Skip navigation

1982 1.6 project

Back to the top

1982 1.6 project

Ive just recently got this golf and am planning to take it back to original. it has been in a garage for 10 years chillin out doing nothing now its time to come back to life. The former owner started filling dents in here and there and never finished it off. It went of the road with a bad fuel pump, ive got a new one flushed the fuel serviced it shes running again, just need to do a complete overhaul. good thing is its solid no rust really anywhere.

New wheel cylinder each and dropped the axle to remove the tank and put a new one in.

The cars had new brake lines, discs and pads refurbed the calipers and drums, new fuel tank and pump, engine flush and service. lots and lots of tiding and replacing parts and refurbing parts got all the eletrics working properly and got it through the MOT and then stripped it for paint shop.

If it isnt broke fix it until it is.

Back to the top
painted

Back to the top
last pic…. battery..hen…..
battery hen…. get it?   im sorry

Weber,ATS,Apex,Ripspeed,Supersprint,K&N MOMO..tbc

Back to the top
yea get it mate, there not even mine they come in the garden from next door and start standing all over my legs when im under the car working the little buggers.

back from the paint shop carefully getting rebuilt.

Really happy with the paint just need some clean seats now mines well past it anyone got any knocking about.

Back to the top

Back to the top

Back to the top
nice new and shiney! you must be well happy!  :D

Back to the top
yes i am happy with it blans still got quite a bit to do inside and under the bonnet but im getting there.

Back to the top
Looks nice - great job!

Back to the top
Looks great,good to see another on back on the road and in tip top condition.

Back to the top

head rebuild

Ive decided to rebuild the cylinder head over the winter and refurb a few other bits n bobs. I know maybe I should have dropped the whole thing out a done the lot but I was quite happy with the compression test and decided to leave the bottom half plus ive no crane. The engine was running fine with no problems but wanted something to keep me busy and would benefit the car.
Removal of head

The first exhaust valve was the worst the valve seat was quite bad should clean up though

Its suprised me how it was running ok like this inside.

I managed to remove the manifolds without shearing anything, but then sheared two on the water pipe on the front of the head luckily there was enough left to weld a washer and nut on to wind them out.

Back to the top
Thats come together really well! :)

Paints looking great, once the engines done, its time to go cruising.

Back to the top
Really nice resto!! Good luck with the engine

Back to the top

brucieboy said

last pic…. battery..hen…..
battery hen…. get it?   im sorry

You deserve to be charged with jokes like that…  :D

Back to the top
After removing the valves and old seals the head came up well with a bit of scrubbing with this ali shine mild acid. Cleaned all the ports out too with the dremel.

Valves came up well so promptly ground new seats in and put new seals in place.

before paint after a good clean inside and out.

after paint with eastwood alum blast

Back to the top
Nice work mate and nice looking MK1 ;)

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
I decided to take the sump off to remove the pistons thought i might aswell while heads off, the rings and shells looked in good condition but replaced them anyway.

refurbed the metering head.

I changed the water pump, thermostat and treated it to some new injectors and then put everything back together fired up straight away. I then then timed it up and set the idle it sounded real good i let it get up to temperarture but the fan wouldnt kick in and just carried on getting hotter and hotter. I knew id bled the water properly my head was a bit pickled then wondering why this would happen now :banghead: .Thermostat was my first point of call, took the new one out and put it in a pan of water with my old thermostat and started warming them the new one wouldnt open GSF sold me a faulty one  :x .So put the old one back in and everything was good, its now running really cool alot better than before overall im very happy with the engine now. next its the servo upgrade i think.

Back to the top
Very good work there, you have made that look easy :wink:

Glad you have sorted the 'stat' problem, crappy gsf :roll:

I take it you will be upgrading to a 9" Servo and 16 m/c, I also got a 10mm diameter stainless steel bar made up with a  r/h and l/h m8 thread turned on each end to replace the 8mm mild steel push rod that runs across the back of the bay, this makes a difference in braking performance to, as there is pretty much no flex in the s/s bar under hard braking. If you remove the std bar and flex it you will see it flexs a lot. Worthwhile upgrade I think, I'm also running 256mm mk2 16v discs and vauxhall capliers, as a lot of people on here are, and its a good upgrade to.

Pete.

Back to the top
I know what you mean about the bar that runs down the back I'll have a look at that. I've got a servo and master cylinder from a corrado g60 had it for while not sure whether to put it in as I'm trying to keep it as standard as possible but I'd say that's more of an upgrade and not a modification I reckon so it's ok? I think

Back to the top

ronko said

I know what you mean about the bar that runs down the back I'll have a look at that. I've got a servo and master cylinder from a corrado g60 had it for while not sure whether to put it in as I'm trying to keep it as standard as possible but I'd say that's more of an upgrade and not a modification I reckon so it's ok? I think

Yeah I think it's ok, better stopping power gives more confidence in driving and enjoying it as a gti I think, plus you are using oem parts, so like a natural upgrade really :wink:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.