Skip navigation

My Mk1 16v Lysholm charged project

Back to the top

My Mk1 16v Lysholm charged project

Just over a year ago I bought this 16v G60 Mk1 with the idea of changing the roof skin (to get rid of the glass sunroof) and having it painted…

Instead what I did was buy a new shell and completely build one from scratch using all new parts.

Here's the progress so far

Back to the top
Rough spec list:

PG bottom end fully rebuilt
Custom race spec KR cylinder head
RS2 Pistons
Wossner Con Rods
Schrick Baffled sump with windage tray
BBM alloy fuel rail
BBM Screw charger - 50mm pulley
BBM howitzer intake
Bosch Red tops
Custom RS2 inlet manifold (fly by wire throttle body and shortened to 4 cylinder)
E30 Rad
Custom/Fabricated boost/intake pipes
Stainless 4-2-1 exhaust manifold/custom exhaust
O2A Gearbox fitted with custom gear ratios and a Wavetrac differential

KW Varient 3 Coilovers
G60 calipers
Tarox 40 groove disks and fast road pads

Electric Mk2 Recaros with re-trimmed bench to match
CAE tower shifter
new headlining
new door cards
new carpet
new glass
all new window rubbers etc
Everything shotblasted and powdercoated or replaced with new.

Going to look more or less like a standard series 2 Mk1 Gti (original vinyl, rear windscreen wiper, all badges, plastic arch trims etc).

Back to the top
Amazing mate, keep the pics coming :)

Back to the top
This is going to be an awsome mk1

1983 black gti ELD380Y 

Back to the top
Looking very very clean !!

Have you got any more pics to show how the engine breather was done ?
Yours has an 8V bottom end (being a PG) so I would be interested to see what the engine breather setup is.

At the moment mine is using a new beetle breather on the 16V cam cover into a catch tank, but this is not enough at higher revs, it just fills the catch tank rapidly :-(

The guys on VWVortex suggest drilling through the rear charger mount into the block and make a breather similar to what the 16V block has - just contemplating what to do.
Another suggestion is to baffle the cam cover to stop the cam lobes flicking oil and drill an extra breather in the cam cover.

How loud is that charger - can you live with it every day ? I saw a vid of one running on the BBM site and it sounded like a low flying aircraft !!

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top

lhasadreams said

Looking very very clean !!

Have you got any more pics to show how the engine breather was done ?
Yours has an 8V bottom end (being a PG) so I would be interested to see what the engine breather setup is.

At the moment mine is using a new beetle breather on the 16V cam cover into a catch tank, but this is not enough at higher revs, it just fills the catch tank rapidly :-(

The guys on VWVortex suggest drilling through the rear charger mount into the block and make a breather similar to what the 16V block has - just contemplating what to do.
Another suggestion is to baffle the cam cover to stop the cam lobes flicking oil and drill an extra breather in the cam cover.

How loud is that charger - can you live with it every day ? I saw a vid of one running on the BBM site and it sounded like a low flying aircraft !!

Here's a pic of the engine from before, it used a Mocal catch tank.

The charger is very loud but you can silence it by relocating the throttle body - this isn't my daily car though so i'm not bothered about the noise.

Eventually I will change to a 16v Turbo setup anyway.

Back to the top
Cheers mate,

That pretty much confirms it, you have a breather pipe going from the block near the rear of the charger to the catch tank - your charger mount and block must of been drilled to take it.
Also I see that you cam cover is not vented at all - this also confirms what the VWVortex guys have said, the block breather is enough.

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
Few more pics of todays progress:

Back to the top
Wow that is really clean :-)

Thanks for the breather info, I don't suppose that you have a pic of the front of the block to show where it was drilled (and the rear charger mount) ?

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
I've had to buy a new block as the #2 bore is quite badly scored so i'll take a pic for you.

Back to the top
That will be really good of you.

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
Will defo be watching this! Good stuff mate!

Mk1 Golf Gti Abf conversion Project
Mk2 Golf Gti 16v
Mini Cooper S R53 (Daily)

Back to the top
I don't think I would ever want to take it out the garage if I made a Golf like that!

Back to the top
Small update, engine built and inlet test fitted.

Now all the parts need to be sent to the powder coaters :)

Back to the top
Excellent build Gordie. I wondered what had happened to this car, I used to see it quite a bit around Sherburn. Are you still in North Yorks? Did you have the Mint green Mk2 VR6?

Mk1 Golf floor mats - for tin top and cabriolet - Zero7796 17298Five

Back to the top

GavB95 said

Excellent build Gordie. I wondered what had happened to this car, I used to see it quite a bit around Sherburn. Are you still in North Yorks? Did you have the Mint green Mk2 VR6?

No that's not me, that's either Matt Pett (Guy who originally built the green car) or the guy I got it from (although he was based near Southam)….I'm from Nottinghamshire.  :)

Back to the top
Ah right, The first time I saw your car was when it hammered past me on the A64 - it was like a bullet!

Looking forward to seeing the progress.  :D

Back to the top
you're confusing gordon with Gordie there too. the mint VR went to a lad in bradford a few years back.

Back to the top
Not confused mate, just wondered if it was the same guy Gordy/Gordie and as both cars used to live in my area. I knew the Mk2 had been sold on way back.

Back to the top
yeah, the mk1 from garforth, the mk2 from pocklington. but def diff people.
There are too many online users to list.