Skip navigation

New head fitted but still sounds like a diesel :o(

Back to the top

your problem

New head fitted but still sounds like a diesel :o(

hi been looking at your problem listened to it on you tube as well-------i hav just rebuilt my engine from block up so thinking of the sound yours is making makes me think like the others on here(timing) BUT what about the oil pump are you getting oil to the top end or even bottom end cos that will make it knock if there is no oil????????? to test this start it up and then take the oil cap off if its doing what its supposed to you can see the oil BUT DONT LOOK TO CLOSE COS IT WILL SPLASH OUT --------and if it carnt be seen then its the oil pump

Back to the top
Right lads, am off work tomorrow  :D  so I'm gona have a bash at checking the timing, BUT the jobs are starting to mount and I'm getting peeved off by the day….  I done another oil change the other day and used some oil from Halfrauds !! it didn't say if it was semi or anything but it had on "for early injections from 83 to early 90's" it was in a 5ltr bronze coloured container, anyway since then after a few miles the oil light flickers off and on at low revs, plus the buzzer sound has been on and off,  I've been reading lots of threads on here and they all seem to point to the wiring or sensors !! can anyone shed some light on it… my head is proper done in now.  :banghead: I'm thinking it's down to the oil being ShXt, there is an interesting thread on here about dropping the oil and at the same time removing the sump and also the oil pump/pickup pipe/filter and checking it's not blocked, I think I'll give this a try tomorrow also and maybe some decent oil, when the head went a few month back it went to the garage and six ltrs of crap was drained, so I'm thinking there maybe some kind of blockage. :|
Just want some advice about the light and oil etc… sorry to be a pain and I imagine most people on here have felt like you take a step forward and 20 back… going nowhere. :dontknow:
Cheers lad.

Back to the top
Hi bud
good luck with finding the problem
have you seen this excellant guide for setting/checking the timing
The Mk1 Golf Owners Club
cheers
baz.

Back to the top
Hi
have you fitted the splash gaurd back onto the car , its because you must have hydraulic tappets which requires the OIL to be directed correctly.
baz
I started this post
The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

Back to the top
Alrite Baz, thanks for all your help and the link to set you timing which is perfect and very well discribed, On Monday I dropped the oil and removed the sump, removed the oil pump and cleaned it all then put back together, then put som semi synth 15/40 oil in but didn't make much change to the sound, last night I set the cam timing which I must say was chuffed, I managed to get everything set up without moving anything all was set TCD, there is still a slight tappet noise but it's alot smoother and it does get better after a few miles I guess this is down to the age/milage, going to do the ignition timing tonight so watch this space. I must say after about 15/20 mins driving the oil light flikers on when at idle not sure what this is….. any ideas ????

thanks again
Paul

Back to the top

v

"Grolly" said

Alrite Baz, thanks for all your help and the link to set you timing which is perfect and very well discribed, On Monday I dropped the oil and removed the sump, removed the oil pump and cleaned it all then put back together, then put som semi synth 15/40 oil in but didn't make much change to the sound, last night I set the cam timing which I must say was chuffed, I managed to get everything set up without moving anything all was set TCD, there is still a slight tappet noise but it's alot smoother and it does get better after a few miles I guess this is down to the age/milage, going to do the ignition timing tonight so watch this space. I must say after about 15/20 mins driving the oil light flikers on when at idle not sure what this is….. any ideas ????

im still favouring the oil pump

Back to the top
i would imagine the oil splash guard is to protect ur engine bay from oil splashes so is perfectly safe to remove. u can get hydraulic tappet cleaner that u add to ur oil to quieten them but if the timing is advanced or retarded then i wouldnt drive it until u have had it properly sorted because knocking or pinking will knacker ur engine after u just spent all that money on it

1991 mk2 golf ryder (deceased)
1983 mk1 golf 1.8 Gti Mars Red (stripped)
1987 mk1 caddy 1.6d Matte Black (deceased)
1990 mk2 golf 1.8 8v Gti Tornado Red (sold)

Now car-less and looking for a long term ride. 

Back to the top
p.s oil is oil as long as it is manufacturers recomended viscosity then it will be fine. Cheaper oils may degrade more quickly but if u service your golf regularly then it will get changed well before it reaches that stage anyway

1991 mk2 golf ryder (deceased)
1983 mk1 golf 1.8 Gti Mars Red (stripped)
1987 mk1 caddy 1.6d Matte Black (deceased)
1990 mk2 golf 1.8 8v Gti Tornado Red (sold)

Now car-less and looking for a long term ride. 

Back to the top
Cheers mate, I renewed to oil pump yesterday and my oil light seems to have stopped flickering, done all the timing etc… and it does seem a lot beter now but still a little noisy, i guess I'm just compairing it with your modern day engine, after all the car is 20 years old, I put it up for sale on ebay item number 330447072737  I need a more modern car and it just goingt to get wrecked with work.

Thanks guys for all your help.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.