after 4500rpm!

But yeah, your quite correct, its basically a GTi without the interiour.

Back to the top

oz_79GTi said

dubboy said

oz_79GTi said

dubboy said

not sure how they can come to that conclusion, the door cards don't look correct for a 79, the seats look like they might be s1 but it's hard to be sure.  my guess would be this is a GTi who's had a completely new (and incorrect) interior.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.