Skip navigation

MK1 Jetta Coupe 20vt

Back to the top

MK1 Jetta Coupe 20vt

Really good to see this thread back !!!

glad to see it progressing  nicely !!!

G60

Back to the top
Yeah great thread cant beat a 20vt in whatever guise, maybe not if you a purist though.

Back to the top
I'm still working on this as and when i can.
Roy at Autobarn has been good enough to lend me a ramp for a week to make working on the car much easier.

This must have been impossible on a track, it had tiny brakes and with less than 1/2 tank of fuel it would die round any bend.

All this is solved now.
The scary mk1 gti brakes have been replaced with G60 calipers and new drilled discs. I must add that the conversion brackets i brought over on the caddy forum are awesome and fit so well.

The whole fuel system has been changed now, new lines, flared any copper so the lines cant pop off, fitted a gti lift pump and sender in the tank.
Then i took the gravity fed pump that was mounted above the fuel tank behind the rear seats. Because of where it was mounted it was always screaming trying to scavenging for fuel. It was on an awesome bracket so kept all that, put the pump in a silicone hose, changed all the clips and re mounted it under the car.
It should be finished today and hopefully run nice and quiet.

Old boost pipe, odd sizes, small and a tad long.

New 63mm silicone shorter boost pipe.

My scrapyard:
1959 Karmann Ghia
1978 Merc 350SL
1981 Jetta Coupe
1985 bmw e30 chrome
1990 bmw e30 V8 touring
2000 bmw e39 M5
Wife - 2005 Mini D, 1959 Beetle

Back to the top
Nice work - and good to see your thread back too 8)

Met you briefly at Dubs at the Park so have seen it in the flesh too - it'll look a lot better with a bit of an interior I reckon…

Keep up the good work

Rich

Back to the top
what a great project
dont suppose you still have that cage still do you ?

Back to the top
Hi rich, which one were you :)
An interior will make the world of difference.

Yep i do have the cage and the door bars. When the car is done i will ebay everything, feel free to pm me with any offers for bits.

Spent a few hours on it again today.

Left over pipes in the engine bay now gone.

Inlet, boost pipe, water pipe out to be modified and painted. The alternator is being painted too, but need to lift the engine to get the last bolt out, what a sod.

With a lot of chopping i have managed to get a standard 1.8t air box in there too :).

While its all stripped down i'll put a new thermostat in, new belts, new starter motor because im fussy and want it to look all pretty.

This is the new boost pipe out the car.

My scrapyard:
1959 Karmann Ghia
1978 Merc 350SL
1981 Jetta Coupe
1985 bmw e30 chrome
1990 bmw e30 V8 touring
2000 bmw e39 M5

Back to the top

s1oww said

Hi rich, which one were you :)

When we were parked up prior to convoying to the show and you pulled up and asked whether you'd be welcome with your Jetta, I was the guy who (jokingly) said "oooh no absolutely not, it's not a real Mk1" just before you went on to explain about your thread :lol:

Didn't bump into you again once we were in the show though…

Rich

Back to the top
Good to see you carrying on the thread on here.

Pics from DATP

You going to have the interior back in by the 16th ;)
\/

James

Click for Berkshire Mk1's>>> Facebook

Back to the top
Ah yes i remember, good to meet you rich. We all know its a mk1 :)

It looks good in that pic james, hopefully i#ll have it all back in.

A bit more of an up date.

The headlamps were a state so they've been split, cleaned, re painted and re sealed. Good as new :)

Pop down to see Tim and he worked his magic on my inlet, the old home made throttle cable mount has been replaced with a lovely pretty one. No i havent welded a wedding ring to it :).
His attention to detail is just amazing, i wish i had the money to let tim, jelly, chris and the rest of phirm boys build me a car.

Old bracket

New one

Grill off and i've been sanding off the horrid red paint.

I tidied up some other welds and Roy cut and welded me in a outlet for the dump valve, so it actually works. The only thing we could find with a 25mm pipe was an old pair of bmx handlebars.

Lots of bits masked and ready to be painted and sat on some new wheels, plenty more to mask up.

Starting to paint a few bits

Started on the wiring, some of it is shocking. I have got another mk1 loom and splicing the two together. I'm soldering and heat shrinking it all properly.

My scrapyard:
1959 Karmann Ghia
1978 Merc 350SL
1981 Jetta Coupe
1985 bmw e30 chrome
1990 bmw e30 V8 touring
2000 bmw e39 M5

Back to the top
Cheers guys, it is getting there :)

Last week was a busy week, some really late nights to get it on the road for stoner.

Roy at Autobarn lent me his garage and my mate Jon helped tons.

Right it has had all the loom re done and wrapped in nylon. The old loom was rotten and the protective tube was full of water.
I have put it back to head lights with side lights in and indicators. Before it was wired up to have the side lights in the golf front bumper. I'm on the hunt for the correct front bumper.

Fuel pump is all in and working, wow its nice not having that thing wurrrrrring behind your head.

I hated the plate where it was so until i can find the correct front bumper i have got a golf front plate mount, re painted that black and fitted a normal number plate.

Sanded and the polished off all the red paint around the grill, re furbed lights in, also put orange indicators back on it.
It looks so much better now. Its amazing how much difference these little changes make.
Its annoying that one of my indicators has a crack in it, so i'll change that when i get a new one.

