Skip navigation

back in black

Back to the top

back in black

ok few more pics

the painted floor pan

picked up some vectra 1.8 16v callipers just need to finish cleaning them and a lick off paint and new seals then get them bolted up

days few before rubber once again touches ground

Back to the top
lovely work here

i'm cleaning the interior of the car today trying to get it ready for paint

:)

Banner

Back to the top
ok few busy weeks at work so not a lot done but this is it so far, stripped the vx brake calipers down and repainted however the brush finish i wasnt happy with so stripped them down again and used a hobby spray gun seems to of worked quite well the finish is 100% but is ok for now got all the replacement seals ready to go, pics to come on them.

rear beam all back together and painted up looks good superflex bushes fitted

then bolted back up to the car,

assembled the front end, again all painted with superflex bushes

still looking for the right coilovers at the mo so kept the old ones on for now, the engine bay is on the list v soon
hopefullly back on its rubber next week.

Back to the top
Good going mate i may have one of these sort of builds coming up soon cant decide weather to go the whole hog hats off to you...

Back to the top
ok its been a few months since i was able to do anything but managed to get a few bits done new track rod ends, new boots, painted steering rack all fitted up, and i managed to buy the last two remaing steering rack brackets in the uk from vw there is no more,

after about 2 hours of discussion and a bit of trial and error finally managed to get the the car down off of the jig you really do need more than two people to do this safely.but hey hoe a few strained arms and faces later rubber on the ground

the pattern panel fits really well considering not much to do there, thank god, same with the rear bottom vallence simply cut tack fettle and jobs a good en, i hope. find out tomorrow.

Back to the top
Can't wait to get started on mine proper! Seeing this just wants it to be mine and waiting for me! Still have some work before I can start work like getting it in a barn!! Cars looking great, hats off to you!

Rich

Back to the top
cheers rich its been a long slog to get this far its been of its wheels for about 2 years now, work keeps getting in the way.

Back to the top
its been a while not to much more done managed to get the rear vallence on and tidyed up and sorted out some unexpected rust i found whilst poking around.

ok so the rear wasnt as easy as i thought but eventually got it on a lot os messing around, quite a few photos some better than others camera flash is not working now.

all done rubbed down and primered up now need a final look at as the primer has revealed some imperfections so will sort it in the next few days more pics to come, will soon be moving on to the front panel sometime this week.

Back to the top
Coming on great mate. You look like you have got well stuck in for someone with "no mechanical training"!

Back to the top
ok been a while, ill just let do the pics do the talking, have been helped out massivley buy the guys on this site, with a quite a few of the problems that ive encountered many thanks to those peeps.

All paint by the way was done by hand with rattle cans from halfords, (satin black) and different grades of wet and dry then polish compound and finally polish,  ALL BY HAND well and my little orbital sander.

Headlining, well the less said about this the better apart from get someone to help and cut little and often will have to redo this next year.

Ok with the paint sorted time for the engine, never actually intended to tackle this but thought sod it might aswell have a go.

port polished head.

Back to the top

well as best as i could with a multi dremel and the limited bits i had.

next was a phone call to bogg bro, carbs all cleaned and jetted, new mani

ive lost pics of the bottom end being done, so next stage was fitting it,  this was a hell of a job by myself even with the crane, at one point i thought i was playing twister with the car and well and truly got beat but after a lot of sweat and shouting at the car engine and crane they eventually played ball, i did however mark the bay quite a lot luckiliy the bay will be being re-done next summer,

now had a little issue with bogg bro water pipe fouling the oil dip stick and also didnt fit the rubber pipes, bit dissapointed with it really but a bit off heat and a breacker bar carefully bent it over and out the way all good now.

Back to the top
ELECTRICS hummmmmm, yes they are….

dash loom had to be sorted out so took inside and sat and followed every single wire from start to finish.

the engine bay was relativly simple with a bit of research lol.

more soon

Back to the top
Nice work chap, like the paint with rattle cans - good result - you must have a lot of patience!

