Skip navigation

Registering as a classic car?

Back to the top

Registering as a classic car?

Just wandering if you can register your car as a classic car, or does it have to be a certain age?are all mk1s upto 1993 classics?

welchy :mrgreen:

1993 Cabby Rivage

Back to the top
???

Back to the top
Is it 25 years and over?  Not entirely sure.  You don't have to 'register' as a classic, just means classic insurance companies will consider you.

Mine is a '86 and is on Classic Car insurance.  I pay £120 a year.

Back to the top
i dunno but i tried to find out if i could get me some black and silver reg plates but unfortunetly the car has to be regesterd before 1973!

Back to the top
My sportline 1991 was on classic insurance.

Think it needs to be 20 years or over

Ever growing range of new mk1 golf parts www.classic-vw.co.uk

Back to the top
/\ What he said! My Sportline is a '93 and is classed as my 'modern' on my triple car policy with Footman James, my other 2 cars have to be classics.

Mk1 Golf floor mats - for tin top and cabriolet - Zero7796 17298Five

Back to the top
Think it may vary from company to company.

In the recent past I've had cars over 15 years old that were on classic policies - might be something to do with when they were last made??

Also there are issues around your no claims and classic insurance policies - you sometimes need a normal car policy to keep it alive or it can become a struggle to get it accepted later down the line

86 Cabby 1.6 auto - Super cool daily retro various

Back to the top
I rang round loads of places and the best i found for classic insurance was FJ, £100 fully comp with unlimited milage and breakdown cover thrown in. Not sure what makes the car eligible for classic though  :dontknow:

'83 1.5 LHD Golf LX

Back to the top
I was under some random impression you needed to register the car. So with Footman James i was reading any car under 15 years classified for discounted club scheme etc etc. May be worth a call. At 21(well in two weeks!) with a rivage gti my options have always been limited, but classic car insurance may seem the most viable option. Do you definately need another policy to keep it alive or can you use your ncb on it?

cheers again

welchy

1993 Cabby Rivage

Back to the top
Welchy, how much are you paying ?

I'm 35 and paying £340 for my rivage, not really shopped around in the last couple of years though (Liverpool Vic)

I have a 1976 Vespa too that is on classic insurance with footman James £120.

Back to the top
PNERivage

I'm paying just shy of £100 for my campaign (footman James) and the 87 GTi cabby I just sold my bro was £114 through Lancaster insurance. Both of these are fully comp and do not require no claims bonus as they are classic cars. I'm 32 and have 6 points thanks to an over excited day on my motorbike  :redfaced:  and one non fault claim in the last 5 years (a bus hit the back of my black cabby whilst I was sat at traffic lights, was well chuffed as you'd expect!)

For some bizzare reason Lancaster are charging my Bro £240 for the same vehicle and he's 2 years older with no points. To be fair he does have one claim where some swine burgled his house and took off with all his gear in his car, which was nice of him! (or her could be a girl I guess)

Might be worth a phone round! To get the lancaster one for the cabby which I sold to my bro I just went to confused.com, all of the prices weren't very good, but the insurance company then had my details and called me directly with a better one - might be something to do with finders fee through search engine :dontknow:

MK1 GTi Cab '91' H Black
Mars Red Campaign - work in progress
MK1 GTi Sportline '92' J Red

Back to the top
Mikey - thats cheap!

Mine is about 330 FC&5000 miles - Lancaster via confused.com

No claims in last 9 years - no points ever….

Did have a shockingly bad accident on the motorway about 11/12 years ago - no one injured but we did take out about 6 other cars and 200 yards of crash barrier - never got done for it, did a course with a load of housewives who had been drinking gin and driving! Even though they say these things are wiped after 4 years I've always suspected its true that it stays on record….

Back to the top
Did have a shockingly bad accident on the motorway about 11/12 years ago - no one injured but we did take out about 6 other cars and 200 yards of crash barrier - never got done for it, did a course with a load of housewives who had been drinking gin and driving! Even though they say these things are wiped after 4 years I've always suspected its true that it stays on record….

