Skip navigation

83 GTI not starting - got fuel, spark etc

Back to the top

83 GTI not starting - got fuel, spark etc

Hi,

Just spoken to my cousin, that was the first thing that crossed his mind when it backfired through the inlet. But has ruled that out by turning the dizzy full 180 degrees opposite and still got the problem. (this may not be how it's done, but i'm no expert either  :wink: )

It's bizarre how one second it was fine then 5 minutes later it's not. (The only thing i can think of is that i overfuelled it when trying to bump it and then more problems have come as a result  :dontknow: )

My cousin has got another mechanic to give it a full checkover today and start a fresh…

I'll let you know.

Once again thanks for the help, really appreciate it!

P.s. dont know what you mean about the injectors but i think he tried them by cranking the car for a certain amount of time and seeing how much each injector squirted and the shape of the spray

Back to the top
Has the cam belt been off for any reason?
Has it been retimed with the correct mark on the cam pulley?

Just a thought!

Back to the top

joey said

Conical spray from all injectors with the same amount coming from each…

even amounts, doesn't mean the fuel pressure is correct.

Back to the top
Hello all,

Right, firstly, moral of the story - assumption is the mother of all… ha ha

Obviously as i said before we had a spark and fuel but it just wasn't igniting. The spark however must not of been strong enough.

The end result was my ignition coil, which was bought from a well known parts shop very recently (Don't know if i should name them)

Other things did need changing, such as: Poor power lead going to the starter motor, HT Leads (Also low quality from the same shop), rotor arm, spark plugs and obviously fuel pump relay as mentioned before… But the main problem was the new coil.

Good thing is, it is now starting better than ever! and the sun's out  :D

Thanks for all your help!

Back to the top
Hi Mate, just had a look at your thread and thought about a similar problem i had with my gti cabby. It refused to start and was soaking the plugs. It turned out to be the dissy, it was still turning but the key at the bottom of the shaft where it goes into the block had turned internally causing it to backfire and pop. I tried a second hand dissy and timed it all up and it started striaght away. Sometimes the hall sender in the dissy can play up to its worth tyring a second hand one that you know is good or get the old one re conned. Hope this helps mate

Back to the top
This has sounded exactly like the problems I am having with my cabby!  Think I will go and pull the coil, and dizzy from my mates car and give it a go! :D
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.