Skip navigation

What engine should i go for!?

Back to the top

What engine should i go for!?

Hi guys

I have a 1989 golf clipper mk1 with a 1.6 engine in; originally was a 1.8 but the last guy had it changed, i presume he blew it or something.

It's a carb model with a 2e2. Also, I have larger wheels and original suspension, so weight of a new engine shouldn't be an issue.

I was wondering what the easiest engine conversion would be to gain some extra power? What are the other things I need to take into consideration? Would a more powerful engine mean I need to get a new gearbox (mine's a 020)? New suspension is on my list anyway, as are uprating the discs and pads at the front and renewing the drum brakes at the back.

I'm a beginner in all this so an engine replacement with the least possible problems would be best!!

Cheers for your time

Downs

Back to the top
your best bets doin one thats been dome before a kr on carbs would be pretty simple , no extra electrix ether

Back to the top
16v abf conversion anything less and your better off just buying a gti

Back to the top
abf? what does that stand for?

I'm presuming i'm going to need a new gearbox as well for this, as mine is an 020 and the ratios are such that i am doing 60mph at 3000rpm

Back to the top
currently looking at buying a 16v 2.0ltr 9a engine, would that be a fairly easy fit? What would be the issues with the gearbox?

Back to the top
abf`s a 2l 16v engine code out of a mk3 gti - one step up from the "kr" (1.8 16v) - abf`s also electronic injection rarther than mechanical (k-jet) that the kr comes with ;)

Back to the top
personaly the way fuels going i'd consider a tdi there fast thes days and even faster in a light mk1 and much more eco, just a thought

Back to the top
how hard would a tdi be? Has anyone done one before?

Also, with a 2.0 16v 9a, would it be possible to run it as a carb (with some nice new carbs) or would you be better getting the injection system for it?

Back to the top
Infact, definately considering the carb route; looks much simpler me thinks. Can anybody recommend any products to look at? Second hand options would be best as I am on a budget!

Back to the top
reading bits and bobs says the tdi is a bit of a pain to fit, personal experinece the 16v is just a big bugga to fit and little bit fiddle,

if you after a easy life just buy a scraper of a mk2 gti 8v and its really easy job from there

Back to the top
physicaly the tdi goes in fine lol, two of the engine mounts dont need changing - its just all the little bits that go with it. ebay`s your best bet just keep an eye or a scrappy`s try find a donnor mk3 16v that runns then just swap everything and then theres no chance of it not running when its in  :lol:

are you doing the conversion yourself?

Back to the top
I'd like to do the conversion myself, but it's going to be a while before I do; got to collect all the parts up. I've then got to buy a cheap runner while she's off the road, and also while the engine is out I plan on sprucing up the engine bay and components. Realisticly it's going to be  while before I've got all the parts, the time, and the knowledge!!

Did I mention my car was a clipper? Apparently that throws allsorts of other little niggling things in to deal with.

So here are my options so far;

9a 2.0 16v with a carb (carb cheaper to fit and easier - any suggestions on carb!?)

9a 2.0 16v with k-jet (k-jet sounds the easiest to fit - anyone have a list of the bits I need to get this running?)

or get a mk3 16v tdi and transfer the whole lot accross (intesting, anyone done this before?)

Back to the top
Sorry to bother you again, what does ABF stand for? is that the engine code?

After looking into it a bit more could anyone answer for me the following;

what gearbox is best suited for a 2.0 16v 9a that will go in my clipper?

is a 1.8 16v easy to fit into a clipper than a 2.0?

would k-jet be the best injection system and what part will i need?

cheers for your help guys

Back to the top
Are you sure you don't want to try out a convertible GTI and see if its enough power? It would save an awful lot of hassle to simply buy one of them, if its enough performance. I had a 1.6 carb convertible (mine was auto though) and it was fine on performance but not sporty. Maybe it suits the car and today's congested roads better like that?

