Skip navigation

New Tesco Momentum 99 fuel

Back to the top

New Tesco Momentum 99 fuel

Filled Flossie with this yesterday and for the first time in the six years I have owned her she didn't pink!!!

Anyone else tried it?

Back to the top
if you were getting pinking then i would suggest getting the timing/mixtures checked..

Ever growing range of new mk1 golf parts www.classic-vw.co.uk

Back to the top
Timing had been checked and rechecked.  Quite simply, it states in the car that it should have minimum 98 RON fuel - yesterday was the first time I have seen any that reached that!  No pinking any more.

Just to say she didn't pink often - only under load in hot weather.

Back to the top
what actually is "pinking" ?

Back to the top
What's the price? If its as good as it suggests, and cheaper than Shell V-Power (120.9p/litre at my local) that would be great!

Back to the top
I paid 127.9 but I do live in Andover ;)

Back to the top

shirlthegirl said

Timing had been checked and rechecked.  Quite simply, it states in the car that it should have minimum 98 RON fuel - yesterday was the first time I have seen any that reached that!  No pinking any more.

Is it a formel E then?

I thought they were the only mk1's specifying what was 5 star?

Unless you've got a mk2 16v engine and if you run those on 95ron they blow the headgasket between the cylinders. Had to do my old one twice lmao

The quick fix is just to retard the timing a degree or two, it's a better idea than risking any pinking or knocking.

Jon.

Back to the top

shirlthegirl said

vpower is 99 RON

Back to the top
Do you get more miles per gallon then on monumentuis?

Back to the top
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_knocking

very interesting - and not necessarily related to spark timing…

Back to the top

Andy_Jeffries said

what actually is "pinking" ?

pinking is an issue that can occur with any engine, basically it happens when the fuel that is injected into the cylinder explodes before the spark is given and/or the piston reaches TDC.

it is a serious issue because it tries to force the piston back own whilst it is still trying to get up the bore, it also can damage the piston and its rings.

1983 Golf 1.3 Driver:  

Back to the top

Crowson_punk said

shirlthegirl said

Is it a formel E then?

I thought they were the only mk1's specifying what was 5 star?

98 was four star. 100 octane was five star.

2008 Citro'n C6 (C6 RTK)
1993 Jeep Cherokee. 1985 Scimitar SS1
132 cars in 18 years…

Past VWs: Mk 1 Clipper, Mk 2 Polo, Beetles, Beetle Cab, Buses, Passats, Sciroccos, Golf Mk 2 GTis, Jetta Syncro, New Beetle Cabrio

Back to the top
i wouldn't andover £5.80 a gallon.

Back to the top
C formel E and GTI models specified 4 star in their day. No VW ever needed 5 star. All VW engines from around the 1970s can take unleaded. So with today's fuels, you can run the C formel E and GTI on super unleaded. You can run it on normal unleaded if you take it easy, too.

Back to the top
I took my GTi to Knebworth today & stopped at an Esso petrol station in Woolmer Green(Herts) & they had 4 star leaded petrol,
I thought I would treat the golf to some leaded fuel, couldn't see the price anywhere, so I picked up the pump,
then put it straight back down again:-

£1.89 a litre :doh:

Back to the top

studs said

I took my GTi to Knebworth today & stopped at an Esso petrol station in Woolmer Green(Herts) & they had 4 star leaded petrol,
I thought I would treat the golf to some leaded fuel, couldn't see the price anywhere, so I picked up the pump,
then put it straight back down again:-

£1.89 a litre :doh:

Was it really leaded, or LRP?

Back to the top
It had the old style red circle with the white 4 stars & said leaded, so I believe it was leaded.

Back to the top
The Ford garage in Marlow,Bucks has 4 star leaded too. Had it for my first tank back on the road. Was pricey though,and it is attended pumps!

Back to the top

RichardKC6 said

98 was four star. 100 octane was five star.

Ah yeah, forgot that!!!!

Duh.

lol i'm a cretin, it's official!

But optimax and tesco's stuff does make a difference in the golf. i find esso/total/bp super unleaded makes next to no difference at all.  I gain a few mpg and i can definately feel the difference in torque.  Doesn't make it faster it just seems to cruise happier. idles better too.

Jon.

Back to the top
I gave the golf  a treat the other day and put £25 of Tesco 99 octain in,well since then i find the car doesn't start so well,normally first thing in the morning car starts on about half a turn of the starter'even when laid up for six months the starting is superb,but now it takes a few cranks then fires but not with the same exhubrance( thats the only way i can explain it) can't wait now for the 99 octain to be used up and revert back to the conventional 95? octain and hopefully the car will revert back to normal.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.