Skip navigation

mohair or vinyl and why please

Back to the top

mohair or vinyl and why please

as above really, money is not an option so i can have mohair but unsure weather its the right option

Back to the top
mohair all the way ! vinyl sucks … cracks & looks cheap well worth the tiny bit extra !

Back to the top
Having both, id go for mohair every time, purely on looks. Material has a deep colour to it and looks at more plush.

practicality wise youd probably go for vinyl
Mohair,
   more difficult to keep clean and proofed on week to week basis.
   local cats tend to be attracted to it.

Vinyl
     does crack on side but not for quite a number of years.
     can use harsher chemicals on to clean and needs less cleaning.

1988 1.8 carb Golf Clipper

Back to the top
wish i had gone for mohair dont do cream colour so had to have vinyl . lol i us babym oil to keep it soft and stop cracking or wd40 to

i'am a mk1 golf nutter RHODEISAN RIDGEBACK mk1 cabbys rule and you drool

Back to the top
Mohair if you keep it garaged when out of use….downside as already said is cats love it!!

Vinyl is more 'original' and essential if your going concourse - but as for cleaning my mohair hood is 3 years old and looks like new - because I don't clean it!!! Just needs a vacuum and a brush, any stains just spot clean with microfibre cloth and some warm water.

Back to the top
so vinyl if i wont a easy life, as long as its treated every now and thn, and mohair if i would the better look and hard life when it comes to keeping it that way

have i got that right or have misinturpeted that ??

Back to the top
great thread - I was wondering this too :)

Back to the top
I had a black vinyl on mine but it was so faded it looked grey no matter how many products I applied to it. I decided to bite the bullet and go for a mohair and I can say that I am so much happier with it. As someone has already said it has that deep dark new look to it and all I do it once a month on a nice warm day give it a spray with autoglym cabriolet care and it is spot on. The rain beads off it like glass. Its 18 months old now and not been garaged since the new roof and it still looks like the day I got it on.

So I am going for mohair all the way,

But yeah.

1992 Pearl Green Clipper Cab - 16v (9a block, KR head, GSXR600 Carbs) :)

Back to the top
Mohair for me it just looks better :D

Back to the top
vinyl if looked after right will out last a mohair its also easier to remover bird poop from

Ever growing range of new mk1 golf parts www.classic-vw.co.uk

Back to the top
so vinyl if i wont a easy life, as long as its treated every now and thn, and mohair if i would the better look and hard life when it comes to keeping it that way

have i got that right or have misinturpeted that ??

Back to the top
Yea pretty much.

Also if fitting yourself the mohair will be a lot easier.

Ever growing range of new mk1 golf parts www.classic-vw.co.uk

Back to the top
as it stands, 12-4 in favour of the mohair,

i think i've made my mind up, and would like to say some of you seem crazy wonting mohair after saying its abit of a pain to keep clean, but i can understan that you would still wont one, but i think for myself i'm gonna vinyl for a few reasons

i'm not the grestest when it comes to cleaning my car, mohair seems to much hassle to look after,

we have to many cats in my close
i don't have a garage

i vaule all your answers on this one, but sadly ben put off mohair, which was in honesty my 1st option until now, i'm glad i open this poll and topic,

please if you have not answered to this poll and question, pleas answer anyway as i'm still not 100% and could still swing it back but seems unlikly due to not being that person who cleans and polish my car weekly and i think mohair needs that from what i have seen here

Back to the top
Can I just say that I never did much to either my old or my new mohair roof on my old cabby, and that I've found the vinyl roof seems to require more care to stop it from cracking.

I'd go for mohair every time (and will be when I need to replace this roof on the current cabby). My old mohair roof stayed waterproof despite the water not balling on it as it did on the new one, and the only problem was when some bastard slashed the new roof just a few months after it went on. I had it fixed, but I think a vinyl roof would have hidden the scar a bit more. Mohair still my preference though.

Life in the French Alps: <a href="Le Franco Phoney: All things French in La Clusaz, Annecy and Haute Savoie">www.lefrancophoney.com</a>

Back to the top
hit new problems on this i spoke to vic at nothren hoods and his really nice honest guy, but to honest and has put the spanner in the works i wonted just to replace hood, got good 2nd hand frame no rust but split insert, i've read the head liner can be done after but good old vic said this could be done but its not worth risking it on a new hood goes wrong your back to the start, they surgested if my 2nd hand window frame starts rotting out in a year same problem again you risk losing the new hood, then the rear tension cable worth replacing

before the etcs i was gonna get the hood done by a trimmer out of hours had 2nd thoughts on this no come back if the bloody thing goes pear shape after a few months etc for mohair this option was gonna cost little over 300

nothren car hoods its 420 which i'm quite happy with when so many off you have used them with no complaints etc

with etcs
30 to fit new head linning and 140 for the head linning

new stainless frame with insert 170

if i get new frame might as well get seal another 35

tension cable another 20

so the grand total to get it all done at once

815 if i ain't mis counted

i feel robbed what do i do hold out or skimp on the frame roll on one i got that would  make it 610 then wish i had new frame please help

Back to the top
nice thread,

Just noticed a little tear in my vinyl hood today its not bad but could do with  a new one just for the funs of paying loads of money.

Time for some mohair action!
Anyone know any good 'hooders' in the South East / Bedford?

Cheers

Back to the top
northren hood come highly recomened and will travel and not to bad on money

Back to the top

since_1983 said

nothren car hoods its 420 which i'm quite happy with when so many off you have used them with no complaints etc

Your price = 420 is that with call out @ your home fitting? I noticed you in east sussex too and they are in cheshire.

Back to the top
no not on drive way thats at a workshop they use which is less then 10 mins away, um ring them and speak to vic nice bloke he will advise you where your local workshop they use is

Back to the top
right - o

Just wondered because i was quoted 445 fitted in bedford. Must make up for petrol money. cheers
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.