Skip navigation

Gym goers here?

Back to the top

Gym goers here?

My 2 pence on my gym life….

I was once a very fit active guy weighing around 12st.

Had 2 back ops a few years back and my weight currently stands at just over 18st :(

My diet is a mess as I work shifts and I am sure I am getting my diet all wrong.

When I do go to the gym I just go for general fitness as I am so physically weak and just a general mess at the moment! hoping that when the weight does come off I will start to feel more alive (If that makes sence!?)

Btw….when I was fit and healthy I used to play rugby, football, cricket, golf and cycle a hell of alot!

Back to the top

Andy_Jeffries said

Had 2 back ops a few years back and my weight currently stands at just over 18st :(

My diet is a mess as I work shifts and I am sure I am getting my diet all wrong.

When I do go to the gym I just go for general fitness as I am so physically weak and just a general mess at the moment! hoping that when the weight does come off I will start to feel more alive (If that makes sence!?)

Btw….when I was fit and healthy I used to play rugby, football, cricket, golf and cycle a hell of alot!

Takes time mate but don't forget to look carefully at your diet as a modest decrease of 250Kcal and a little more physical activity amounting to roughly the same through perhaps walking up stairs at work instead of using the lift or getting off the bus a couple of stops earlier will help.

Good luck!

T

Back to the top

Tian said

Andy_Jeffries said

Takes time mate but don't forget to look carefully at your diet as a modest decrease of 250Kcal and a little more physical activity amounting to roughly the same through perhaps walking up stairs at work instead of using the lift or getting off the bus a couple of stops earlier will help.

Good luck!

T

Cheers dude :)

My biggest problem is that I just sit all day for my job so have tried to reduce my intake during the day but then have no get up and go at the end of the day!

I do have a huge lake behind my house with endless paths for jogging (walking) on so there should be no excuse really - only want to loose a few ib's a week as it will all add up over a year or 2 :)

Back to the top

shepp said

Hi guys

Just thought i could clear this up but I am also a personal trainer but also teach degree sport nutrition and have a masters.

Welsh-mk1 is correct the release of protien is not only the rating of its quality but also the speed in which it is digested and released in to the blood stream.

Casien protein takes around 8 hours to be absorbed and is used to supply protein (amino acids) over a period of 8 hours, so it drip feeds your muscles. Usually taken before bed or when you are not able to have protein for a period of time.

Whey protein has a digestion rate of around 1-2hrs, so is used as a post training exercise. It is easy to make and can be made to taste nice

Hydrolysed whey is a pre digested protein which means some of the molecules are taken of the digestion process, which means it goes through your stomach and into the blood stream in about half an hour. It is the best for of post exercise protein but to say it is bitter is a massive understatement. You do get used to it though….if you hold your breath!

Obviously other kinds out their but these are the basic types that all build from when trying to make the "make yourself massive in 3 weeks" protein drink!

Protein of around 1.8g per kg body weight, carbs and creatine are the only researched way to be strong and musclular…..apart from jabbing roids in your behind!

Hope this helps

Dan

Good to know the digestion rates, will bare it in mind when i get back into protein and the gym properly.

Alex

Back to the top
Don't aim to lose anymore than one or two pounds a week. Anymore than that and it's unsustainable and you'll probably be losing lean tissue as well. Fact is that if you consume 3500Kcal/week more than you require then you'll gain 1lb of fat, the same works in reverse, so at just 500Kcal/day split between gentle exercise and a small reduction in intake you'll drop a stone in just two months.

T

Back to the top
i can flutter in and out of weight every two weeks, ranging from 15st 8lb to 16st 4lbs, and yes using the same scales at the same time of the day. My diet is pretty much bang on:

Wake Up:
-2 pieces of wholemeal and 2 large scrambled eggs, orange juice or fruit juice variant.

Snack
-Ryvita with cottage cheese or peanut butter, or protein shake but only if on the go.

Lunch
-Something involving tuna, so jacket spud etc or chicken breast with pasta, or lean mince with brown rice butter beans etc in a chilli.

Pre workout
-Shake of Whey protein.

Post workout
-Shake of Whey again.

Dinner
-Again a variant with protein highly involved and as much veg as possible.

Snack again the same.

Before bed, either more cottage cheese, or casein whey.

I cycle on and off creatine and glutamine, but havnt taken for a while due to my injury.

Training(Off season from rugby):
5 day split
-1-Chest
-2-Arms
-3-Shoulders
-4-Rest
-5-Back
-6-Legs (But cant do them until knee recovers)
-7-Rest

Annoyingly recovering at the moment, but the strength and conditioning guys are constructing me a programme to build up again for the beginning of next season. Really need to strengthen my leg after 8 months with poor/low use…

Any ideas on more snacks, ive got apples, peanut butter flapjacks, cottage cheese on some sort of rye cracker and thats it. Try and stay off protein to save me moneys for a snack!lol.

Welchy

1993 Cabby Rivage

Back to the top
Dried Apricots, cheap, good intrinsic sugar and fibre.

Raw nuts, roast them yourself when ready, no added oil or salt, takes two minutes good protein, fat and mico nutrients.

T

Back to the top
Niice, i bloomin loves apricots, never thought of them.

Cheers!

1993 Cabby Rivage
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.