Skip navigation

Bikes Who are u????????

Back to the top

Bikes Who are u????????

Don't get anything below a 600cc reason been resale, most first time buyers look at 600cc due to the fact they learn on a 500cc.

GTI Campaign Helios Blue, Going back Standard
GTI Campaign Schwartz Black shouldn't have sold
GTI Mk7 Performance pack Daily drive
Polo 1.4sel Sunset Orange The Wife's
Triumph Tiger

Back to the top
Done my DAS course about ten years ago and have loved every minute since. First bike was a Bandit 600 and i loved it, did everything on it for two years as it was my only transport. Brilliant first bike. Then money freed up a bit and bought a CBR600. Lovely bike but frankly i'm a 'chunky' fella and was never entirely comfy on a sports bike. That and the fact that it taunted me into riding far faster than i should all the time made me change it after a couple of years. Now got an XRV 750 'Africa Twin' which has been great. Bit slow but I've done some great trips on it. Been around Europe twice, France a couple of times and Morocco for some off road fun (fantastic trip that was, thoroughly recommended)…the bike has been faultless everytime. (You really have to ride in europe at some point, the roads are brilliant and the people are just so much more bike friendly than here in blighty) Hankering after a KTM adventure but funds are restricting me a bit right now.

Anyway, go for it mate. I guarantee you'll love it. Re the ZZR600, I dont know too much but remember reading about a couple of faults to look out for. Think the head bearings are a bit prone to wearing and the brakes can need regular attention. Also the paint can be a bit thin and they can suffer corrosion a bit if not looked after year round. That said, what I just wrote goes for virtually all bikes so dont be put off, just be patient and find a nice one. They're getting on a little bit now compared to the latest bikes but it'll still give you a fantastic rush and to be honest, be a lot more comfy than the latest track missiles. Not a bad choice in my opinion.

Good luck mate, ignore the naysayers.

G

Back to the top
Cheers guys for all the support.

Woke up got down to the garrage after a long run last night I said to the golf to leave a little room as she would be gettin a friend soon. with a nice spring in ma step anticipatin the excitin day of biking ahead i opened the garrage and the stubbern B***h refused to start i looked all the cables were fine battery was good but starter was stuck. THIS WAS A VERY BAD START :evil:  After a few choice words i left and got my dads car to go. Arriving late! The guys were good and understandin of the problems of owning an old car tho.
Some GOOD news today went out and COMPLETED THE CBT TEST.  :D  :D  
Iv done the theory and when i looked for the certificate like everything of mine it was lost :banghead: :redfaced:  .I did however phone the DVLA and are sendin a letter to say that i got it :D
when i get it through i will continue the training.

LOOKIN FORWARD TO THE NEXT STAGE

Cheers Hobo :lol:  :mrgreen:

If She Aint Rubbin It Aint Dubbin !!!

Just Dub It!!!!

Back to the top

jacob said

Don't get anything below a 600cc reason been resale, most first time buyers look at 600cc due to the fact they learn on a 500cc.
unless they don't do direct access on a 500, and are restricted to 33bhp for 2 years.  In which case buy this, it's my first ride, 400cc but very nippy for it, and currently up for sale  :lol:

'83 :) Golf 1.5 GX - weekender - in pics: 1983 Mk 1 Golf GX - a set on Flickr
'88 T25 camper 2.1 - in pics: Gina the van's renovation - a set on Flickr

Back to the top
Thats me got dates for the full training but will be into june. :(  doing direct access on a 600cc yammy.
Just another general question i will get a good helmet for around 200 i think i have a nitro one the now but at 70 quid and about 5 yrs old if i pass the test i will get another.
I am now wondering about trousers???? im not into the leather look as im between 36 and 38 waist and feel self concious so wouldnt be comfortable in leather. that said im wondering what is a good type of textile type trouser and do you wear them? looking at paying less than 90 quid for these but any comments would be great.
The reason im looking at gettin trousers is that my top half was fine with my leather jacket but with jeans on my bits were rather cold. :lol: plus the added protection as im not convinced that the stitching on jeans would be up to much sliding along the road (not that im planning this) but better safe than sorry.

Cheers Hobo

Just Dub It!!!!

Back to the top
you should replce your helmet every 4 years regardless!

for £200 you can get somethign easy.

I got a "Caberg Trip - Matt Black" for £140  couple of years ago now, think theyre at about £110 now get bits of kit, flip top, built in sunvisor!

Jay.

Mk2 scirocco race car (16V GTI)

Mk2 golf (8V GTI)

Rocco Scala car-a-van

Rocco gt2 1/4 trailer

Back to the top
Hi Jay,
I know they should be replaced just i got a cbt about 4 yrs ago and used a 125cc for around a year or just over that. after that i have never really used a helmet only if there is a stag night going to the karts. thats why i wouldnt get one until now i feel that deffo i need one for just the safety aspect.
Had a look at the trip helmet reviews and someone said over 30mph they are really noisy? appart from that all good reviews i do like the idea of having the inner sun viser. seen this one Caberg Trip Tova Helmet for 120 delivered looks cool in red white and matt black. i also like the look of the flip front and thought they would be a lot more expensive.

