Skip navigation

Series 1 GTi project

Back to the top

Series 1 GTi project

Well, after weeks of waiting it's finally arrived. It's currently sporting 16 years worth of dust but is in fairly good nick really. Came with a fairly large spares package too..

It's a series 1 1.6 gti 5 speed, '79 on a 'V' and has been dry stored since '94. Needs a fair amount of work but there isn't really much rot anywhere, nothing that can't be sorted certainly! Comments welcomed  :)

Started stripping it all down and cleaning a few bits up..

Back to the top
looks like a nice project mate, she doesnt look bad nick either, good luck with the resto

chris

p.s. giz ya steering wheel lol

Chris

Banner

Back to the top

aircooled1968 said

looks like a nice project mate, she doesnt look bad nick either, good luck with the resto

chris

p.s. giz ya steering wheel lol

Cheers buddy. As for the steering wheel, make me an offer!  :wink:

Back to the top
whats the plans with it :)

Banner

Back to the top
Plans are strip it right down, waxoil underneath, bare metal respray (not decided what colour yet though) and everything else will either be replaced or powdercoated for that factory fresh look. All brakes will be refurbed, new ARB's, polybushes etc. Engine will be rebuilt. Some decent fully adjustable coilies and 13's should freshen up the outside and Porsche Tombstones and a new steering wheel of some sort should do the interior!

Looks like i'm gunna be a busy boy!!

Back to the top
Looks like a great base for a project - nice work so far 8)

Rich

Back to the top
Cheers for the comments guys, work over the last day or two has been pretty much non existant but should be picking up an engine crane at the weekend so the engine will be out ready to be rebuilt, then I can sort out the rust scab in the 'bay and waxoil underneath.

Back to the top
Yep keep up the good work. Would be a shame to drift too far away from originality, it being a pretty intack early 1600 GTI.

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
Looking good mate, I hopefully got a set of em tombstones today find out if they're still there tommorow :wink:

1.3 Driver - 1.8t in progress
http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=56551

Daily driver : e36 325 tdi se / slammed on konis and bbs rco401's
Daily offroader : discovery 1 6" lift monster :D

Back to the top
Nice project do what you want with it mate your car make it your dream one.

Back to the top
Cheers for the comments lads. I'm a real fan of OEM+ so it's going to be uber clean first and foremost, with a few choice mods that will only enhance the look. Unfortunately the project's been put aside recently due to other commitments so I need to pull my finger out a bit and do some more, engine's almost out, just got the fuel tank, brakes and subframes to come off and then it's pretty much completely stripped, then it can be prepped for paint and all the running gear either rebuilt, refurbed or replaced.

Next thing is to try and decide on what colour to spray it.. Currently thinking somewhere along the lines of either Black, Alpine White, Candy White, or Porsche Seal Grey..

Back to the top
So, after more than a year of doing nothing to the old girl I've finally decided to pull my finger out..

Spurred on from Edition38 this is what I started with on the following monday…

Not going to bore you all with endless pictures but since then it now has a full interior minus drivers seat, headlining (needs a new one) and lower dash (I don't appear to have one). Outside I've stripped off the rear beam, cleaned off all the rust and undersealed it, shot blasted the sliding part of the front calipers and sprayed them in black high temp paint, same with the rear drum backing plates, front suspension is off too and hubs will be off tomorrow.

Bits I've bought..

Wheelbearings, brakes, all new belts, oils, filters etc for engine, underseal.

Bit's I need..

Flag mirror (I forget which side - Anyone got one?), tyres, CV joints, braided fuel lines, caliper seal kit, paint, bushes. Also, can't seem to find any rear seatbelts.. Can anyone enlighten me if it had any from the factory? It's a '79 series 1 GTi.

As it was yesterday.. (Now has no front or rear suspension)…

Back to the top
looks like a lovely little (big) project to get stuck into there

Back to the top

jusdubbin said

So, after more than a year of doing nothing to the old girl I've finally decided to pull my finger out..

Spurred on from Edition38 this is what I started with on the following monday…

has that effect on me too, wanna get out there and do some more to my car…
the silver series 1 gti was superb, my personal fave.

some more inspiration for you…

1983 mars red gti
1984 mars red gti
1994 golf vr6 - gone but not forgotten
2005 mk5 gti family wagen

Back to the top
^^^

VERY nice!!!

Back to the top
lovely motor mate will look stunning when its done,i so prefer the early dash,good luck mate  :wink:

Back to the top
i really want a mint original series 1 gti in Mars red, will be very envious if you get this mint :)

Back to the top
keep it original!!

Remember, VW made the last car in 1992. After that they started making vehicles.

Back to the top
looks a solid base

Back to the top
Come on max! Any progress?

Mk1 Golf Gti Abf conversion Project
Mk2 Golf Gti 16v
Mini Cooper S R53 (Daily)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.