Skip navigation

Q's: The best place to buy a MkI OR Where did you get yours?

Back to the top

Q's: The best place to buy a MkI OR Where did you get yours?

Peeps,

So I am thinking of buying myself the car that I have wanted since about the age of 7 :lol: . Am looking for a tin-top MKI in black (preferable)  :twisted: . Just wondering where everybody has bought their current/past cars, throught this forum, through other forums, pistonheads, autotrader etc etc.

Anway answers on a postcard, all feedback is welcome, would like to know what the general concensus is on where to buy and from who etc?

Cheers

Sambo

Back to the top
I got mine on ebay.  Be prepared to travel anywhere in the U.K if your dead set on a tintop in a certain colour

Back to the top
I found mine advertised on here, Black 83 tintop.  Love it.

J

Back to the top
I bought all of mine (past & present on good old ebay)
You get everything on there, enthusiasts, people who
have had them from new, traders the lot……….

On here, or "similar" sites you only really get enthusiasts, people
with a bit more knowledge….. so you get a better car, but pay
more……. obviously…….

At the end of the day, when you see "the" car, you will know and
will buy it, if in doubt leave it out………….

Best of luck with the search…….

Dib.

Golf MK1 GLi Golf MK2 GTi Golf MK3 GTi Galaxy 2.3 Ghia X Seat Inca 1.9 Diesel Tomorrow is almost over, today went by so fast The only thing to look forward too is the past.

Back to the top

Back to the top
car and classic website…… get the occasional gem that someone doesnt know what they really selling…….  8)

Back to the top
Cabby = Ebay

Tintop = Edition 38

Dont ask what your club can do for you, but what can you do for your club?

Back to the top
Strangely I brought mine off the golf mk2 owners club site :s lol used that back when I had my jetta, had to seel that as it was costing me too much money, my mk1 showed up on there got the train from nottingham down to bristol to fetch it so its a good job it was a good runner nothing like a 3 hour drive to break in a new car haha

Back to the top
i used ebay to find cars, then go and see them and try and do a deal out of ebay.

But found my cabby on autotrader, also used piston heads to look etc

Good luck

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
my work place car park.
put a note on his windscreen and got a call in the afternoon telling me he was just about to put it up for sale

Back to the top
ebay mk1 golf cab 83 with kjet coversion 900

mk1 owners club-1992 clipper cab minter 2900

if you want a bargain its the ebay all the way, if your looking for a well looked after mk1 its gotta be on here, there are some lovely cars for sale on here, although i did see a beautiful porsche brown mk1 1300 on the bay for 3000 which caught my eye, if i won the lottery i would have e fleet of mk1's

VOTE FOR MY CAR ON COTM :)
92 clipper, chrysler red, tt interior, 16" splits, slammed!

Back to the top
The GTI came from Autotrader mag, years before website version. Cabrio found on ebay but bought privately.

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
Cheers again lads and lasses, theanks for all the feedback. Spudfingers, cheers mate thanks for all of the links. Some interesting results, fleabay seems to be the place to go for Cabrio's, here and edition38 for enthusiasts previous owned cars. Willl keep ye posted and if any knows of a Black 3 door tintop for sale gimme a "heads-up".

Cheers again folks.

Sam

Back to the top
where are you in ireland?

Most cars on ebay are in england so it would be a pain for you to have to travel, only to be dissapointed, and you'd more likely say yes to something you wouldn't if it was 5 miles from your house.

I travelled 400 miles and saw a heap…but convinced myself I would clean it up nice….I'm real glad my dad was there!!

Try and find a local classic car club? Or plan to go see 3 or 4 and come over for a weekend of car shopping?

'83 Black GTI Cab on BBS RAs - DreamBoat 3000'

Resto = http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=67552

Back to the top
WeeTony,

I hear ya mate, I always travel to the UK for my cars (having bought the last 4 there). Like you say I will need to keep my head on my shoulders if I do see something I like. I have family over in the UK anyway so I would look to make a bit of a jolly up out of it and maybe view a few at the same time.

Will let you know if I see something of interest and will give you a heads-up.

Now that I think of it have a look at these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/mk1-golf-gti-16v-with-leather-seats_W0QQitemZ170472677925QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutomobiles_UK?hash=item27b0f6a225

AND

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MK1-GOLF-GTI-BLACK-VOLKSWAGEN_W0QQitemZ260573747917QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutomobiles_UK?hash=item3cab67dacd

AND

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1983-VOLKSWAGEN-GOLF-GTI-BLACK-MK1_W0QQitemZ250604965795QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutomobiles_UK?hash=item3a59384fa3

Any thoughts?

Cheers Mate.

Sambo

Back to the top
im not really clued up with my tin tops or ever looked at any with the intention of buying.

Obviously it depends on whether you are looking for something modified or not, out of those 3 although the first one has had lots done to it, i'd be tempted on the last one, looks from my limited knowledge fairly original, not sure if that price is a bit high though , good luck :-)

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
the first one looks good if you can get for for 2k/2.5k

VOTE FOR MY CAR ON COTM :)
92 clipper, chrysler red, tt interior, 16" splits, slammed!

Back to the top
Lads thanks for the feedback, interesting that we all are in agreement (more or less) on the first one. Don't mind if it has been modded, within reason I think.

Anybody else any preferances?

Cheers Dudes

Sambo

Back to the top
I like number 3 Sambo - though 1 is interesting - I know cars but not an expert on the tin tops tbh

I got lucky with mine on the bay - hard to say till you see it up close in person and suss out the seller, that can be as important as anything

Good luck with it

86 Cabby 1.6 auto - Super cool daily retro various

Back to the top
got one of mine from the scrap yard it was that bad i got it for 78 quid . another one came my way it was quite rough and a non starter [ was easy sorted but never told him  :twisted: ]he eventualy gave it to me for free to avoid a divorce . i still have both cars . the scrapper i have had 8 yr the free one about 4 yr .
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.