Would be interested to hear what everyone else has aswel??

Cheers Hobo

Just Dub It!!!!

Back to the top
Helmets do's and don't
Get a tape measure and place around yourhead starting with your forehead to see what size you need.
Try on as many helmets from different makers, all are different fitting
Go to bike clothing shop and get someone to help you with fitting, The helmet must be a good fit. Too tight will give you an headach to big it'll move around on your head when riding.

don't have one delivered believe it or not you could try a shoei on and think great but I can get cheaper on the internet there will be a slight differance.

Trousers don't wear jeans, you come at speed the jeans will last wooooo 5 seconds then your skin will last wooooo 10 seconds but don't worry yours bones will stop you sliding down the road.

Get goretex or kavla jeans from the bike shop.

GTI Campaign Helios Blue, Going back Standard
GTI Campaign Schwartz Black shouldn't have sold
GTI Mk7 Performance pack Daily drive
Polo 1.4sel Sunset Orange The Wife's
Triumph Tiger

Back to the top
I've got a brand new shoei xr900 with a good design (the name of which escapes me at the minute) which is 61 - 62 cm if you're interested give us a shout and i'll get you some piccies over. I paid £250 for it and was going to use it as a pillion lid

MK1 GTi Cab '91' H Black
Mars Red Campaign - work in progress
MK1 GTi Sportline '92' J Red

Back to the top
Plus i'm also selling this if you're interested  :lol:

MK1 GTi Cab '91' H Black

Back to the top

Fixed link  :redfaced:

MK1 GTi Cab '91' H Black

Back to the top
Thats a stunning bike like. 8O  i do like the cbr
I am of the thinking that if i got one of them i wouldnt last that long as a first time biker.
Dont get me wrong i would love a bike like that but i feel the price and the speed might be wrong for a first bike.

Hobo

Just Dub It!!!!

Back to the top

Hobo said

Hi Jay,
I know they should be replaced just i got a cbt about 4 yrs ago and used a 125cc for around a year or just over that. after that i have never really used a helmet only if there is a stag night going to the karts. thats why i wouldnt get one until now i feel that deffo i need one for just the safety aspect.
Had a look at the trip helmet reviews and someone said over 30mph they are really noisy? appart from that all good reviews i do like the idea of having the inner sun viser. seen this one Caberg Trip Tova Helmet for 120 delivered looks cool in red white and matt black. i also like the look of the flip front and thought they would be a lot more expensive.

Would be interested to hear what everyone else has aswel??

Cheers Hobo

I run an intercomm so I've pdded out the inside to hold the speakers, this extr fom has elminated what little noise there ws, but tbh, i didn't notice much difference fro ma std helmet in the first place.

As to the rest of the gear ALWAYS wear all your gear, even just for 5 minutes down to the shops, but I'm sure you and every biker here knows that.

Jeans, as said above, are a no go, unless they're something like "Dragin Jeans" which have Kevla inside, these dont protect against bashes, but do act like steel when sliding along!

Always wear your glove too…. I've seen too mainy ground off thumbs and fingures where they're got trapped under the fallen biker to consider otherwise.

Just my 2 cents :-) Jay.

Mk2 scirocco race car (16V GTI)

Mk2 golf (8V GTI)

Rocco Scala car-a-van

Rocco gt2 1/4 trailer

Back to the top
Any of you bikers fancy a change of bike? Finally put her up for sale

My CBR

MK1 GTi Cab '91' H Black

Back to the top
Hi guys,
More good news just to keep u informed i passed the Mod 1 test for bikes today 1st time well chufft. :D
The 600cc bikes are a lot nicer to ride feel safer too for junctions etc
1 more stage to go then a need a bike roll on the mod 2 test.

A happy Hobo :D

Just Dub It!!!!

Back to the top
Hi guys some quality news here PASSED the practical part of the bike test today in the rain.
Time to go out and look at some bikes looking forward to the country roads maybe even some camping trips with a bike.
 :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Any ideas for bikes? :dontknow:

Cheers Hobo

Just Dub It!!!!

Back to the top
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! - all the best riders pass first time  :wink:

Chuffed for you mate, I remember when I passed, great feeling isn't it!

You're going to be like a kiddie in a sweet shop  :D

MK1 GTi Cab '91' H Black

Back to the top
Cheers Mikey,
your right off tomorrow so off to try out some bikes
a feeling they will be a good bit better than the yamaha xj600 i learned on.
i dont know what to try first, 8O  like you say a kid in a sweet shop. :mrgreen:

Hobo

Just Dub It!!!!

Back to the top
Have you thought what sort of bike you want? i.e. sit up and beg, cruiser, bent right over (pardon the expression) etc

MK1 GTi Cab '91' H Black

Back to the top
I like the thought of a sports tourer. i plan to do a bit of a tour round scotland so cant be a sports buke but also want decent speed when still young enough to enjoy a bit of a scare.
When i hit 30ish in 5yrs i will get a big chopper but feel i want something a bit quicker till then.
As the learning bikes had no fairing and at 70 gives quite a lot of resistance to the wind i feel i want a little protection but have to see whats for sale.

What u think?

Hobo

Just Dub It!!!!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.