Skip navigation

Series 1 GTi project

Back to the top

Series 1 GTi project

There's been some progress since the last update, but not a lot. After delving ever deeper I found that the FNS inner wing is completely shot, and if I'm honest at the time I was just getting to the end of my tether with it so left it as is for the winter.

I put all the interior back in and did a few other little jobs but it's still a long way off. I've had a slight change of heart though, I've recently started my own business selling cars & parts which has taken up a lot of my time, and have therefore decided to buy the parts I need to get her MOT'd and then I'm actually going to use it a little and enjoy it! Hopefully that will give me the inspiration to strip it all over again and do the little fiddly bits before it has a respray.

A deadline has also been set.. I'm due to move from the Midlands back down to Devon in the summer and want the mk1 driveable by then! Stuff still left to do is make up some new rigid brake pipes for the rear beam, buy new bushes, brake cylinders, wheels, tyres, and fuel lines, fit rear beam, replace inner wing, service engine, fit all the parts I've already bought (wheelbearings, brakes etc), sort out electrics, and probably a whole host of other things I've forgotten!

Does anyone know where to source the fuel lines from? The braided lines that go to the top of the airbox where the throttle valve is (I think that's right? So long since I've looked at it!!)

Back to the top
Also, if anyone is looking for any Mk3 Golf GTI parts let me know, currently stripping 3 of them.. And selling a Passat 1.8T.. Just putting it out there lol.

Back to the top

jusdubbin said

Flag mirror (I forget which side - Anyone got one?), tyres, CV joints, braided fuel lines, caliper seal kit, paint, bushes. Also, can't seem to find any rear seatbelts.. Can anyone enlighten me if it had any from the factory? It's a '79 series 1 GTi.

As standard it wouldn't have had seatbelts from the factory, mine is a 79 GTI any didn't have any but have since been retrofitted.  You should have two blanking plates in the parcel shelf supports where the seatbelts would go.

Flag mirror would be LHS, RHS should have remote adjustable one.

Spotted this dash tray on ebay that might interest you (not mine)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Mk1-Golf-S1-Passenger-Dash-Under-Tray-/140689647596?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item20c1c1a7ec#ht_500wt_922

Back to the top
Really? Awesome, that helps a lot then! I have bolt holes on the c pillars which threw me but if it didn't have them then I won't worry!

I'm going to have to dig out the mirrors as I can't remember what I have and don't have, I think I had 2 different styles but can't remember.

As for the lower dash, cheers!

Back to the top
New update..

I lifted the tarpaulin up… And then put it back down again, exhausting stuff.

On a more serious note, after nearly 2 years the V5 has arrived and it is actually officially a Golf GTi and not a 'DEMM' or a Vauxhall! Result.

Back to the top
You must be knackered after all that work! I shouldn't laugh tho, more than I've done to mine lately!

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
that is a very nice base for a resto mate… looks like a solid shell and all the difficult bits to source are already there….

you've done well with that purchase….. good luck.

i would say oem+ as well……

1980 Series 1 GTI (gone now .. what a mistake selling her!)
1979 Series 1 LD - the Mandarin Dragon … gone as well. oh dear.

Back to the top
Any progress on this? Or would you sell it?

Regards Volkswarren

X2 1983 A REG EW CAMPAIGN In WHITE(Awaiting full rebuild solid body) :thumbs: & T Reg S1 GTi Project, Still Looking for Series 1 GTi's or a 16S Oettinger to restore (Complete Cars only)  or an A reg Lhasa Green or White Gti to restore, also consider  Black, Red or Blue, Also Golf Driver Project Wanted anything considered WHY

Back to the top
 :ninja: No progress as yet, but oddly enough I have got my mojo back for this over the last week or two and might actually try and get it on the road this summer! Watch this space :thumbs: (yeah, we've all heard that before haven't we!)

Back to the top
keep it standard mate, you don't see these for sale anymore. you will be surprised what you would get for it with an mot and 100 percent standard, imagine if it was restored…

Back to the top
Dont suppose you have a driverside s1 wing as your selling it? 

Regards Volkswarren

X2 1983 A REG EW CAMPAIGN In WHITE(Awaiting full rebuild solid body) :thumbs: & T Reg S1 GTi Project, Still Looking for Series 1 GTi's or a 16S Oettinger to restore (Complete Cars only)  or an A reg Lhasa Green or White Gti to restore, also consider  Black, Red or Blue, Also Golf Driver Project Wanted anything considered WHY
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.