While the fuel lines were out another plates went in to repair the holes from the old cage.

I'm fussy so it had a new starter, thermostat, inlet gasket, orange dip stick tub and cambelt cover.

I've put some dynamat in the doors and rear quaters

Insulation in under where the carpet, this is only the first bit, plenty more to come. Its super light so wont effect the car at all.

Rear seats are from a mk2 Jetta and need to be chopped a bit to fit properly.

The base part needed to be chopped a lot, then the missus dad glued and strung it so it fits well.

Grab handles in

Original Handbrake handle and cover, early golf gear gater, surround and gear knob.

New cobra cub seats before a few tweeks

And seats after, got the standard mk2 Jetta seats and lifted the material and retrimmed the cobra seats. Its handy having that my missus dad is a trimmer :)

New dash along with all working air vents. Also fitted the newton grey carpet.
Also raided the Merc and the jetta now has my Becker headunit it. Bit over kill for a few cheap speakers, but looks the part in the std dash.

Single chrome wiper has gone, now it has a pair of proper LHD stock wipers which have been re painted black.
They were a bugger to get hold of.

e36 M3 rear speakers fitted in the rear shelf well.

My scrapyard:
1959 Karmann Ghia
1978 Merc 350SL
1981 Jetta Coupe
1985 bmw e30 chrome
1990 bmw e30 V8 touring
2000 bmw e39 M5

Back to the top
More stuff painted, in fact i've painted most things.

Shame we had to fit it all before it was properly dry to get it to Stoner, so when i get a chance a few bits need re doing.

The engine is back together, but i'm still not happy with it. It needs a lot of loving yet. I also need to put in some cold air feeds to the air box, it has no air at all at the moment.

New 165 x 50 tyres up front, they look much better on the front and get rid of the rubbing issues.

A quick top up with water :)

Random stoner shot

My scrapyard:
1959 Karmann Ghia
1978 Merc 350SL
1981 Jetta Coupe
1985 bmw e30 chrome
1990 bmw e30 V8 touring
2000 bmw e39 M5

Back to the top
It's coming on nicely :)

James

Back to the top
Its handy having a mate that has lots of M3 parts kicking about.
Some of the engine plastic met a jig saw and made a sweet rad cover. It couldnt be a better fit :)

Went to the local seat dealer to get a better battery cover, much nicer than the manky one on there before. Shame it has a little mark on it, but its a good fit so went with it.

Stripped all the brakes back down to try and work out what the moooooooooooing noise was. Turns out the brackets are a tiny bit too big and were rubbing on my disc when warm. Soi i've ground them back a little and that has helped, but need to take a bit more off.

Started to fit my gauges, my new rev counter didnt work, so i need to get another one so i'll finish it when it arrives.
I was struggling on a good place to put them, i settled on the corner of the lower dash tray. I started to cut them into the tray and then realised they were hard to see, so went with a single din gauge thingy half sunk into the tray.  I can easily cover them if i want them hidden.

Fitted the gps antenna, bit pointless, but as the head unit has it i might as well use it.

My scrapyard:
1959 Karmann Ghia
1978 Merc 350SL
1981 Jetta Coupe
1985 bmw e30 chrome
1990 bmw e30 V8 touring
2000 bmw e39 M5

Back to the top
How much was the battery cover & do you have a part number?

James

Back to the top
Hi, was £13 and no i dont have a part number.
I ordered one for a toledo and when it arrived they told me it had been changed. The one they had was massive and had no lid. The chap went out the back to see if he couldnt find me something.

I went to the Farnham seat dealer.

My scrapyard:
1959 Karmann Ghia
1978 Merc 350SL
1981 Jetta Coupe
1985 bmw e30 chrome
1990 bmw e30 V8 touring
2000 bmw e39 M5

Back to the top
A few pics from Bromely Motor Pageant, my car was on the Retro Cars stand next to my chums MK1 Polo now on R1 carbs.

Its a really good show, silly big.

My scrapyard:
1959 Karmann Ghia
1978 Merc 350SL
1981 Jetta Coupe
1985 bmw e30 chrome
1990 bmw e30 V8 touring
2000 bmw e39 M5

Back to the top
i want your Jetta about only thing that really tickles me to replace the MK1 with if i sold it, just so hard to find mk1 or mk2 converted to RHD and done with a good spec and look, really nice motor mate

I HATE CAR & SCENE SNOBS

Back to the top
Cheers dude.

The conversion has been really well done, i took it all apart just to check.

Mine is the only RHD in the country and as far as i know there are only 6 2 door jettas in the UK, so a tad rare :)

My scrapyard:
1959 Karmann Ghia
1978 Merc 350SL
1981 Jetta Coupe
1985 bmw e30 chrome
1990 bmw e30 V8 touring
2000 bmw e39 M5

Back to the top
What's the Rad cover off again mate as it looks really tidy.

Back to the top

s1oww said

Cheers dude.

The conversion has been really well done, i took it all apart just to check.

Mine is the only RHD in the country and as far as i know there are only 6 2 door jettas in the UK, so a tad rare :)

Was there another red 2 door at Stonor, I thought I saw pics of one on steel wheels?

James

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.