Skip navigation

GLi 1979 infomation

Back to the top

GLi 1979 infomation

Hi Guys.

I have a 1979 GLi 2door. ( not cab) 1.6kjet
I have not seen many of these around and buy the looks of it, it looks like it is rare! ( is it?)
How many GLi 2doors were actually built?

Also, what is the difference between a GLi and GTi? The GLi has the same engine codes etc. I know that the interior and a few other bit's and pieces are different from a GTi, but if the differences was replaced with GTi parts would it mean that it is a GTi?

Thank you in advance!

:D

Back to the top
Hi, I think that you may have a rare beast. Assuming it is right hand drive and somebody has not just changed the badge.

I believe that you may have an import previously owned by a serviceman stationed in Germany. Probably supplied via the NAAFI from VW.

My first Golf was a right hand drive 77 silver 2 door 1.6 GLS with a internal black trim. None of which were available in UK, the GLS was always 4 door and silver came with a blue trim.

As an extreme, it was possible in Germany to have a base car with a more powerful engine, i.e. a Golf S, or high spec trim with a low spec engine.

Where as engines in UK were specified with the level of trim of the car, Golf N, L, LS, GLS.

Back to the top
Agreed. Mine is a GLS and its a 5dr so you might be on to an imported gem there.

Back to the top
Malcolm, the car was actually converted from LHD to RHD. I don't know were it was done, but it looks like a good job. It was also fitted with a S2 dash, assuming it had a S1 dash originally.

So anyone know any facts about this car? I'm very curious.  :P

Back to the top
With the exception of being supplied from the NAAFI, my reasoning still applies.

Quite clearly the car was supplied to the German or european market before import to the UK / conversion to right hand drive.

If you go on the DVLA Website, you might see when it was first registered / imported into the UK.

My 77 Golf was not registered until Dec 80 when I returned and imported it into the UK.

Like you, I wonder what has happened to DOT411W, note it should have been an "R" registration.

Link to my fist love: http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=46498&highlight=

Back to the top
looks like dot411w is now black

Date of Liability  01 12 1993  
Date of First Registration  23 12 1980  
Year of Manufacture  1977  
Cylinder Capacity (cc)  1588CC  
CO2 Emissions  Not Available  
Fuel Type  Petrol  
Export Marker  Not Applicable  
Vehicle Status  Unlicensed  
Vehicle Colour  BLACK

Ever growing range of new mk1 golf parts www.classic-vw.co.uk

Back to the top
Funk-star, I am gutted, how could they?

OK, I did know, I think the year of liability means it's gone. I assume if it was SORN'd it would say so.

Back to the top
yea i would guess at it being a bean can now

Ever growing range of new mk1 golf parts www.classic-vw.co.uk

Back to the top
liability……..isnt that a means of saying "scrapyard in the sky"…… :boohoo:

Back to the top
The only 2dr non cabrio GLi's I have seen are 2 dr Jettas?

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
Sorry the original question, I believe that the difference between the GTI and GLI is that the GTI is a sports car with a basic interior, i.e. earlier ones did not have a glove box lid and the GLI is the same car with a plusher interior and the trimmings of the GLS. More like a wolf in sheeps clothing.

Back to the top
Malcolm, the car now is in Australia. It was imported for the second time to Australia.
I don't know if I can find the first time it was registered because I never knew its UK plates.

Back to the top
Someone put a GLi badge on it? You would need the production codes from the sticker to confirm original spec

Banner

Back to the top
No, someone put the GTi badge instead. The car has white headlining and a original 1.6 Kjet Heron motor.

Vin number is # 1793381525

Can you find any info from the VIN?

Back to the top

dubboy said

Someone put a GLi badge on it? You would need the production codes from the sticker to confirm original spec

Where can I find the production codes from?

Back to the top
it's definately an EG block, not EJ?

Back to the top

metalblue said

it's definately an EG block, not EJ?

Yeah, its EG 100%

I just double checked it.

Back to the top
Forgot to mention…

Car has rear windscreen wiper. All original, nothing been modified.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Back to the top
Bump.

Please guys I would really like to know the true facts behind my car.  :lol:

Back to the top
Replacing trim doesn't make a non-GTI into a GTI. GLI rare - unsure, you're in Australia? I'm not sure what models were available there. If you get hold of a copy of ETKA, it has a list of all the models on the options pages with their codes. As for numbers etc, you'd need to contact the official importer or perhaps find an Australian VW forum, the focus and membership here tends to be UK-orientated.

I personally didn't think GLi hatchbacks existed (they certainly didn't in the UK!) but the Jetta GLi and cabriolet GLi definitely did. The Jetta GLi is a really nice, underrated car too.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.