Back to the top
Well, the reason I'm interested is a may have a cheap 2.0 16v 9a available to me. Although the performance of my 1.6 is fine the fact that it is carb means is a bugger to set up and the weather often seems to cause running problems. I know you can set these up better (any maybe this is the route i should take), but I would also like to cruise at better speeds without taxing the engine so much (new engine, new gearbox, or maybe just different gearbox?).
If I buy the engine and it's seems like too much hassle I will just strip it and fix it up nice and sell it. If it looks do-able without too much dollar thrown at it then I may go for it. I'm not a petrol head, just fancy a better and easier top speed and consistent runner!

Back to the top
Infact, judging by what I've said above maybe I'd just be better converting my current 2e2 carb to injection and getting a bigger 5th gear!??

Back to the top
What's your skills, experience, how much is "not too much dollar" to you, etc. Do you have a second car to use in the meantime while you're doing the engine conversion? Or looking to do it in a weekend? etc etc

Have a look at some of the engine conversion threads, for example:

* GAMMYGOLFGTI's just done a 16V conversion,
* tamthebam16v I think too - worth checking his thread out
* redpetemk1

Trying to fit all the necessary work into a weekend means you'll inevitibly cut corners and you'll have running issues after.

Back to the top
I am fairly new to all this and this would definately be my first engine conversion! I have done a few minor mechanical jobs on my car, the hardest of them being a 4 out of 5 difficulty according to the haynes!

I have a friend who are keen amateur mechanics, have the space and the tools neccessary to do the work (he builds kit cars in his spare time), and although I do have access to another, I was rather thinking I'd take a weeks holiday, drive over to my friends garage, and maybe take 2-3 days doing it, and then the rest of the time tweaking (and possibly drinking knowing us……).

I can get a 2.0 16v 9a for 50, then I'd need the k-jet system (100?), wiring loom (30?), gearbox (50?), other stuff (??).

So, as a very, very rough figure, i'd like to be able to do it for less than 400. Not taking into account suspension; which will need doing too.

Cheers for your help peeps

Officer Downs

Back to the top
Other stuff (??):

exhaust manifold
exhaust system (or adapting to your existing - will slightly reduce performance though)
heat shielding steering components from exhaust
fuel tank
fuel pump
fuel accumulator
larger fuel lines inc high pressure fittings
fuel pump relay
throtte cable adaption
air box
warm up regulator (is this included in your £100 K-Jet system)
ISV + electronic module OR AAV + adapting pipework
ignition ECU
dizzy cap, or swap master cylinder/reservoir/servo for clearance reasons
thermo time switch
oil cooler

Are you going to refit a secondhand box as-is or change the gearbox oil (££), same with engine oil, air filter, fuel filter, oil filter, etc. Repack CVJs while you're there? See to any corrosion or paintwork while the engine's out (steering rack mounts is a common issue).

Is your £50 engine okay? Worth changing the cambelt and tensioner while its out and easy to access? Plugs too? Maybe it needs a head gasket, skim, and top end rebuild (while its out, its something which is much easier and will improve starting/performance). I bet the inter cam chain is worn too. Also you'll want to change the inlet cam to a KR item while you're there, otherwise you'll be restricting it to 135bhp or so (the 9A cam is specced for a catalyst car so has shortish duration to prevent overlap).

Then you'll need to look at your radiator - if its a 1.6 then it will have a smaller rad which will need replacing. Similar with the oil cooler as mentioned - the stock GTI air-oil cooler isn't that big, and gets clogged up with time, as does the oil thermostat, so worth using a slightly larger aftermarket one. You'll need a sandwich plate since the existing oil line sizes are an unusual size, try adapting one to another and you'll have no space. etc etc

Clutch???

Lots of little things I've probably missed too, and that's not even considering matching anti roll bars, springs, dampers, brakes, wheels, tyres, etc to the new level of performance.

Back to the top
400 pound you could get a complete donor car that would be my 1st line of attack on this
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.