Skip navigation

Given up smoking :-(

Back to the top

Given up smoking :-(

Im now on day 5 of giving up smoking and finding hard to keep myself busy :banghead:  :dontknow:

Any tips from ex smokers?

Ever growing range of new mk1 golf parts www.classic-vw.co.uk

Back to the top
All in the head mate im sure you will fine, I was a 40 a day smoker and found it easy. But saying that i was a £500 a week smack head when i was younger and gave that up that WAS hard !!!!!!!!!

Good luck and be carefull what you eat i put on 4st when i gave up, i have never met you so you might need some extra weight on you if not as i say beware.

Back to the top
how about trying to find me a series 1 speedo cable? that should take up some time :)

VOTE FOR MY CAR ON COTM :)
92 clipper, chrysler red, tt interior, 16" splits, slammed!

Back to the top
thats the trouble with smack.....its a bit moorish

VOTE FOR MY CAR ON COTM :)
92 clipper, chrysler red, tt interior, 16" splits, slammed!

Back to the top
Take up smoking? Oh no, that's wrong isn't it - sorry.
Find something for your hands to do - oh god, that's even worse :(

My old man probably smoked 30 a day from the age of 15, and he gave up three and a half years ago when he was 56. Used patches to start, dropped em after a couple of months and hasn't looked back. You'll sort it, just don't eat like a troffer.  

Go for a run, or walk around the block if lungs ain't up to much. Clears the head and can think about other stuff. My old man was fine, well until he got run over out jogging one day. Ok, that's not true.

Just lay off the cakes

Back to the top
LOL i have given up a few things before, almost od'd on narcotics around 10 years ago which was a wake up call. stoped that there and then.

Just finding it really hard to keep myself busy and not wanting to have a smoke.

Back to the top
go to a nudist beech, you won't smoke for so many different reasons, you'll see how wrinkly people get, you'll not have pockets for your fags, you'll not have a light (neither will anyone else), and risk of burns (low but still there).

as rubbish as this idea actually is, you probably spend the next 30 mins searching the net looking for your nearest one

Back to the top
LOL i could get the mrs to hide the lighter

as rubbish as this idea actually is, you probably spend the next 30 mins searching the net looking for your nearest one

Naa

Back to the top
I am 16 weeks fag free.

I think you should try and do more at the same time, like radically change your lifestyle.

If you're concentrating on not smoking, you'll go mental, and be smoking again soon.  

If you're concentrating on not smoking, eating healthier, and running twice a week, or doing some exercise every morning or night, it's only a small part of your new life, and so it's not as big a deal.

easier said than done, obviously, but the first step is the hardest so well done.

I had one of those niquitin mini pill things, one was enough, i nearly puked, and haven't smoked since.  Saved about £400 in cigarettes, in a wee money bank, and okay, I've put on 2 stone, but it's starting to come off again.

Do not have "just one to see if I can control myself".

Good luck.

P.S. There seems to be a growing pattern of mk1 owners and drug abuse……cooooincidence? ?

:)

Peace.

'83 Black GTI Cab on BBS RAs - DreamBoat 3000'

Resto = http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=67552

Back to the top
Im trying to remember if there were ever any VW pill around back in the day, i dont think so plenty of those bloomin Mitzis and i think i did a Merc one one.

Back to the top
P.S. There seems to be a growing pattern of mk1 owners and drug abuse……cooooincidence? ?

LOL its the next progression

Back to the top
Good luck funk, stick with it. I'm gonna be embarking on the same mission in the next couple of weeks, giving up when the cricket season starts so I can combine the exercise and keeping busy bit as don't do gyms!!

I no longer have the Mk1!! I now whizz round in a Black 1990 3dr Mk2 GTi 8v but the roof doesn't fold back when the sun shines :o

Back to the top
i did it or 5 months but put on a lot of weight so started again, feel a bit of an idiot now but atleast he weights back off .. really need to do it again why not start a givin up smoking section so we can support each other ?

Matt - good luck mate

Back to the top
howzit you guys good luck in giving up smoking  i did coz i had heart attack in october and had big bypass 18 jan . not had a smoking for 6 months now .and all that money i can spend on my mk1 cabby im saving £200 a month .but dont tell the wife lol

good luck guys i know it hard lol

i'am a mk1 golf nutter RHODEISAN RIDGEBACK mk1 cabbys rule and you drool

Back to the top

dek said

howzit you guys good luck in giving up smoking  i did coz i had heart attack in october and had big bypass 18 jan . not had a smoking for 6 months now .and all that money i can spend on my mk1 cabby im saving £200 a month .but dont tell the wife lol

good luck guys i know it hard lol

My old man smoked 40 a day… he had a heart attack, quadruple bypass and they told him if he kept smoking he'd die… stopped straight off.  He still craves one sort of…. if he smells it…. but would never touch one again.

With the smoking ban, nights out should be easier.  Before the ban, if you smelt smoke and were drunk you'd give in  :dontknow:

Good luck with it mate…. hypnosis may work for you?!?

Never smoked as I'm 31 and still holding out that I might still grow a bit lol

Back to the top
that  what i had a quadrule bypass in jan and im 38 had a heart of a 78 year old man and if i did not have the op i would be die .i have a blood clot in lung after the op

Back to the top
That's harsh mate but at least niw you've got a second chance.

Back to the top
yes mate but all i want to do when i came out of hospitol, was to drive my car  couldt drive 4 5/6 weeks its note special but nut but it same pic on the facebook site

Back to the top
I gave up a 20 a day habit back in october, was walking past boots one day on way to buy some fags and thought stuff it I'll buy something to help stop with my fiver.  Went in, and all they had for a fiver was their own brand chewing gum.

I'd tried the branded gums in the past and tbh they are foul, but gave the boots stuff a go and its spot on - never looked back since, did about 3-4 weeks of chewing their gum, then weened myself onto normal chewing gum for when I wanted a fag, until one day I noticed I hadnt chewed anything at all, and havent since.

Good luck dude, its well worth it, the amount of cash it frees up is scary!

Back to the top

rossirvine said

Good luck dude, its well worth it, the amount of cash it frees up is scary!

Hopefully enough for a Weber carb off CrazyQuiff  :lol:  :lol:

That's my plan / target  :dontknow:

Also living to old age is a good incentive as well  :wink:

I no longer have the Mk1!! I now whizz round in a Black 1990 3dr Mk2 GTi 8v but the roof doesn't fold back when the sun shines :o
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.