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Nice work chap, like the paint with rattle cans - good result - you must have a lot of patience!

cheers mate, yeah takes a while to get it right the paint was done this summer but with all the moving around the garage and knocking into some of the pannels will need looking at next year got a compressor now so ill give it a go with proper stuff.

Back to the top
Very impressed!! More with your get on with it approach despite no "mechanical training". Very nice indeed, I've been searching high and low for a garage to do just the same, although I doubt ill tackle the welding though!!

Back to the top

Jinjar said

Very impressed!! More with your get on with it approach despite no "mechanical training". Very nice indeed, I've been searching high and low for a garage to do just the same, although I doubt ill tackle the welding though!!

Lol it was one thing i never expected untill it was stripped was going to pay some one but again got a few mates who weld asked them for advice, went and got a cheap welder and just had a go however i would definately invest in a decent welder dosent have to a big one, mine kept over heating and shutting down, could take hours just to get a relativly small bit done

my top tip for welding is it should sound like bacon sizzling in a pan thats what i got told,  only time will tell now if mine is any good.

Back to the top
oOk so after the engine was in and wiring done, it was time to start it, this is where things went pete tongue and i spent weeks trying to sort a few issues i had, overheating, gauges, over pressurising and a horrible knocking noise coming from the either the head or bottom end was hard to pin point.

Long story short- after having the head off 4 times (each time new bolts gasket) it turned out that the bottom end had had a right bodge job done on it the one thing i nev er checked as the lad i bought it off said he had rebuilt it and seemed at the time he knew what he was doing obviously not. the bottom end bearings were shafted and one of the camrod connectors had not been bolted up because the WOOD bolt being used didnt fit

any how almost chucked it all at this point had had just about enough of the whole thing, nothing is easy when you dont know what your doing lol.

any way had a spare engine 300 miles away sat in my garage at home, so off i went one weekend to try and see what i could managed to get done in 2 days

not bad i think for 2 days work, and that includes traveling from plymouth to nottingham to get the engine and then back down again to get it in, starting to get the hang of it.  The engine is a standard 1.8 16v this will be up for sale asoon as ive sorted my 9a out, it will come complete with r6 carbs and manifold and maybe even the exhaust mani if i get a another one for the 9a, so whatch out for that around about easter if not before.

all working, had a small air lock sorted that out , and had to change one of the temp senders as it was the issue with the gauge, all timed up and good to go, will get it fulled tuned once its mot'd

small chrome bumpers came in the post chucked them on with the old brackets which fit fine, and decided to put of extra sound proofing in. just used some laminate floor stuff mega light and will help a little.

thats about it now untill the new year and i get back to it, got some vdo gauges to put it and try and find some gti seats, got some tombstones that i made brackets for they sit a little high for my liking and really gti seats are amazing,

oh and the bonnet is not staying silver had a small accident a few months back and havent had time to get it sorted but that will be being re done. and maybe some banded 14 inch steelies, 7 front 8 rear,  and that will be that untill end of next summer when it comes in for a proper body shop session. will get videos up as soon as i can find my camera which i think is in the glove box, about 300 miles away so till the new year.

Back to the top
Been a while, due to work and lack of interest, happens every now and then, thank god it dosent last, im glad to say that the car is now up and running and fully motd etc etc, managed to purchase some wheels recently which will be chucking on soon as i have some rubber on them.

Back to the top
How are the carbs going? Noticed any difference?

Back to the top

supersport2 said

How are the carbs going? Noticed any difference?
im yet to get them on the rolling road to get set up properly but my mate has exactly the same set up and his is mental pulls like hell, and instant, hopefullyget set up next month when i can get it booked in, but it goes ok as is at the mo and that is set up from bogg bros so there set up is close just needs tweaking.

should be getting new exhaust system this week so get that on first.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.