Good god, you did well not to have any injuries mate!. Personally being a sceptic, I think that all of your insurance history is kept on file and is taken into consideration regardless of what they say - it's a risk assessment after all!

Mikey - thats cheap!

My brother thought so too, speacially after he get quoted more than double by the same company :lol:  Like I say, Lancaster was the one which I insured the blue cabby with, however they did quote me £250+ on the search, but then called me back and offerred me it at £139! went through the quote and got them to take off the legal cover as it's not really worth anything and I am already covered by my bank in any case, this took it to £114  :lol:

It maybe cheaper for me as I have another car, a van (with 13 years no claims) and a motorbike  :dontknow: I insure all of these (inc my new campaign) for less than £600 and my bikes hardly a scooter  :lol:  

Postcode might be something to do with it as well, but I hardly live in Beverley Hills, oh and my brother lives within half a mile as the crow flys!

MK1 GTi Cab '91' H Black
Mars Red Campaign - work in progress
MK1 GTi Sportline '92' J Red

Back to the top
Yeah was incredibly lucky Mikey - long story but at the time didn't actually have insurance either - though all sorted by a well spoken guy from my company who got the charge sheet ripped up - like a jedi mind trick….

We were in a top of range Hyundai Coupe, it was one of the first ones from when they got the nicer shape - and although bits of it were spread all over the mway - inside we were all A1 - all but one of the wheels was torn off - struts and all - probably what saved us and stopped us from rolling  :dontknow:

Anyway I think I'll go for a multi-car next time - I'm in M20, nice bit of town really - for comparison when i ran same details through for my old flat in Shepherds Bush it was over £100 cheaper…..

Back to the top
Ive used a broker called A-Plan in Solihul for years now on all my cars.

I'm 38, no points, no claims, passed my test in 1989. My Audi A4 S-Line is about £320 with protected no claims and a 25% GAP Ins included.

My 85 GTi Cabby is £100 with limited mileage (3000).

I phone round every year. And time and time again A-Plan beat the best quote.

Might be worth giving em a try. 0121 711 1711

2008 VW Transporter T5, 1974 Rover P6 2200TC, 2010 Mini Cooper.

Back to the top
footman james don't seem to be covering me as im 21 which is very annoying!

1993 Cabby Rivage

Back to the top
Dunno about Registering as a "Classic"…as far as insurance companies go they will have there own classification…….

When purchasing your "Road Fund" (LoL) Licence, the Classification is "Historic Vehicle" and for this there is no licence fee to pay.  To qualify as a Historic Vehicle, it must have been manufactured prior to the end of 1972 (It used to be rolling year on year but the ratbag politicians put the kybosh on that….'appen the ConDems may bring it back if all the "Classic" folks bend the ears of their local MPs)…..'appen we should protest::::

http://news.motorbiker.org/blogs.nsf/dx/france-the-massive-motorcycle-protest-of-this-weekend.htm

The facility to use Silver/White on Black number plates follows these dates

Being manufactured at the end of 1972 means that some cars qualify for Tax exemption even tho' they were first registered in early 1973!

Mk1 GTI
B5 Passat Estate 5 SPeed
Riley 1071"S" Elf Mk2  (Bl**dy Hooligan machine!)
Bosch Lawnraker 32

Back to the top
Hi Welchy,

I think you have to be over 25 sometimes (depending who you go with I guess) as well mate to get classic car insurance, i got my rivage on classic car with declared 1.8T engine conversion and agreed value of 8K for £350.

Nice to see you back on the site mate.

Drew

/Users/cherie/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2008/16 Sep 2008/DSC01016.JPG

Back to the top
Can this thread be moved to the insurance section?

Back to the top
Sure it can sorry, drew, whats happening with you now then?!you did the 1.8T conversion then?!thats awesome…

send me a few pics..

1993 Cabby Rivage
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.