Skip navigation

mk1 tintop with oettinger

Back to the top

mk1 tintop with oettinger

Definitely wanna see her at the agm  :thumbs:

The refurbed wheel looks fantastic.

Back to the top
In for mot this morning.  Going for another full weekend at edition at the end of the month in this if anyone fancies a nosey.

Back to the top
I put the old girl in the garage in November and wheeled her out on Friday for a few jobs and a clean. Not too shabby eh? Back on the road in may

Back to the top
I remember this car back in the early 90's -a really well known car at the time.  The owner was Chris Williams if I remember rightly. I will have his old address if you are interested, but will be in some old Club GTI magazines up the loft, just let me know.

when he put those 15" Compomotives on it seemed like something from outer space at the time, first UK MK1 that I saw with them onc

Last edit: by RichardHall

Golf GTI Campaign 1983 Mars Red, Ford S-Max 2015, Audi TT 180 quattro 2003, Fiat 500C 2013, Golf GTE MK7.5

image.jpeg

Back to the top
Yeah this one used to belong to Chris.  He had 15" comps fitted when he had it and I have a set identical tucked away ready to be refurbished. 
Chris and a fella called Graham who had the oettinger engine built for his own car should be coming up to me when PGO is taxed to take her for a blast for old times sake. 

Back to the top
Have been making the most of the sunny weather all weekend and driving the mk1 as much as possible.  Although now changing gear has gone from vague to just blind luck. New gear linkage kit on order

Back to the top
It's been a while,  early signs of head gasket failure are present so now we're looking like this. 
Both the engine and the bay are getting a freshen up to make pretty again. 

Back to the top
Since the last photo I have got all of the waxoyl and grime off from the engine bay. 
Got myself a decent compressor set up and made a start with the sand blaster and primer 
She will go to the ball  :P

Back to the top
And with a splash of red under the bonnet she looks like this.

Just need to put it back together now. 

Back to the top
Will this be ready for AGM , or too much to do yet?  Would love to see it again after all the years.

Golf GTI Campaign 1983 Mars Red, Ford S-Max 2015, Audi TT 180 quattro 2003, Fiat 500C 2013, Golf GTE MK7.5

image.jpeg

Back to the top
It won't be ready for the agm,  getting it usable this year before winter is an optimistic target given the lack of free time .
Will definitely be getting plenty of use when back together though, I'm having withdrawal symptoms now. 

Back to the top
Re - wrapped the exhaust,  taped up the loom, put all the dash and interior bits back in and put a few more bits back on last Sunday. 
A decent days progress  :thumbs:

Back to the top
It's been nearly 3 years since I messed with this.
I've put my cabby up for sale to give me space at home  for this one.
Can't wait to get stuck in,  have missed my little red mk1

Back to the top
It is a little sweetie  :lol:

I can see why you missed her  ;)

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Guess what is finally (it's only been 5 and a half years) back in one piece.
Having a few issues with the fuelling but it will be running again soon
20200426_130231.jpg

Back to the top
Double post

Last edit: by sweetmk1dub

Back to the top
20220217_163055.jpg 20211231_165927.jpg
So I've bought a few toys for the old mk1.
I took it off the road at the end of summer and currently have the rear beam off as I want to take the problematic aftermarket fuel tank off and replace it for a good genuine one i have to get rid of starvation issues on cornering,  think I've got a stainless filler neck somewhere for it too.
Going to be much more fun to drive this summer.
There are too many online users to list.